4th and 5th Grade STEM
with Mr. Horak (September 19-23)
Mr. Horak's 4th and 5th grade gifted classes (Math and STEM) are beginning a new communication system to help parents start academic conversations with their children. We will begin sending home our learning goals for the week, to help parents talk about what we did for the day and week. This means no more “What did you do today?” with the response of “nothing much” or “I don’t remember.”
Math Grade 4: (Monday-Friday)
1. Review and Practice: Place Value and Operations with Whole Numbers
2. INVESTIGATE: 2L5 Multiply Using the Distributive Property
3. L2.6 How do I Multiply Using Expanded Form?
4. L2.7 How do I Multiply Using Partial Quotients?
5. L2.8 How do I Multiply Using Mental Math?
1. Number and Operations in Base Ten
2. Compare and Contrast
3. Attend to Precision- Expanded Form
4. Compare and Contrast
5. Distributive Property
6. Partial Quotients
Science Grade 4: (Monday-Friday)
1. Review: Nature of Matter
2. 4L4 What are the States of Matter?
3. 4L5 What are Magnets?
4. 4L6 How do Magnets Attract Objects?
Skill sets: (Monday-Friday)
1. The Practice of Science
2. Characteristics of Scientific Knowledge
3. The Role of Theories, Laws, Hypotheses, and Models
4. States of Matter
Math Grade 5: (Monday-Friday)
1. END OF CHAPTER 2 TEST
2. INVESTIGATE: L3.1 Where is the Thousandths?
3. L3.2 What are the Place Values of Decimals?
4. L3.3 How do I Compare and Order Decimals?
5. L3.4 How do I Round Decimals?
1. Numbers and Operations in Base 10
2. Number and Operations- Fractions
3. Algebraic Thinking
4. Problem Solving
5. The Decimal Slide
Science Grade 5: (Monday-Friday)
1. REVIEW-Force and Motion
2. Extra Practice and Review Energy
3. People in Science- Careers in Science
4. REVIEW: Energy is Everywhere
1. Scientific Method Review
2. Analyze/ Classify Changes
3. Energy and Energy Transfer
4. Model Molecules
5. Draw Conclusions
5th grade students need to be at school between 7:00-7:05 a.m. Friday, September 23rd for the field trip. Remember, your lunch should be packed in a disposable bag, pack nothing that has to remain cold, and wear appropriate clothing (including walking shoes).