Di Dong yi
An Ancient Chinese Invention
Why was it invented?
- He invented it so he can prove that earthquakes were not signs of Heaven's anger but natural disasters.
- To determine the direction of an earthquake
How does it work?
When an earthquake occurred it would cause the pendulum to lose balance and activate a set of levers inside. Then, one of the eight dragons outside the urn would release the bronze ball held in its mouth. The ball would fall into the mouth of the toad and give off a sound letting people know when and in which direction an earthquake had occurred.
Di Dong yi characteristics
- Made of copper
- Had a tall rounded vase shape and had a pendulum in the center
- Had 8 dragons on the surface each head pointing to a different direction
- At the base there were eight copper toads raising their heads and opening their mouths opposite of the dragon's mouth.
Any further invention got inspired or created by this one and what's the connection?
The seismograph was created based of this Chinese invention. The seismograph is basically the same as the Di Dong yi except that a seismograph works differently and it tells us the size of the earthquake not the direction in which it goes and it looks different.