News from the Nest
Health and Wellness
I hope everyone had a wonderful break!
Now it is time to roll up our sleeves
and trek for the finish line…June!
So far I haven’t seen too much illness. We are holding our own here at Mercersburg.
I’m sure that would be fine with all of you, as well as me, if it stays that way. But working with school age children, I can tell you the chances of that happening are slim.
Please keep your child home if he/she has:
Your child should not have any vomiting, diarrhea or fever for 24 hours prior to coming to school. This means that without medication your child does not have a fever.
Cough drops-If you want to be sure that your child will have cough drops when needed, please send in a bag and I will put your child’s name on it.
Clothing-Every day I see numerous spills and children who just couldn’t “make it”.
I try to provide clean, dry clothes but I don’t always have the right sizes. If anyone has elastic band pants that you are going to get rid of, please send them my way. I have plenty of bigger girl pants, but not many for small girls, big or small boys. They do not need to be in perfect condition. Just enough to get a child out of wet clothes for the day. I appreciate your help!
School starts at 7:40
- Please send an excuse with your child upon their return to school. After 3 days without an excuse, the day becomes unexcused.
- After 10 days absent from school students are required to have a doctor's note for the day to be considered excused.
- Parent drop off and pick up is in the rear of the building.
- Please label your child's belongings. It makes it much easier to return lost items when they include a first and last name.
- The 2nd marking period is quickly coming to an end on January ??th
- Special thanks to all of our parent volunteers. We couldn't do it without you!
- The front bus ramp is not for parent drop-offs unless it is 7:40 or later.
As we approach the second half of our school year, please be aware that if you are planning to volunteer for any school day event, which include FIELD TRIPS, Race for Ed, and Fun Day, you must complete and submit the following clearances to the Tuscarora School District Human Resources department:
Volunteer Registration Form
Child Abuse History Clearance
PA Criminal Record Check
Act 24 – Arrest/Conviction Form
Federal Criminal History Record Check
Tuberculin Test Results Form
Mandated Reporter Training (instructions provided in Volunteer Letter)
Volunteer packets with clearance applications, forms and directions, are available in the school office and on the school district’s website at www.tus.k12.pa.us (select Mercersburg under “TSD Schools” tab, then listed under “Volunteer Clearances” tab). Some applications may take several weeks to process, so plan accordingly to obtain volunteer approval before end of year activities take place.
Notes to school
- If your child is absent from school, a note stating the reason for absence must be turned in to the office within 3 days or the absence will be counted as an unlawful absence.
- Include child's first AND LAST NAME on any notes sent from home.
- Notes should be sent anytime you are planning to pick up your child for an early dismissal.
- Notes for sending your child home on a different bus should be limited to emergency requests.
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION PRESS RELEASE
Kindergarten Registration for the 2019-20 school year is scheduled for children who will be five years of age on or before September 1, 2019. Please call the school your child will attend to establish an appointment for the dates listed below. You may call, at your earliest convenience, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at the following extensions.
Monday, March 25th at Mercersburg - ext. 2500
Tuesday, March 26th at Montgomery - ext. 2400
Wednesday March 27th at St. Thomas - ext. 2700
Thursday, March 28th at Mountain View - ext. 2600
Registration times available are 12:00 p.m. through 7:00 p.m. To be more efficient, we prefer that you make an appointment as soon as possible. However, if you are unable to pre-register for a specific time, walk-ins will be accepted. Please recognize that appointments that have been scheduled will be handled before walk-ins, therefore, be prepared for a possible wait.
In addition to scheduling an appointment to register, please go to the Tuscarora School District’s website at www.tus.k12.pa.us to complete important student information prior to your appointment. If you do not have a computer, there are computers available at each school.
Directions: go to www.tus.k12.pa.us >Departments & Services > Registration > Kindergarten Registration. Follow the directions to create a new account. Login > Kindergarten Registration Form 2019-20.
If you are unable to load documents to the computer, simply bring them with you to your appointment.
Speech and general kindergarten preparedness screening will take place at the time of registration; please bring your child with you.
The following information is required on the day of registration:
· Proof of child’s age – birth certificate, baptismal certificate
· Custodial documentation (if applicable)
· Immunization Record
· Two proofs of residency in the Tuscarora School District
· If your child(ren) will be transported from/to child care, please bring the name, address, and contact number of the provider. The child care must be within the boundary of the school your child attends.
The following documented immunizations are required for entrance into kindergarten:
· 4 Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis (one dose on or after the 4th birthday)
· 3 Polio
· 2 Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
· 3 Hepatitis B
· 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) – either vaccine or date of disease
TWEP Open House
2018-2019 TWEP Open House Schedule at Charles Brightbill Environmental Center:
Sunday, February 3 - 2:00 - 4:00 - Game Day, come enjoy TWEP Nature Bingo, Bird Bingo
and more, games begin at 2:30
Sunday, March 3 - 2:00 - 4:00 - “Continental Critters”
presented by the Catoctin Zoo * in the JBHS auditorium at 3:00;
Elementary Art Show at the Center from 2:00 - 3:00 and
Sunday, April 7 - 2:00 - 4:00 - tentative, Cumberland Valley Woodcarvers
Thursday, May 2 - 6:00 - 8:00 - High School/Middle School Art Show with
Sunday, May 5 - 2:00 - 4:00 - Open House; No program planned
Open House events are free at the Center, unless otherwise noted with *
Want to visit the Center, but can’t make the dates? Call the Center 717-328-2126 and make
arrangements for a visit at another time.
Watch our TWEP website at www.twep.org for all current info and “Friend” us on Facebook