By: Brianna Lee
A relatively high-energy photon with wavelength in the approximate range from 0.01 to 10 nano meters corresponding to frequencies in the range 30 petahertz to 30 exahertz (3×10^16Hz to 3×10 ^19Hz) and energies in the range 100 eV to 100 keV . They are shorter in wavelength than UV rays and longer than gamma rays
Medical x ray machines
- X rays and also gamma rays are used in radiation therapy to kill diseased cells
- X-rays can easily penetrate low-density material, such as flesh. They are reflected or absorbed, however, by high-density material such as bone. The picture made by an X-ray machine shows the denser materials (like bones) as dark areas.
- Baggage scanner
Benefits & Advantages
- fast — the results of X-rays are often available the same day, in simple cases even within the hour
- are painless and non-invasive
- don’t require any special preparation (except when contrast media is used)
- require no recovery time — you can go straight back to work or school after an X-ray is finished.
- If a woman is pregnant they have to notify the doctor and tell them so the can take special measure so the baby isn't harmed in any kind of way
- Radiation can cause cell damage
- cancer if exposed to a lot of radiation
X-ray scanner for Airport Security - Unique Material Discrimination - IBS/Scantech