- Found in 1664 by Peter Minuit.
- Named after the Duke of York and Albany, the brother of King Charles II of England.
- Natural resources: Good farmland, timber, furs and coal. Iron ore was a particularly important natural resource.
- The Middle Colonies were the big food producing region that included corn and wheat and livestock including beef and pork.
- found in 1660 by Lord Berkeley.
- Named after the British island of Jersey, situated in the English Channel and part of the Channel Islands.
Middle colonies had
Warm summers and
Reason for finding was for
Trades and profits