Linda King, 1st grade JCMES
How can it be???
Friday, June 1st
PE shoes required!!
Our postponed field trip happens THIS Thursday! No flip flops or sandals, please!
Early Release Days
The last week of school (June 4--7) are early release days!
Things to do over the summer
Learning is a year round activity!!
2. Encourage your child to WRITE! They can write letters, keep a journal of summer activities, make lists (like a grocery list for you!)....there are endless possibilities! Authentic opportunities to write are best. If they write to me, I will write them back!
PO Box 1157
New Market, VA 22844
3. Cook together. The measuring required in cooking is great for math development! Also, baking offers a chance to explore some chemistry (like how when baking a cake, the batter goes from a liquid to a solid when heat is added!)
4. Build something together. Home Depot offers kids building opportunities with bird houses and other small items.
5. Learn something new. Your family can work together on learning about another country or culture. Explore a science topic of interest. There are a lot of local opportunities for related experiences! (JMU has a free planetarium on Saturdays, visit a farm, check out one of the local historic sites....so many possibilities!)
6. Grow something together! Studies have shown that being in and working with nature can help children focus, develop patience and has a calming affect.
7. Go technology free for a time each day. Practice talking and listening without the distraction of TV, phones, tablets or other devices. True conversation is becoming a lost art!