E.C. Glass Newsletter
Message from Dr. Garrett (aka Indiana Jones)
Glass Theatre playwrighting students are busy at home rehearsing original plays and performing via Zoom for schools across the country
thanks to Theatrelink, a virtual mentoring program with Broadway's Manhattan Theatre Club. Big congrats to Claire Harvey and Bobby Vinson whose monologues were selected from 200+ High School submissions around the world in the MTC monologue writing contest! You make EC Glass proud!
Director, Glass Theatre 2019
E. C. Glass High School
2111 Memorial Avenue
Lynchburg, Virginia 24501
"Every child by name and by need
Attention all parents of AP students. Testing begins next Monday, May 11, and runs through Friday, May 22. Your AP student(s) should have all recently received The AP Testing Guide via email. This guide contains EVERYTHING your student needs to know regarding the testing procedure. Also, on Monday, May 4, I sent all AP parents a newsletter containing information that will help you support your student(s) and ensure success on test day(s). Reminder: All AP students are required by LCS to take the AP Exam in order to get AP credit for the course. Please email Mrs. Wise, AP Test Coordinator at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Media SpecialistE. C. Glass High School
In March, students competed in the global Nutty Tilez competition through This Is Language. They competed against almost 10,000 other students across the globe, typing target-language words quickly and accurately, in an attempt to be crowned Nutty champion! One incredible student from E.C. Glass High placed in the top 10 in the Nutty Tilez competition: Lily Stinson came in 7th place in Latin! The World Languages Department is so proud of Lily's achievement!
Beacon of Hope
Beacon of Hope Updates
For photos from National Decision Day on May 1st, you can follow us on Instagram (@lynchburgbeaconofhope and @ecg_futurecenter) Twitter (@LYHbeaconofhope), and Facebook. Stay tuned for the new TikTok account! We understand that many students are still finalizing their plans for fall, and we are still accepting photo submissions at this link: https://forms.gle/X5fm7c9sU4sreu618.
Congrats, Class of 2020!
Stay Home | Be Respectful | Be Responsible | Be Safe
Heidi R. Vande Hoef, M.Ed.
Future Center Director
E.C. Glass High School, Room C107
( 4 3 4 ) 6 6 1 - 8 1 4 4
I will be checking my email throughout the day as my office hours are Monday-Friday from 9 am-3 pm. I am also available to meet virtually upon your (or your family's) request. If you would like to meet via webcast, just send me an email.
- Course selections: Students who still need to be scheduled for next school year; I have your course request sheets and will be inputting your requests as is. For students who I didn't get a chance to meet with to discuss your course selections, I will be in contact. Please keep in mind that you still have until June 5th to request changes. Email me if you have scheduling questions and/or concerns. The 2020-2021 Program of Studies can be viewed at this link, https://www.lcsedu.net/sites/default/files/pdfs/curriculum/hs_program_of_studies_2020-21.pdf?v=011020.
- Scholarship opportunities: For scholarship opportunities and deadlines, students may refer to the Google Scholarship Classroom (code epk62p2) and LCS student email accounts. Mrs. Farrow, Scholarship Coordinator, communicates regularly through the google classroom, students' LCS email accounts and Facebook. Mrs. Farrow's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcripts: Transcript requests should be made through Parchment, which is the electronic transcript service. If students need their account information, they can contact Jean Long, Registrar, at email@example.com or Tracy Miller-Goode, Director of School Counseling, at firstname.lastname@example.org for Parchment account information. Transcripts are updated on a yearly basis.
- Teacher recommendations: Students are encouraged to reach out to teachers and request teacher recommendations. Please allow your teacher ample time to complete your recommendation.
- LCS Grading Plan: please visit this link on the LCS main website, https://www.lcsedu.net/2020/04/08/lcs-modified-grading-practice-due-covid-19-closure
Thinking of you and your family!
Director of School Counseling
E.C. Glass High School
Fax: (434) 522-3746
For Summer 2020, the only LCS summer online course that will be offered is Personal Finance & Economics. A flyer is attached for your information and/or you can visit this website, https://www.lcsedu.net/parents/summer-school/summer-online-courses.
- The registration window is open and will close on Friday, June 5, 2020.
- The course will start on June 15, 2020 and end on July 24, 2020.
- Payment can be made via MySchoolBucks or MAIL a check or money order to the School Administration building.
Director of School Counseling
Class of 2020
Videos For Class of 2020
Please see messages for the Class of 2020 by clicking the links below.
You Rock Class of 2020!
Cap and Gown Distribution
Attention Glass Seniors! We are going to have a cap and gown distribution day on May 12th from 10am-noon. Before you come, please clearly write your legal name (last name, first name) and your height on a sheet of paper and tape it to the front passenger side windshield so it is visible, but won't block the driver's view. We ask that you pull into the bus loop and stay in your car! Caps and gowns will be distributed at the Auditorium door entrance. If you have any questions, please reach out to your senior sponsors via email or through the senior google classroom.
Dr. Lillian Guzlowski
E.C. Glass High School
Senior Surveys have been sent out via email and posted in your Google Scholarship Classroom. Seniors must have it completed and submitted by Friday, May 22nd.
Teacher Appreciation Week
Yearbook Update: The Crest yearbook staff have worked diligently through the school closure. We are happy to announce that the 2019- 2020 yearbook has been completed on time and submitted to the press. Due to Covid-19, the plant in Kansas City had to be shut down temporarily. We are now being told that our yearbooks will be ready 4 weeks after the initial ship date. For those of you that have purchased the yearbook we want to reassure you that the yearbook is still be printed with the goal of being available for distribution this summer. We are in constant communication with the printers and we will keep you posted on how you can pick up your yearbook when they are ready. If you are still interested in purchasing the yearbook, you can still do so on My School Bucks or www.yearbookordercenter.com code: 10464.
CHANGE TO MEAL DELIVERIES
Starting Monday, March 30, we will be giving out two days’ worth of meals on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This will include two breakfasts, two lunches, and four cartons of milk. We will not be delivering meals on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
We are adding meal pick up sites on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at the following Parks and Recreation Centers from 11:00 a.m. to noon and reducing bus routes surrounding these locations:
∙ College Hill Neighborhood Center
∙ Daniel’s Hill Neighborhood Center
∙ Jefferson Park Neighborhood Center
∙ Diamond Hill Neighborhood Center
∙ Fairview Heights Neighborhood Center
We will continue to offer curbside pickup on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at our four school Command Centers from 11:00 a.m. to noon:
∙ E. C. Glass High School
∙ Heritage High School
∙ Dunbar Middle School
∙ Linkhorne Middle School
School buses and vans will continue making meal deliveries at bus stops throughout the city on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Please check our website regularly for the latest on bus stop meal delivery locations and to find the meal site closest to you.
Transportation will be in the buildings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only. If your bus did not come to your usual stop and you have a question about the stop or need them to return, contact transportation at 515-5100 on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
CONTINUITY OF LEARNING FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS PLEASE CLINK ON THE LINK BELOW;