We Are Tamanend Together!
April 28, 2023
Tamanend 9th Graders Recognized in C-SPAN's Student Cam Competition
C-SPAN’s Student Cam competition is an annual student documentary competition sponsored by C-SPAN. The process begins with a theme and has students create a 5-6 minute documentary around that theme. This year’s theme was "If you were a newly elected member of Congress, which issue would be your first priority and why?" Five students at Tamanend volunteered to participate in the competition, working from October to January in two groups. Both groups did phenomenal jobs, and one group’s submission, “America’s Silent Struggle: Social Media’s Impact on Teen Mental Health” earned the honorable mention and were honored on Thursday from representatives from C-SPAN, Comcast, and local and state representatives. Congratulations to Maximilian Jin, Luka Jonjic, and Dylan Schwartz!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Deadline to Order Tamanend Yearbook--Last opportunity to order a yearbook (details below)
AcaTamaJam--Friday, April 28 at 7:00
Teacher Appreciation Week--Monday, May 1 to Friday, May 5 (details below)
Math PSSA Testing (for 7th and 8th Graders)--Tuesday, May 2 to Wednesday, May 3 at 7:00 PM (details below)
Spring Concert & Arts Festival #1--Thursday, May 4 at 7:00 PM (details below)
8th Grade Class Trip to Gettysburg--Friday, May 5
Spring Concert & Arts Festival #2--Monday, May 8 at 7:00 PM (details below)
Science PSSA Testing (for 8th Graders)--Tuesday, May 9 (details below)
Orchestra Spring Arts Festival Concert--Thursday, May 11 (details below)
- Students playing Spring sports and bringing bags/equipment for sports are to leave them in their regular hallway locker. Anything that does not fit in those lockers can be stored in 7th period classrooms.
- Open gyms for boys basketball for 8th graders and above started Thursday, April 13 from 6:30 to 8:30 at CB South.
- Boys who are currently in 8th or 9th grades and interested in playing soccer for CB South next year are encouraged to reach out to Coach Pettican at KPETTICAN@CBSD.ORG and provide your name, grade, and email address. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall.
- On Friday April 21, the CB Titan wrestling program started hosting FREE Friday night sessions for all interested student grades K thru 6 for 7 whole weeks. These sessions combine wrestling-based drills along with gymnastic style games to not only introduce the sport to your child but begin forging the basic skills of our sport into our future wrestlers. Click HERE for details.
· If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
Monday, May 1
- 7th grade girls soccer vs. Unami (H; 3:15)
- Boys tennis @ Unami; (A; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15 (travels with boys lacrosse)
- Boys lacrosse @ Unami; (A; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15 (travels with boys tennis)
- JV softball vs. Tohickon (H; 3:15)
- Girls lacrosse vs. Unami (H; 3:15)
Tuesday, May 2
- 8th Grade baseball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade girls soccer vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
Wednesday, May 3
- 7th Grade baseball @ Unami (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- 7th Grade girls soccer @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- JV softball @ Unami (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- Boys Tennis vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Boys Lacrosse vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Snyder (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Lacrosse @ Lenape; (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
Thursday, May 4
- 8th Grade Baseball @ New Hope-Solebury (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 1:30
- Varsity Softball @ New Hope-Solebury (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 1:30
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer @ Shafer (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 1:00
Friday, May 5
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Holland (Home; 3:15)
A Reminder for Students Staying After School to Watch Athletic Competitions
Students who stay after school to watch games are expected to be at the field/court to support our teams. Walking around campus and/or inside the school is not permitted. When watching games, students are reminded to be positive, respectful, and well-behaved as there are other students, parents, grandparents, officials, etc. who are in attendance and have come to expect mature and appropriate behavior from Tamanend students. When games finish, spectators are not permitted to use fields or other facilities. Arrangements should be made ahead of time for students to be picked up from Tamanend by 4:30. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Your cooperation is appreciated.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
A Cappella April Continues Tonight with AcaTamaJam at 7:00 PM
If you’re in the mood for some great music tonight, come check out AcaTamaJam here at Tamanend, at 7:00pm. Featuring middle school singers from several local middle schools, AcaTamaJam is a friendly a cappella competition that includes performances from Tamanend’s own Gold’n’Blues and Chieftain Chorus. See more details in the flyer above. This event is the second half of “AcaApril.” This past Saturday, April 22nd, Tamanend hosted the CB A Cappella Festival, with 350 CB middle school students singing throughout the day, and culminating with an amazing concert by our guest artists, The Trills. Enjoy the photos below, courtesy of Zak Robson.
It's Time Tamanend's Spring Arts Festival Concerts!
Thursday, May 4th (Chorus & Band Spring Arts Festival Concert #1) at 7:00 PM
9th Gr. Band
7th Gr. Band
8th Gr. Chorus
Monday, May 8th (Chorus & Band Spring Arts Festival Concert #2) at 7:00 PM
7th Gr. Chorus
8th Gr. Band
9th Gr. Chorus
Thursday, May 11th (Orchestra Spring Arts Festival Concerts) at 7:00 PM
7th Gr. Orchestra
8th Gr. Orchestra
9th Gr. Orchestra
Reminder--PSSA Testing for 7th and 8th Graders Begins April 24
This information provides an update to families regarding PSSA testing and scheduling in our school this year. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all school districts to administer PSSA testing for the 2022-23 school year. The Pennsylvania System of School Assessment is aligned with the PA Standards. The English Language Arts and Mathematics PSSAs are administered in grades 3 through 8 and the Science PSSA is administered in grade 4 and grade 8. The specific dates for the English Language Arts (online), Mathematics (paper/pencil), and Science (online) Assessments are listed below.
Tamanend Testing Schedule
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Monday, April 24th--Section 1 @ 8:00AM
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Tuesday, April 25th--Section 2 @ 8:00AM
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Wednesday, April 26th--Section 3 @ 8:00AM
Mathematics--7th & 8th grades--Tuesday, May 2nd--Section 1 @ 8:00AM
Mathematics--7th & 8th grades--Wednesday, May 3rd--Section 2 @ 8:00AM
Science--8th Grade--Tuesday, May 9th--Sections 1 & 2 @ 8:00AM
Students learn all skills, concepts, and content necessary to take the assessment within their daily reading, writing, mathematics and science instruction. These assessments are critically important; please encourage your child to do their best. The results will be one of the measures we use as we make curricular updates and revisions. Individual performance will be one of the factors we consider when determining which students need additional support or enrichment. The data will help the district plan support for students who are not meeting the expectation of proficient on the exam. Additional information from PDE, including general information and the electronics policy, is enclosed. Each year there is a question regarding whether students must take the PSSA. A parent/guardian may choose to exempt their child from participating in the exam(s) if the tested content is found to be in conflict with their religious beliefs as per PA Code 22, Chapter 4.4. To exclude your child from taking one or more PSSA Exam(s), a parent/guardian must complete the following actions required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
1. Email the School Assessment Coordinator. For our school, please email Mr. Dudley, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to request an appointment to view the exam(s) to determine if they conflict with your religious beliefs.
2. Report to Tamanend at the appointed time and sign the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Confidentiality Agreement prior to viewing the exams.
3. Write a letter to the Superintendent of Schools for Central Bucks School District, Dr. Abram M. Lucabaugh, stating the specific exam(s) you want your child exempt from for religious reasons. Submit the letter to Tamanend’s Assessment Coordinator, at email@example.com.
A reminder that students need to bring a calculator on the Math PSSA testing days.
Reminder--Teacher Appreciation Week is May 1 to May 5
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Mandala Coloring Enrichment During Tiger's i
Origami Enrichment Activity During Tiger's i
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
A Reminder About the Morning Car Line
Reminder--Pennsylvania Seal of Biliteracy
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
UPCOMING DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Mike Pettine Foundation's Dream Big Rally is May 13
Reminder--Warrington Warriors Football and Cheerleading Seasons Begin August 1
Reminder--CBSD Summer Camp
Bucks County Prevention Day--May 10
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Bathroom
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- Verifications for current 7th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Thursday, February 16th.
- Verifications for current 8th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Tuesday, February 28th.
- Verifications for current 9th Grade students were posted in the Parent Portal on Friday, March 17th and are to be confirmed by Wednesday, March 29th. (If using the Parent Portal app, select the menu and go to “More”, then “Backpack” in order to view and confirm.)
- The CB South Curriculum Fair for next year's 10th Graders was held on Thursday, January 5th. CB South's Program Planning & Curriculum page contains videos from across their various departments and can help give a sense of their offerings. Paramount to the high school transition are relationships and connectedness. Tamanend and CB South counselors will continue to plan and program for relationship-building opportunities as your child transitions to high school, including the forthcoming program planning assembly with high school and middle school counselors, curriculum fair, Q&A with high school counselors during the Intervention and Enrichment time, and welcome days at the high schools. We will share more information about these exciting events soon. Please reach out to your child’s counselor for additional assistance and information as we work together to support this transition.
- MBIT’s Open House was held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) to see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer.
Reminder--NAMI Free Talk on Anxiety in Children and Teens
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
Reminder--If Your Child's Laptop Screen Breaks
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) email@example.com
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) email@example.com
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Hartz, Secretary email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900