Follow Your Own Star
Weekly Newsletter May 16-20
Peek @ the Week
Monday, May 16
- Math textbook check for lost or damaged books (3rd & 4th grades)
Tuesday, May 17
- 4th 9 weeks grades due
- GLP, Room 302
Grade levels will conduct a first trial run of Teaching & Learning Teams. As a grade level, please be sure to look at the data before Tuesday and discuss some noticings. Again, this is to be a very positive, growth opportunity for all us!
- Diversity Award Dinner in Greenville 5:00 pm- Dr. Patterson, G. Skinner, H. Robertson
Wednesday, May 18
- Awards Day forms due to Mrs. Skinner (by 12:00 pm)
- Mrs. Skinner will collect math textbooks from 3rd & 4th grades- Please place math textbooks outside your door by 8:00 am
- Literacy Coaches meeting
Thursday, May 19
- 100 BC materials due to media center
- Science Advisory @DO 3:30 pm
- Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
Friday, May 20
- Field Day
- School Spirit Day
- Order lunch out
PBL Survey from Riley Institute
You should have received the survey from the Riley Institute. Please take the time to provide them with the requested information/feedback. Your feedback will be critical and crucial to furthering PBL efforts across our state. We cannot tell you how proud we are of our school and as advocates and supporters of this important work, it is important that we share and inform others practitioners of our successes and challenges. The Riley Institute has provided us with some very affirming and supportive feedback through this process.
Need to Know News Shared with OES Parents
Oakland Achieves Hall of Fame Status for Reading – Earlier this week, we received some very exciting news. The congratulatory note stated: “On behalf of everyone at the Greenville Drive and Michelin North America, congratulations on the outstanding job Oakland Elementary has done over the past few years in executing the Greenville Drive Reading All-Stars Program at your school. Because of your good efforts, Oakland Elementary will be recognized for achieving Hall of Fame Status in 2016! To recognize your school’s success, we would like to present your school with the Hall of Fame Award during the 4th inning of the Reading All-Stars Celebration Game on Sunday, May 22nd!” Congratulations to all of our wonderful school community for acknowledging the importance of reading and to Mrs. Ashley Roberts, our literacy coach, for her efforts in leading our school’s literacy efforts.
Celebrate Your Reading All-Star – On Sunday, May 22nd, the Greenville Drive will celebrate the Reading All-Stars from our school. Qualifying students earned a FREE ticket voucher to the May 22nd game, where they will receive a FREE Reading All-Star T-shirt, select a complimentary book form the PEP Book Fair and participate in a pregame Parade of Champions around Fluor Field. To redeem your child’s voucher and purchase tickets for family and friends visit the Drive Box Office or call 864-240-4528.
- Last Call for Yearbooks – If you’ve not yet purchased an annual, here is your last chance to do so! Annuals are $14.00 each. All annuals will be sold on a first come, first serve basis and mom should be sent to your child’s teacher. Annuals will be given to students on Annual Day (Monday, May 23rd).
- Car Tags – Please remember to continue to display your car tag during afternoon dismissal. This system is used to ensure our students’ safety and that they are released with an authorized person. If your car tag is not displayed, you may be asked to park and sign your child out from the main office.
- Outstanding Fees & Library Books – In according with our school’s handbook, all outstanding fees must be paid before students can participate in end-of-year activities. All library books must be returned or compensated as well. If a fee is not paid, a stop card will be placed on your child’s report card. Fees can be accrued through the cafeteria, ABA, library books, 100 BC books, etc.
- Lost & Found – If your child is missing an article of clothing, please check out lost and found. Lost and found is located in the gym/cafeteria lobby. At the end of the year, all remaining items will be donated to a local charity.
OES All Star Shout Outs
9th Annual Mini Relay for Life @OES...Thank you to Mrs. Ford & the OES RFL Committee!
Under the leadership of teacher, Jeannette Ford, Oakland held our annual mini-relay event to commemorate our participation in this year's Relay for Life and this year's board game theme, "In (Trivial) Pursuit of a Cure!" The day's agenda was full: a commemorative breakfast, a school-wide celebration and opening ceremony, survivor walk, class parade, and balloon release. We also thank Mrs. Donna Easler, this year's guest speaker, and all the OES faculty and staff who served on this year's planning committee. What a privilege it was to honor and remember those that have been affected by cancer.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR TEACHERS LEAVING OES...
As you prepare to pack your belongings, please adhere to the guidelines below as far as what belongs to you personally and what belongs to OES:
Items that belong to teachers that may be taken when leaving OES:
- Donors choose items
- Materials purchased with the state reimbursement funds ( $250 or $275 Check received at the beginning of the year)
- School materials purchase with PERSONAL funds
If a fellow teacher gives you something, check to make sure it was from personal funds before you take it.
DO NOT TAKE:
- iPads and charging cables – iPad should be cleared of personal apps, files and pics
- 100 book challenge materials
- Anything purchased with funds collected by students, INCLUDING CLUB FUNDS
- Anything purchased with school funds, district funds, or money donations to Oakland (this includes Boosterthon or any other PTA money given directly to teachers)
- Keys and security badges
If any items are taken/missing, you will be contacted and will be responsible for replacing the items.
Important May Dates...Please Mark Your Calendars!
Thursday, May 19:
Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
Friday, May 20:
School Spirit Day
Monday, May 23:
Tuesday, May 24:
3rd & 4th Grade Fun Day
5K End of the Year Program 1:00 pm
4th Grade Awards Night @BSMS 6:30 pm
Wednesday, May 25:
5K, 1st, & 2nd Grade Fun Day
3rd Grade Awards Day 8:30 am
Thursday, May 26:
Full Day for Students
2nd Grade Awards Day 8:30 am
1st Grade Awards Day 9:45 am
Rising Stars Mentor/Mentee Luncheon 11:00 am
4K End of the Year Program 1:00 pm
Friday, May 27:
1/2 day for students
Monday, May 30:
Memorial Day Holiday
Tuesday, May 31:
1/2 day for students
Last Day of School
EOY Checkout for OES Teachers
Wednesday, June 1:
Birthday Wishes Go Out To...
Lori Witt- May 9
Hollie Bailey- May 17
Shelia Braziel- May 29