Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 09/07: No School: Labor Day
- 09/08: La Cucina Matematicas 5:30-6:30 at STAR Academy (click HERE to reserve a free spot)
- 09/09: Parents Get Googley Night 6pm-8pm Del Paso Cafeteria (RSVP HERE)
- 09/10: Westlake Charter Board Meeting on Pebblewood Campus (6:30-8:00p.m.)
- 09/11: Crazy Hair Day
- 09/17: WAVE Bingo Night on Del Paso Campus (6:30-8:00p.m.)
- 09/24: WCMS Chili Cook Off on Pebblewood Campus
- 10/01: Coffee Talk 7:00-8:20am
- 10/01: Picture Day!
- 10/01: WAVE Meeting 6:30-7:30pm Del Paso BASE Room
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
This week we really focused on acting on Level C, Cooperation. We worked together as a team and focused on learning strategies that would help us be successful when working with others, such as compromising. We worked in pairs to turn our ten ones into a standing 1 ten stick.
We also discussed about growth mindset and what that looks like. We talked about how our brain actually gets heavier when we learn. We learn something when we don't give up and keep trying when something is hard. We talked about what we could say instead of giving up, like "I just don't have it, yet!" or "This is hard, but it will get easier." or even, "I'm going to keep trying and I'll get it." We also watched the clip of Dori from Finding Nemo when she inspires Nemo's Dad to keep going, "Just keep swimming!" What a leader that Dori is!
We also learned about Level B (see further down for more information) and we discussed the difference between what a boss is and a leader is. This was a pretty cool discussion! See the pictures for more information how we did this as an activity during morning meeting. We will discuss strategies to "coach" each other during reading next week.
In math, we are working on mastering the logistics of Math Workshop and learned some great addition strategies. In reading, we learned some strategies to try when we get stuck, worked on how to record our reading habits by using a reading log, and we even raised our reading stamina as an entire class to 16 minutes! It looks like we are ready to begin more components of Reading Workshop! In writing we learned some strategies for brainstorming and different ways that we can use a web to dig deeper into our writing. I am seeing a positive outlook toward writing from many students that came in hating writing. I think it is inspirational for students to know that we all have a story within us that is amazing! Keep encouraging your child through their Friday journal. They had such wonderful things to say about sharing their journal with you. Thank you for your support and partnership in their education!
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Predictions, Interesting Words, Vocabulary, Connections
Writing: Developing Seed Ideas, Writer's Write from the Heart
Language: Capitals, Proper Nouns, and Ending Punctuation
Science: Scientists and Matter
Questions to ask your child...
- What is Level B?
- How does someone acting on Level B affect those around them?
- What is a strategy to add faster?
- What is the same thing as ten ones? (one ten)
- What does it mean to brainstorm? When is a time you might brainstorm?
- What does the word, "TEAM" mean to you?
- Can you explain what a "check-in" or "check-out" is?
- What was your favorite thing about this week?
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010