Coleman MS Newsletter, 12/15/2023
DR. HERNANDEZ' WEEKLY VIDEO MESSAGE:
- English Video Message
- Please click HERE to access Dr. Hernandez' medical leave letter.
- Click HERE to get to know our interim principal covering during Dr. Hernandez' medical leave, Bob Burgess.
2023-2024 COLEMAN MS THEME:
STAY CONNECTED AT COLEMAN:
TEACHING, LEARNING, & BUILDING COMMUNITY:
PROJECT- BASED LEARNING (PBL):
Quarter 2 PBL Driving Questions:
12/15 Quarter 2 PBL Showcase Information:
The students, faculty and staff of Coleman Middle School would like to invite you to our Q2 community showcase! We believe input from our stakeholders is an integral part of "The Coleman Experience" for our students. We will be hosting all 3 grade levels at the same time on Friday, December 15 from 10:00-11:00. We hope you will be able to attend and provide feedback to our students regarding their projects. Feel free to invite any of your colleagues, family, and friends to attend. Please use the link at the bottom of this email to sign-up for the showcase prior to attending.
Use this LINK to Sign up
Use this LINK to review parking and arrival information
Chandra Brandel, M.Ed.
STEAM & Gifted Coordinator
Welcoming our New Clinic Worker!
As you may remember, Ms. Stamm will be retiring at the end of this semester. Please join us in welcoming our new clinic worker, who will start on January 8th, Ms. Neissa Gutierrez. Ms. Gutierrez is coming to us with several years of experience as a Gwinnett County Public School clinic worker.
Second Semester Schedules
Academic schedules do not change during second semester. Semester-long Connection classes do change according to the student selection and course availability. Second semester Connection classes are not changed, however if you think you have unique reasons, please contact your student's grade level administrator.
THANK YOU for supporting our Coleman Spirit Night at Chick Fil A this past Monday, December 11th!
Dr. Brooks Coleman, who Coleman Middle School was named after, attended our Spirit Night at Chick Fil A! Our PTA Secretary, Cathy Purdy, and our co-President, Jen Ballantine, took a fun picture with him and enjoyed his company!
THANK YOU for Volunteering at the Second Quarter Good Behavior Celebration Walk and Talk, Friday, December 15th:
Thank you for volunteering and supporting our school! Please refer to your selected time frame at this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090E44ACAB2BA13-good1.
ONLY 3 WILDCAT BLANKETS LEFT!!! Get your Wildcat Spiritwear on our Online Store!
Check out our Wildcat Blankets, Wildcat Socks, Wildcat Croc Shoe Charms, Tees, and Hoodies on our Online Store by clicking on the following link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cmswildcats.memberhub.com/store?limit=21&live=true__;!!PrnngaAx4byl!zRcZLaYix8tdHdUWvBjhAx7r1VLIFkyncWV_J2j9RpM3MSMnRm-ETfIHRTFOyQB2jyWTXN9w9qwE7-q6QMmNc3SfXetrM8nzeA$
If you have questions or concerns about anything, please email us at email@example.com.
Have a fun, restful Break! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
The Coleman PTA
A Letter to our Parents from the City of Duluth
CRISIS ALERT BADGES:
DID YOU KNOW THAT COLEMAN MS IS LAUNCHING PBIS THIS YEAR?
As part of PBIS, here at Coleman we have:
- First 20 day lessons to teach students expected behaviors.
- A table displaying expected behaviors in each classroom and the school. You can use this LINK to see our Behavior Matrix.
- Daily morning meetings and weekly advisement lessons to build classroom community.
- Behavior rewards such as weekly "Brain Breaks" and "Golden Tickets", monthly access to our PBIS store where students can redeem "paw points" they earn daily from teachers and staff, and quarterly Walk & Talks.
- A 9-step discipline process and behavior log for each student. Click this LINK to review the 9-steps.
More information will be shared during curriculum night.
STUDENT PHONES AND OTHER SMART DEVICES:
You can use this LINK to review the expectations with your student. They have also been included in the student agenda. These expectations include also an outline of our 3-step discipline procedure when students do not meet expectations.
DRESS FOR SUCCESS:
AFTER SCHOOL EVENTS:
SCHOOL HOURS AND ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL:
- School hours are from 9:15 AM to 4:00 PM. Students are marked tardy after 9:15 AM.
- Students must be dropped off in the back at car rider lane. Doors open at 8:50 AM. Students who are late must be dropped off at the front entrance.
- Do not use the bus lanes before 9:30 AM or 4:30 PM. You can park on Main St. for drop off or pick up at these times.
- Students go directly to breakfast from car rider and bus lane. To protect learning time, students have grab-and-go lunch available after 9:10 AM.
- It is very important that you review the Coleman MS procedures for arrival and dismissal on this LINK and watch the video included for car riders.
CAR RIDERS & LATE BREAKFAST:
IS YOUR STUDENT A CAR RIDER?- PLEASE READ THESE REMINDERS. OUR CHILDREN SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY!
- Car rider procedures are the same in the morning and afternoon. Morning procedures start at 8:50 AM.
- Make sure you visit our website, including a picture and a video of our car rider pick up procedure. Please be respectful of our procedures. They have been put in place to protect our students' safety.
- Write your student's name on a paper and place it on your dashboard the first few weeks.
- Student will dismiss from the gym on days of inclement weather. Please have their names displayed on your dashboard.
- Be patient until our new 6th graders learn. Build some time on your schedule because the first few days will be slower, but it gets better.
- Be courteous and respectful to our teachers and staff on duty.
- Remind your children to look for their car, and remember, everybody is trying to pick up their child and get to your next family activity!
SCHOOL NUTRITION SERVICES:
Due to additional reimbursement funding from the Georgia Department of Education, here are some changes coming this school year:
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive breakfast at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will be charged $1.50.
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive lunch at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will pay $2.25/$2.50 for lunch.
Use this LINK to review information regarding GCPS nutrition program and to have access to the Free and Reduced Lunch application.
STUDENT & PARENT HANDBOOK AND IMPORTANT FORMS:
- Coleman's and GCPS' Parent and Student handbooks will included on My Payment Plus for your review and signature.
- If you need assistance with you MPP account, email our parent liaison, Lorena Rojas at firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY AND BUSINESS PARTNERS:
Thank you for your support!
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN HAVING YOUR OWN RESERVED PARKING SPOT FOR DISMISSAL WHILE HELPING THE SCHOOL?
- First come first serve, 6 spaces
- Located on the side parking lot (Across Parson's Alley)
- Cost $600
- Money goes back to our STEAM program!
- Contact our bookkeeper Monique.Young@gcpsk12.org
* About Your Principal:
Hello Coleman Middle School Parent or Guardian,
If you would like to learn more about how my personal and professional background connect to Coleman Middle School, and you did not have the opportunity to meet me during my transition to Coleman on December 2021, please feel free to click the link below to watch my introduction message.
Coleman Middle School, GCPS
Gwinnett's flagship STEAM school & GA Department of Education STEAM-certified school
Principal: Dr. Gypsy Hernandez
Summer School Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Regular School Hours: 9:15 AM - 4:00 PM