Elkins Update- January 2017
Monthly Newsletter to Keep Parents Informed
There's No Place Like Elkins!
Winter weather reminder...
The winter season is upon us. Our district staff understands that our decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a significant effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served – both academically and socially – by being in school. But as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
The superintendent will make the decision to open or close the schools in bad weather based on analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
· Information on road conditions from transportation staff and from the police
· Amount of snow and ice accumulated
· Whether precipitation is continuing
· Building conditions (such as whether we have electricity and heat)
· Parking lot conditions
· Temperature and wind chill
· Weather predictions
· Sidewalk conditions
· What other school districts are doing
Families will be notified of decisions through a variety of media resources. Check our district Web site www.emsisd.com, as well as the district Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up to date information.
We have a PTA meeting this Thursday, January 19th with our 1st grade performance! The meeting will begin at 6:00 pm, with the 1st grade performance starting immediately following the short meeting. We hope you can come and watch our first graders as they have the spotlight for the evening!
* This past Friday marked the end of the first semester. Can you believe it?!?! We are already 1/2 way through the year. Report cards will be coming home this Friday, and included in the report card will be the current accountability rating for Elkins and the school report card. Also, if your student maintained good behavior throughout the semester he/she may be invited to our PRIDE Posse party that will take place during specials on Friday, February 9th. During this party, the students will enjoy bounce houses and popcorn as a reward for showing good citizenship for the entire semester. Way to go!!
* We are beginning a new round of enrichment clubs this month. Your students will be signing up this week and able to choose a new club to take part in! The students love this opportunity, and it's a great way to pull in a variety of activities not necessarily taught in the standard curriculum on a daily basis. Make sure to ask your student what club he/she signed up for this week!
* On Friday, February 17th, we will have Donuts with Dads beginning when doors open at 7:10 that morning. We invite all dads to come and enjoy donuts and juice with your student(s) that morning! We hope to see you there. More information will be coming home soon.
The MAKERSPACE @ EES
Thanks to our generous PTA, we are extremely close to opening up our new Makerspace @ EES! What is Makerspace?? It's an area typically created in a library or media center designed to inspire creativity and innovation among students. At Elkins, we want our Makerspace to be a creative space that provides every student with consistent exposure to unique tools and materials not always available at home. By incorporating the makerspace into our weekly specials rotation, every student will have the opportunity to visit the makerspace at least every other week for 50 minutes. The Makerspace @ EES will contain a Lego wall, magnetic wall, 6 Osmos to use with iPads, white board, chalkboard wall, building circuits, tinker area, creation station, and much more! We are extremely excited about this new learning environment and appreciate the generosity and help of our PTA so much for helping to make this possible! Once we are up and running, we invite you to come look at our space and let the students show you all the things they are learning. We are still in need for a flat screen TV for the Makerspace to allow us to have a running slide show to showcase students' inventions/creations. If you know of a TV that is available, or are looking to upgrade and have one you would like to donate, we would be more than happy to take it off your hands!
There are many exciting things happening in counseling at Elkins! Since September, students have been busy with guidance lessons on teamwork, empathy, friendship, goal-setting, using I-Messages, bullying and respect. We also have guidance groups going on with all grade levels. Current guidance group topics include anxiety, mindfulness, impulsivity, and self-concept. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thanks for your support of our counseling program!
Tammie Shelton , M.Ed., LPC-S
Parent Education Night
- Make sure to sign up for Skyward Family Access! You can do this by visiting the district website at www.emsisd.com. Click on "Parents," then click on "Family and Student Access." This will allow you to view your students' grades, sign up for bus transportation, adjust personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc. This is the best way to stay connected to everything going on with your students!
- Elkins Remind text message feature is available this year! Follow this link in order to sign up to receive text messages from Elkins for important reminders such as picture day, special events, early releases, etc.! This is a great way to stay connected!
Dates to Remember
Thursday, January 19th:
Group Pictures Today
PTA Meeting & 1st Grade Performance @ 6:00 pm
Friday, January 27th:
Honor Choir travels to Boswell for performance
Friday, February 3rd:
PRIDE Posse Parties during specials (bounce houses & popcorn)
Friday, Feburary 17th:
Donuts with Dads @ 7:10 am