Effectively Teaching Math in the Classroom
ASSESSMENT must occur frequently!
CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT/ENVIRONMENT must be consistent!
WORK TOGETHER :D
"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend" - Albert Camus
- Team Teaching Model [take turns during the entire lesson]
- Parallel Teaching Model [2 different learning styles being taught simultaneously - 1 by each teacher]
- Station Teaching [2-5 stations and teachers split supervision]
What types of instruction are options for occasional use?
- One Teach, One Assist [one takes the lead, and one observes/helps out]
- Alternative Teaching [small groups either struggling or enrichment]
How do we make it fun?
- Each teacher focuses on what he/she enjoys teaching
- Split the workload!
- Plan ahead! It will run smoothly :]
SUCCESSFULLY USING THE STATION MODEL
Plan the objectives of each station.
Don't forget about the small details [length of time at each station, time to rotate, etc]
Decide who will monitor each section!