Mrs. Nagy's 1st Grade Class
First grade ROCKS... Come be a star!⭐️
One week down....two more to go! A few reminders...
- Book order - Thank you to those people to place a book order this month. Your order should arrive within the next week, please be on the lookout in your child's backpack. I will wrap the books up to disguise them in case they are presents.
- Book It - The Pizza Hut Book It coloring page for December should have come home in your child's folder. The paper had 2 giant stockings on it. The children were to fill in the stockings with a drawing from their AR book. Many of the children completed one of the stockings at school. Together we read the book Mooseltoe and have been doing activities all week regarding the book. Many of the children completed the AR test on Mooseltoe at school. That leaves them only one AR book to complete to receive their pizza coupon. See the photo below of our crazy moose-stash picture.
- WARM HEARTS DRIVE- St. Vincent school is collecting new and gently used blankets, new gloves, new hats, and new scarves to help those in need. These items will be distributed to local people in need to keep warm this winter. Any questions, please let me know!
- Snack chart - I did NOT send a snack chart home, SORRY! This next week will include Alex (Monday), Keith (Tuesday), Jazzy (Wednesday), Soleil (Thursday), and Mia (Friday). We have 18 children and are a nut free school. Thank you!
- Secret Santa- On Wednesday, the first grade students will be able to visit our Secret Santa workshop. Children are to bring in money if they are interested in shopping for family members. This event is sponsored by the Parents' Association. We asked the shopping list be limited to those family members that are in the immediate family. We will shop at the end of our day. Please send in money in a marked envelope with a shopping list for who the children are to shop for. This is a very fun event for the children. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Advent wreath - Please encourage your children to utilize the advent wreath that they made in class. This is a very important time for us to ready our hearts for the coming of Jesus' birthday. This week will mark the second candle, the second week of Advent. If you have missed placed your yellow foam, please let me know and I will send another piece home with your child.
- St. Edwards nursing home - The kindergarten and first grade classes will be rehearsing some Christmas songs and performing them at St. Edwards nursing home on Wednesday, December 17. Permission slips will be coming home in your child's folder this week. We will be traveling by bus.
- Christmas elf - The first grade class at St. Vincent is lucky enough to have an elf visiting us from the north pole. He arrived in our classroom after Thanksgiving break. The children have named him Luke. He has been up to some very mischievous things. The children are writing about each thing he does in a special elf journal. We're hoping we can show him what a fabulous first grade class we are. Have a look at the pictures down below.
I think that about covers it. Any questions let me know. Thanks.
First Grade modeling their "moose"-taches!
Class made wampum pouches of the Wampanoag.
Estimation station winners.
Ella, Emma and Robert won the closest estimation.
Our Native American vests
Nick, Jacob, Ryan, Tristan, Cory and Jack looking fine!
Golden spatula winners!
Emma Cross, Ella Hammer, Payton Johnson, Soleil Ortiz
Boys hard at work!
Cory and Mia complete puzzle together:)
B Music and Technology
C Gym and Art
The children have done a fabulous job learning about time. Please continue to reinforce this skill with your children. In first grade children need to be fluent in telling time to the hour and the half hour. Judging by how well the children have learned this concept, I may introduce time to the quarter hour as well. We may even try to work on elapsed time, too!
Place value will be next on the list. This is teaching them that numbers can be represented by groups of tens and ones. This gives children a concrete way of visualizing a number. Once children understand this concept, it makes adding and subtracting by tens much simpler. We will continue working on this concept well into the new year.
We will also continue to work on graphing, addition and subtraction and number families.