Dr. Melvin C. Swann Middle School
Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal as Swann Lions' our goal for reopening our schools is to serve the most students for the greatest amount of time possible while keeping students and staff healthy and safe. While we are eager to welcome students back to our classrooms, the health and safety for students and staff must come first. Please note that information contained in this FAQ is subject to change as new information, data or state directives become available.
Why is GCS starting school on August 17 instead of August 24 as originally planned?
How many weeks of remote instruction is GCS planning?
What if I don’t feel comfortable sending my child back to school when schools reopen for in-person learning?
What will remote learning look like?
- Students will access pre-recorded content
- School staff will also make sure students/guardians understand the health protocols that will be place when schools reopen for in-person instruction.
- Live, online instruction, virtual small group sessions and individual check-ins with students/guardians will start after Labor Day, on Tuesday, Sep. 8.
How will remote learning be different than the 2019-20 school year?
- Teachers will provide feedback on submitted assignments and students will receive grades, pending any new direction from state officials.
- We anticipate that remote instruction will be better this fall, but we don’t expect it to be perfect.
- Swann will provide a suggested live instruction schedule for students and families.
When students return to Swann, will SMOD (standard mode of dress) be required?
What if I transfer my child to the virtual academy and find out it’s not a good fit?
Will my child receive a school schedule?
What school supplies will my student need?
How can I cancel a virtual learning application (e-learning academy)?
How can I receive a device for my child?
Once we receive a device for your child, we will contact you.