Coronado Middle School - January 18-22, 2021
Jan 18 MLK, Jr. Day - No School
Jan 19 CHS and CoSA Preview Night for 2021-2022 9th Graders CoSA Preview Night 6:00pm
Jan 20: Inauguration Day
Lunch activity for students and staff One of a Kind zoom Password: CMSNNCW
Jan 22: Lunch activity for students and staff Fishing for Kindness zoom Password: CMSNNCW
It's No Name Calling Week
This goal of this week is to promote dialogue and activities to stop bullying, social cruelty and name-calling in our school and community. Please encourage your students to join us for the lunch activities this week. (links above)
End of Semester 1: Thursday, January 28, 2021 is the last day of the semester. Report cards will be mailed home on Friday, February 5, 2021.
Semester 2: Phase 4 targeted to begin February 1st: A detailed outline of information will be provided later this week in a special Triton News update.
Phase 4 Schedule:
- Please note the NEW schedule and start time of 8:05 am. (Schedule link below)
- Phase 4 schedule will begin upon return to campus.
- Attendance: If your child is sick or unable to participate in school on any given day, please contact our attendance clerk, Mrs. Karnas at 619-522-8921 ext. 3096 or email at email@example.com
- Please be sure to check your email regularly. Click on the link to learn how to set up your PowerSchool email notifications PS email notifications
- CUSD Covid-19 Dashboard
CMS is participating in the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS), a health and well-being survey for 7th graders administered in partnership with the California Department of Education. The aim of the survey is to compile data about the student population to best understand the make-up and experience of the student body, evaluate programs that address student needs, and shape needed services. The survey is designed to gather trend data on key areas of health and behavioral risks, including alcohol, tobacco and drugs, and gain an understanding of individual student perceptions of their health & wellbeing, school safety and the learning environment.
For further information, you are also encouraged to visit the California Healthy Kids Survey website at http://chks.wested.org/ and https://calschls.org/about/the-surveys/#chks to review the survey and see the frequently asked questions. Please email CMS counseling office at firstname.lastname@example.org only if you do NOT wish your child to participate in the survey. The survey will be administered to 7th graders during T3 on January 25, 2021.
CoSA- CHS Coronado School of the Arts
Attention 8th Grade Parents/Guardians:
CoSA is hosting two Zoom events in the new year.
- CoSA Preview Night on January 19 at 6:00 PM for all prospective applicants and families.
Applications are available here 2021-22 CoSA Applications
- Application materials are due by February 8. 2021.
More information can be found at CoSASanDiego.com
Attention 8th Grade Families - Yearbook Recognition Ads are Available
The last day to purchase an 8th grade recognition ad is Jan. 29. For an Ad click HERE
Jan. 29 is also the last day to personalize your yearbook purchase. Buy a book HERE
Yearbook recognition ads are a great way for parents, families, and friends to commemorate student achievements and important milestones.
To purchase your ad, follow the ad content guidelines and instructions below. Yearbook publisher, Jostens, is managing all yearbook ad sales. Please do not contact or send materials to CMS.
All orders must be placed by January 29, 2021.
1/4 page = $90
1/8 page = $45
IT’S EASY! Create your ad online at www.jostensadservice.com
- Choose your ad size and layout.
- Enter your text and upload your photos.
Important information about Yearbook Recognition Ads
- Our school reserves the right to edit ads per our guidelines. Ex. remove any explicit text, graphic photos or copyright-protected imagery or photos.
- Color photographs uploaded for black-and-white ads will appear in black and white.
- We will make every effort to use your layout and text as indicated. A proof will not be provided and no changes can be made after purchase.
- For the ad to appear in the yearbook, your ad must be purchased by the order deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are the ad prices determined and what is the money used for? Ad prices are determined by school. The revenue from recognition ads helps support our yearbook and keep it affordable for everyone.
- How is the ad deadline determined? The ad deadline is set by our school based on the production schedule for the yearbook.
- Can I create my student’s ad on my mobile device? Yes, you can design your recognition ad on a mobile device using the free ReplayIt app. Available for download from the Google Play and Apple App store.
- Can I send my materials to the school? No, please do not send your materials to our school. Our school has selected Jostens to assist with our ad program.
- Please call the customer service number (800-358-0800) if you have questions or need assistance in creating your ad.
More questions? Call Jostens at (800) 358-0800.
Messages from the Surfer Yearbook
- Doing a hobby that you have done your entire life or that you picked up because of the pandemic
- Participating in an event that changed drastically due to COVID - like a virtual running race
- New Year's Eve /Winter Break Photos (skiing, hiking, at the beach)
- Playing sports/practicing sports
The Surfer Yearbook Staff is currently looking for the following photos for the yearbook:
1. Photos of you THEN and NOW.
· One NOW
· One photo of you when you were in elementary school (at least 2 years in between)
· Must be JPG photos
· Submit via Replay it (see below)
· In captions add: Student Name, Student Grade, and the DATE of photo
2. Relative Photos
· Twins, Triplets
· Brothers and sisters
· Cousins, parents, aunts, and uncles who go to CMS or who work here
We are also planning a Tribute for Mr. Donnie and are looking for messages from students and staff to include on the page. Here is the Google Form: https://forms.gle/ivM7FfBaccRZFy9d7
We are accepting photos through the submission site all year.
Thank you for all of your support!
2020-2021 Surfer Yearbook Staff
SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS HERE
LOG ON TO: images.jostens.com
Enter Login ID: 415467883
- Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My Images.”
- Enter information about the photo and provide contact information in case the staff needs additional information.
- Click “Upload Chosen Images."
- It’s that easy! Submit your photos today!
Haven't joined PTO yet? Click on the link. https://www.konstella.com/cd/W2XGRV
CMS PTO President
Messages from ASB and President Shoemaker
Hello Triton Families!
It’s NO NAME CALLING WEEK! (NNCW)
All links and more information can be found on our CMS Triton’s Page:
Tuesday: Check out the CMS Triton’s Page for an Intro to NNCW
Wednesday: One of a Kind Lunch Station with our Counselors
Thursday: Share out how to be an Upstander on our CMS Triton’s Page Discussion Board
Friday: Fishing for Kindness Lunchtime Activity
Kindness Week is January 25th-28th!
Monday Jan 25th- Kick off Kindness Week on the CMS Triton’s Homepage
Tuesday Jan 26th- Team Kindness Day! Wear your favorite team’s jersey or merch!
Wednesday Jan 27th- Brighten Up with Color! Wear a bright color shirt!
Thursday Jan 28th- Wear Red for Kindness!
Link to: CMS TRITONS PAGE
Messages from CMS Counselors
We're here for you! Students can visit our PowerSchool page to find resources and /or reach out to us!
Jan 18-22, 2021 is No Name Calling Week
This goal of this week is promote dialogue and activities to stop bullying, social cruelty and name-calling in our school and community. This year’s #KindnessInAction is geared at promoting positive change in school climates students and educators across the country are encouraged to create artwork using the theme of #KindessInAction. The art contest deadline is 2/15/21 and is called Creative Expressions: more info at https://www.glsen.org/creative-expressions.
Zoom lunch activities this week include the following:
Wednesday. 1/20/21: One of a Kind zoom Meeting ID: 860 8198 0571 Passcode: CMSNNCW
Friday 1/22/21: Fishing for Kindness zoom Meeting ID: 849 9377 4600 Passcode: CMSNNCW
California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is a health and wellbeing survey administered online in partnership with the California Department of Education. CUSD participates in the survey every 2 years and this year the survey will be administered to 7th graders ONLY during T3 on January 25, 2021.. The aim of the survey is to compile data about the student population to best understand the make-up and experience of the student body, gather trend data on key areas of health and behavioral risks, including alcohol, tobacco and drugs, and gain an understanding of individual student perceptions of their health & wellbeing, school safety and the learning environment. If you do not want your child to participate, please email email@example.com
East Coast Trip 2022
Hello 7th grade Coronado Middle School families!
Planning has already begun, and I am thrilled to again be leading a group of Coronado Middle School students on an exciting WorldStrides program to Williamsburg, VA, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, PA, and New York, NY. Next year’s trip will take place during the 2021-2022 school year over Spring Break. On this once-in-a-lifetime adventure, students will explore our nation's most important historical sites and experience incomparable learning moments. This trip will enrich the learning experience of students, however, it is not a school activity nor a school-sponsored trip.
You can register now for our 2022 8th Grade East Coast Trip. Here's what you need to know:
Our Trip ID is 192680. Use this to sign up at worldstrides.com/signup. Pay only a $49 deposit to sign up and save $150 when registering now. The remaining balance is spread out into smaller amounts and paid monthly prior to the trip.
Please note: the dates posted for the trip are just a guide at this time. The trip will take place during our Spring Break in 2022, and those dates will be confirmed when the school calendar is released for the 2021-22 school year.
Sign Up By 2/01/2021 – register now and SAVE!
Deposit Amount: $49 (non-refundable) – This is a special, reduced deposit amount for signing up prior to
How to Sign Up:
● Online at www.worldstrides.com/signup
(use Trip ID#192680 to sign up)
● By phone – call WorldStrides’ Customer Service
Team at 1-800-468-5899
●By mail - information in PDF linked above.
Please don’t hesitate to send me an email if you have any questions.
Ananda Dejarnette, M.Ed.
8th Grade History Teacher
History Department Lead Teacher
Program Leader – 8th grade East Coast Trip
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOW AVAILABLE: CMS LIBRARY BOOK CHECKOUTS!!!
It’s easy to browse, check out, and hold books through Classlink! Once you sign in, click the Follett icon and you will have access to the CMS library catalog. Once a book is put on hold, Mrs. Pettit will bag your books for pick up. Book pickups and returns will be on Wednesdays, ONLY for safety purposes, and can be obtained between 8 am-3 pm at the F. Street entrance of the middle school.
PLEASE NOTE: Books that are catalogued as YA (Young Adult), will require a guardian signed permission slip. If you are a returning CMS student and already had one of these filled out last year, you are good to go! However, all incoming 6th graders and new students will need this form completed at the time of pick up. Permission forms can be printed or emailed to Mrs. Pettit.
If you have any questions concerning the YA form, or how to access books through our Follett system, please email Mrs. Pettit at: email@example.com
CMS Library Technician
Coffee Talk: Parenting The Positive Discipline Way
Monday, January 25th 6:30-8:00pm
Utilizing evidence-based strategies and research, Positive Discipline, sets the groundwork for communication and discipline with the understanding of child neuroscience.
· Parenting Style that Helps Your Child into Adulthood
· Understand Difference Between Discipline & Punishment
· See Behavior as Communication
· Tools and Strategies for Common Misbehaviors
CMS Military Family Life Counselor Supports
CMS Military Student Lunch Bunch: Please Join us every Monday from 11:30 am-12:00 pm for some fun games and to meet military students like yourself!
I look forward to seeing all of you!
Warmly, Kristina Clancy MFLC
Kristina Clancy for Lisa F. Poli
MFLC- Military & Family Life Counselor for Coronado Middle School
Cell Phone: (619) 592-0821
MFLC's available to support our military students and families who may benefit from counseling services. We are here to support you during these challenging times!
Military Families Resources
PARENT EDUCATION VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS
Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) Parent Programs is offering a new series of Parent Education Virtual Workshops for military-connected parents and professionals who work in support of military-connected children.
- Math Activities at Home for Elementary Students: January 19, 9 am
- Fostering a Love of Learning: January 20, 9 am
- Strategies for Reluctant Readers and Children with Reading Difficulties: January 26, 9 am
- Reading in Middle School: January 27, 9 am
Not available to attend the live webinar? Register at the links above to receive the recording.
SUICIDE PREVENTION 101 FOR PARENTS: RECOGNIZING SIGNS AND WHAT TO DO
Wednesday, January 27, 5-6 pm
The webinar is provided in partnership with the California Department of Education, the Directing Change Program, and Teen Life.
OUTSIDE THE LENS PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
Wednesdays, February 3, February 10, February 17, February 24, & March 10, 4-5:30 pm
Outside the Lens has partnered with the FOCUS Project, to run a photography workshop for military-connected families. Workshops are open to veterans and active military families and couples.
- Participants will need access to a phone camera, tablet camera or digital camera.
- There will be a second virtual photography workshop series in April.
- There will be a virtual gallery of the work available online after the exhibition.
TUTOR.COM STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO GUIDE
As of April 2020, all DoD service members, civilian personnel, and all dependent family members (kindergarten-college/adult) are eligible to use Tutor.com/military at no cost. If you've heard of Tutor.com/military but aren't sure how to create an account, or exactly how it works, here is a video to get you started: https://youtu.be/jBhJwYzM0hU. Have additional questions? Email Tutor.com at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Liaison Officer
Naval Base Coronado
Coronado Schools Foundation
SUPPORT THE BUSINESSES THAT SUPPORT OUR SCHOOLS!
GET THE CORONADO LOCALS APP?
The Coronado Locals App offers exclusive savings and special deals from over 60 businesses in Coronado and beyond to CSF donors. Get instant access to all the Coronado Locals Card deals on your phone with your $100+ donation!
For a list of ALL participating businesses CLICK HERE (https://www.csfkids.org/our-donors/locals-card-deals.html).
Triton Shout Outs
Mark your calendar for upcoming dates:
January: Key of Excellence: Failure Leads to Success
Jan 25 Jan 29 Kindness Week
Jan 25 CA Healthy Kids Survey -7th grade T3
Jan 28 End of Semester 1
Jan 29 Non student day
Feb 1 Semester 2
Tentative Phase 4
Feb 3 PTO Meeting 6:30 pm See website for Zoom
Feb 5 Report cards mailed home
Feb 8 Lincoln Day No School
CoSA Apps Due
Feb 15 Presidents' Day No School
Feb 16-19 Spirit Week
Feb 18 CUSD Board Meeting 4:00 pm (Zoom)