Three weeks and counting!
News This Week
Friday is the last library day for the year, so please do a clean sweep at the house and send in your library books. We will continue with AR using classroom books.
Save These Dates
If you are able to attend any of these fun activities, we'd love to have you!
- Wednesday, May 13 - Walking trip to Public Works Day at Lott Park - around 9-12
- Friday, May 15 - Field Day at Daphne, Elementary - all day event
- Wednesday, May 20 - First Grade Fun Day - around 8-12
First Grade Fun Day
A letter is coming home about fun day. Please send $4.00 cash by Friday to help cover the cost. Lunch will be provided this day.
This is the last week of our reading series with typical Friday tests. Next week we will finish with an end-of-unit test, sight words assessment, and oral reading grade. AR will continue throughout. We will start our last math unit this week (shapes) and complete an end-of-year math test before the 15th. There isn't anything to "study" but we will go over skills that we've covered this year.
Studies This Week
- Story: Reading Street Unit 5, Week 6 - Benjamin Franklin and his First Kite
- Skills: Theme and Asking Questions
- Phonics: prefixes re- and un-
- Phonics: long vowels i and o
- Sight words: answered, brothers, carry, different, poor
- Practice at home: Read decodables and AR books
- Practice spelling and writing words.
- Visit spellingcity.com/meverette for more practice.
- Words this week: unhappy, refill, untie, undo, repay, unkind, undress, retell, reopen, refund
- Unit 8 - Twos, Fives, and Tens
- Unit 9 - Describing and comparing shapes
- We are working on "plus 10" which is knowing 9 + 6 = 10 + 5 or 6 + 7 = 10 + _____
- We will finish Unit 8 and start Unit 9, which is out last math unit (about 3D shapes)
These words are used in English, math, or science we will learn throughout the week. Words are NOT tested, but will help understanding. Students are not expected to be able to spell these words.
- contraption, curious, doubt, energy, glider, intelligent, manned, unmanned, soar
- counting on, addition equation, pattern, equal groups, combine, addend, less than, equals, combination, sum
- root, stem, bud, flower, leaf, photosynthesis, grow, sprout, soil
Writing & Grammar
- Pronouns- he, him, her, she, us, we, I, me
- Written responses - how to answer questions fully
- Expository and Descriptive writing
- Mother's Day
- Past and Present
$4.00 cash for fun day - send by Friday!
4- DES SGA attends City Council Mtg 6:30PM
6- K Orientation
8- Final Library Day
9- PTA Landscape Day to get ready for Field Day
10- Mother's Day
13- Daphne Public Work's Day
1st Gr. Walking FT
14- 1st Grade AR Award Day
15- Field Day
20- 1st Gr Celebration (rotations)
22- Last Day for students 1/2 Day dismissal
Report Cards go home
25- Memorial Day Holiday
26- Teacher Workday