CB West High School
West Times Newsletter 4-12-2021
NEWS FROM THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Social and Emotional Wellness Resources
As we continue to face challenges and navigate difficult times, we are including Social and Emotional Wellness Resources that may be helpful to our students, staff and families. Students and adults may display a range of thoughts and emotions when presented with various circumstances. We recommend to continue engaging in conversations with your child. As always, please reach out to your child’s counselor if you have questions or concerns.
Report Cards for MP3
Student grades and report card comments for MP3 will be available on Student/Parent portal on Tuesday, April 20, 2021.
Financial Aid Webinar
What can you do now to make college more affordable for your child? Join this Webinar, presented by PHEAA, to understand higher education costs, the types of financial aid available, and how to apply for financial aid. There are two free upcoming events – click the links to go to the Registration page for the date that works best for you: Wednesday, April 21, 6:30 – 7:30, or Tuesday, April 27, 6:30 – 7:30.
Virtual College Fairs
Please visit our NEW Virtual College Fair webpage! Students who are starting to explore college options should take advantage of the many national, state, and local virtual college fairs that are occurring this spring. Click on one of the four icons to access events from National and PA fairs, or click on any of the regional or topic-specific fairs that may be listed on the page. Many fairs require pre-registration, so be sure to check dates for the upcoming events listed. Most fairs are free, and often include campus tours, program information, and interviews with current students, admissions reps and financial aid reps from the college.
- Scholarship Info -- Please check Naviance regularly for information about national, regional, and local scholarships. (Once logged into Naviance, click Colleges > Scholarships and Money > Scholarship List.) The list can be sorted by deadline, or you can search for specific criteria which matches your intended major. This list will be updated frequently, with new scholarships added regularly. Please also go to the Scholarship page of the Guidance Website for information about how to use scholarship search services to find more opportunities.
The Central Bucks West Tutoring Academy will continue to provide Peer Tutoring on a virtual platform. There are several tutors available for academic help in many core classes. If your student would benefit from a peer tutor, please have them contact their school counselor or Mrs. Bagnick at email@example.com. We will assign tutors based on availability at the time.
We are excited to inform you that Graduation will be on June 10th at 4:15 at War Memorial Field. The rain dates are June 11th at 4:15 or June 14th at 4:15. Additional detailed information will be forthcoming in future correspondence.
April - Spark Article #6
If your teen missed working at a part-time job at the local restaurant because of the responsibilities opportunity to learn about how to run a business, this might be worth exploring in a more serious way. If your teen didn’t miss taking piano lessons because it was just something to add to a college resume, maybe it is time to start looking at other activities where there is true interest.
Looking at the whole concept of Sparks, this might be the right time to reevaluate where time is spent and what interest holds true passion. “One joy scatters a hundred griefs.” – Chinese Proverb
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Nurse
Each year, Pennsylvania requires schools to complete health screenings for students. We have begun this process and hope to complete as many students as possible during the remainder of the year.
If your student is virtual, you may contact the Nurse.
Once completed, height and weight measurements can be found on the Parent Portal. Parents/Guardians will be contacted following the screenings if there is a concern.
If you prefer that your child be exempted from the health screenings, please contact Mrs. Klein email@example.com
Bucks County Free Library - Registration Drive
The CB West Library is partnering with the Bucks County Free Library for a public library card registration drive. From April 12-26, any CB West student and their family members can use the link below to sign up for a library card from the Bucks County Free Library at no cost. At the end of the drive, library cards will be distributed to CB West students in school during 2nd block snack period. If you would like to register for a Bucks County Free Library card, click the link below and enter the password $choolyear2020.
Bucks County Medication Disposal Program
We follow the same attendance policies outlined in the Pennsylvania Act 138 attendance policies and as described in our Student handbook. Importantly, attendance is compulsory and students are expected to be on time daily. Teachers will be taking attendance each block through Infinite Campus, our student management system. In the event that a student is late or absent, please email or call the CB West Attendance Office. If we do not receive notification and/or if an absence or lateness is not excused, attendance meetings and letters may be warranted.
5-Day In-Person Students
- If a student should be physically present in the building but is staying home, we require a communication from the parents or guardians following the guidelines for an excused absence (see guidelines below). Please email our attendance office at firstname.lastname@example.org. At the school level, this is the same as if students were in the building in a traditional sense because anytime a student is supposed to be here physically but is not, a note is required to excuse the absence. There are many reasons for this, which primarily fall under liability and safety, but it is also important for our state attendance records and for teacher lesson planning.
- If a student is not in school (but attending online) the initial absence code will be “absent” until we have a communication from the parent/guardian with a valid excuse per the School Board Policy guidelines below. The attendance code will be changed to “VP = Virtual Present” once we have the communication from the parent/guardian. When possible, we ask for the communication in advance of the absence so we can make sure the teachers are aware, and it also ensures us that parents/guardians have granted permission for their child to remain at home.
- If a student does not attend class, the student will be marked absent until we receive the communication from parents with a valid excuse.
- Note – If a student logs in initially, but leaves the call or does not engage, the teachers will mark the student absent with a comment so parents can see this information and reach out to us as needed.
All Students - Excused Absences
Per CBSD School Board Policy 204, the following situations would be deemed as an excused absence from school:
- Illness or Quarantine
- Family emergency
- Death in the family
- Observance of religious holiday or events
- College/Postsecondary visits or Nonschool-sponsored educational trips (Requires prior approval via Request for Approved Absence for Family Travel Form)
- Other - please review CBSD Board Policy 204 for other potential circumstances
CB West Staff Appreciation Luncheon
In observance of Teacher Appreciation Week, Parent Council and the parents/guardians of Central Bucks West students are providing a Teacher and Staff Appreciation Lunch on Tuesday, May 4.
To sign up to donate snacks, drinks or money for this luncheon, please click on the following link:
Spring Keystone Exam Information
Please see the Spring Keystone Administration Schedule below and please take note that students who are not testing will receive asynchronous instruction online at home on May 20, 24, and 26. For more information about Keystone Exams, please CLICK HERE FOR THE CB WEST KEYSTONE EXAM PAGE
Grab and Go Meals
*Please Note: Food will only be available for the general student body during the breakfast times and dismissal. You may bring in your own food for snack break or save the grab and go breakfast for snack break. There will be no food available at snack break for students other than MBIT students coming back to West and/or leaving West at that time.
- Grab and Go breakfast will be available daily between 7:00 AM-7:25 AM at three locations: Lobby near the Court Street Café, in the cafeteria, and at the end of the “B” hallway.
- If you have Late Arrival, Grab and Go breakfast will be available outside of the lobby near the Court Street Café.
- Grab and Go lunch will be available daily between 1:15 PM – 1:30 PM at four locations: Lobby near the Court Street Café, in the athletics hallway, in the D hallway near the Security office, and at the end of the “B” hallway.
- If you have AM MBIT, food will also be available in room D135 when you arrive to West.
- If you have PM MBIT, Grab and Go bags are in room D135 before leaving school.
- If you have Early Release, Grab and Go bags are in the lobby near the Court Street Café.
- Parents may also pick-up meals for students on Mondays and Thursdays from 10:30am - 12:00pm at the Faculty Parking Lot 'Bubble' entrance at CB West.
Help support MiniTHON with 3 fabulous fundraisers. Click on the flyer images for details.
Class of 2023 - Exclusion from Post Secondary Schools and Military Recruiters
Class of 2023 T-shirts are on sale again until Friday, April 16th. If you didn’t buy a shirt this fall, don’t miss the opportunity to represent your sophomore class!
Important Information for Seniors
As we are getting closer to the end of the year, please direct your attention to the Class of 2021 Page on the CB West website for important information for seniors. This is where we will house information about graduation, prom, end of year events, etc.
Seniors! Cap & Gown Information - Orders due NOW!
Balfour has been selected, once again, as the official supplier for caps and gowns for 2021. Please visit the link below to order these items by April 15th to avoid the late fee. Orders will be sent to CB West, and a date and time for pickup will be determined later this spring.
https://www.buildagrad.com/cbw - Click on the link to order!
Attention Seniors: Important Information for Prom and Graduation
Monday, April 12th is the first day of the 4th Marking Period. For Seniors, this means that if you are charged with a violation of the Drug and Alcohol Policy during the 4th Marking Period, you may not be permitted to attend prom and may not participate in graduation/any other commencement activities. We are required to remind you of this policy statement.
When: CB West will be hosting the Senior Prom on Saturday, May 8, 2021 from 6:00 PM-10:00 PM at The Fuge, with a rain date of Wednesday, May 12, 2021 from 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM. If we exercise the rain date, Seniors attending the prom will have a half-day and will be permitted to leave CB West at 10:30am, after 2nd block. The Fuge is located at 780 Falcon Circle, Warminster, PA. 18974. Please note that while our initial plans are provided below, some aspects may change based on the number of attendees.
Ticket Sales: Ticket sales will take place on My Payments Plus CLICK HERE and will be available for purchase from Friday, April 9, 2021 to Wednesday, April 28, 2021. The price will be $85 dollars per ticket. Upon purchasing tickets, students will be asked to sign up for their dinner table in groups of 8 by designating 1 table leader. Each student will then sign up under the last name of their designated table leader. This will enable staff to plan properly. Any students that do not sign up for a table, will be placed at a table accordingly.
Based on our initial survey results and the number of students who indicated they will be attending the prom, we will now be allowing students to bring CB West underclassmen and non-CB West students as guests.
For More Information: For more information about the Senior Prom, please CLICK HERE to visit the CB West Senior Prom page.
Starting on March 1, the 2021 Senior Class Council will be highlighting seniors and their post-high school plans on the Instagram account @cbw21decisions. To be included in these Senior Spotlights, please Click Here to submit your information to class council.
Boomerang for April
APRIL #25 READING FOR PLEASURE: Young person reads for pleasure most days, either alone, with family members, or with friends.
Click here for details about how to nominate a student.
*CB Cares Educational Foundation has supported students, educators, and parents in the CB School District for more than 20 years. One of the CB Cares initiative is the Boomerang Youth Award. This district-wide monthly program recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. More information about The Boomerang Award can be found here à CB CARES BOOMERANG AWARD
Book/Item Distribution and Return
Details of Regular Procedures: We will continue to have a pick-up/drop off for 100% virtual students only on the dates listed below from 2:00pm-4:00pm in the CB West Cafeteria. Students who are participating 100% online will retrieve needed materials as communicated by teachers. Students can also return books or other curricular items by placing it in a labeled bin. Please park in the Junior lot off of MacFarlane Lane and enter the cafeteria. Please wear a mask and keep 6 feet social distancing at all times. Only 1 person per family may come into the building. Please bring a bag or bookbag to carry your items.
Process: Please find your placard, take the items under the placard, and leave the placard on the table at your spot.
Important: Please leave all name labels on any and all items given to you. This will be essential when you return items.
Larger Items: Teachers will communicate with you if you have larger items to pick up. Large items will be labeled with your name and will be in the back of the cafeteria in the large-item section.
Forthcoming Dates: The following are the Thursday dates for pick up and drop off of items mapped out through the remainder of the year (just in case and subject to change).
- 4/15/21 - new date added!
CB West Parent Council
We look forward to continuing our partnership with parents through the 2020-2021 Central Bucks West Parent Council. Membership to the council is open to all interested CB West parents.
Meetings will be held virtually for the time being. Meetings begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 10:30 AM.
Please note: If you are accessing the Teams link on an iPhone or Mac, you will need to download the Teams app first. The web version will not work for Safari. Learn more about Teams
April 21, 2021
CBSD Farmers Market at Barclay
The State of Pa. requires that all Juniors have a physical on file in the Health Office. As your student goes to the doctor for driver’s permits, working papers, etc., remember to turn in a copy of the physical. Physicals dated the first day of Sophomore year or later will be excepted as a Junior physical. If your child plays sports, this physical will count as well.