#iCONNECT Tech Tips
Friday, October 3, 2014 #EHSRedDevils
Elkmont DPI End of Month Report
Digital Passport Initiative (DPI) Deployment at Elkmont High School
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) began at Elkmont
Established Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
Set PLP Technology Learning Goals among PLCs
3.7 Educate Alabama
Training of 3rd - 12th grades on LCS GAFE Account
Training of 3rd -12th grade Math Teachers on Khan Academy
Established a weekly DPI time for each 3rd and 4th grade teacher to ensure DPI teachers/students are receiving at 75% of Instructional Technology Facilitators time each week
Established a collaborative DPI calendar
Established a weekly DPI blog post highlighting Elkmont’s progression with DPI and BYOD
Created Flipped Learning technology tutorials for teachers. More tutorials will be added as requested.
Word Mosaics with Nouns
Word clouds, also called tag clouds or a weighted list, are a visual depiction of the
frequency tabulation of the words in any selected written material, such as lecture notes, a
textbook chapter or an internet site. Font size is used to indicate frequency, so the larger the font size, the more frequently a word is used. (https://www.iupui.edu/~josotl/archive/vol_11/no_2/v11n2miley.pdf)
Give Me A S! Give Me An A! Give Me A M! Give Me A R! GO SAMR Model!
Judging where a lesson using technology falls on the SAMR Model is often hard to determine. The image below can help answer whether your lesson is an S-Substitution, A-Augmentation, M-Modification or R-Redifinition lesson.
Illustrating Vocabulary Words with Google Slides
Our next steps once we master using Google Slides (formerly Google Presentations) is to:
- work collaboratively in groups within the classroom on a single Google Slide Presentation
- work collaboratively in groups with students in other classes on a single Google Slide Presentation
- work collaboratively in groups with students in other schools on a single Google Slide Presentation
Ms. English's 3rd grade students worked in collaborative groups using Google Slides to create presentations about National Landmarks. Students learned how to find and add images and edit text. Because of the collaborative nature using Google Slides this activity ranks in the Redefinition part of the SAMR Model.
October is Connected Educator Month! Get Connected!
Millions of educators and others around the world have participated in hundreds of professional development opportunities as part of Connected Educator Month (CEM) the past two years. Originally developed by the U.S. Department of Education and its partners as part of the Connected Educators initiative, CEM offers highly distributed, diverse, and engaging activities to educators at all levels. Based on its success in 2012 and 2013, the initiative is poised to reach even more educators in 2014, through expanded partnerships and enhanced programming.
The goals of CEM include:
- Getting more educators proficient with social media to improve their practice
- Deepening and sustaining learning among those already enjoying connection’s benefits
- Helping schools credential/integrate connected learning into their formal professional development efforts
- Stimulating and supporting innovation in the field
Highlights of CEM 2013 included:
- More than 300 major education organizations, companies, or communities officially participating, including, for the first time, entire states and districts
- More than 600 national events and activities conducted officially (on the CEM calendar), many more conducted independently
- More than 1 million web pages and other online locations referencing, promoting, or discussing the event (a 300% increase over CEM 2012)
- More than 14 million educators and others reached around the world via Twitter alone (more than triple the reach of 2012)
- Recognition as one of the top educational technology news stories of both 2012 and 2013 ￼￼￼￼￼
Student Directors Premier at Elkmont
Ms. McMunn's 3rd grade students integrated their math lesson about grams and kilograms by creating an iMovie with items that represented each unit of measure.
This lesson is on the Redefinition level of the SAMR Model.