University College International Admissions

There are many steps to completing your international admissions file. We hope this list of frequently asked questions and responses will assist you in the admission process

For further questions please call 303-871-2291 or 800-347-2042. Or you can email ucolsupport@du.edu to talk with student services.

What steps do I need to take to complete my application?

Please consult International Applicant Checklist to find out what you need to do to complete your application.

You can also access a pdf version of this this list from our website: http://universitycollege.du.edu/assets/pdf/admissions/global/international_checklist.pdf

What is the English language requirement?

All University College students are required to read, write, and speak English fluently. You must provide evidence that you meet our minimum English language proficiency by demonstrating that you passed one of the following tests within the past 2 years.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): must score at least 550 on the paper-based version, or 80 on the Internet-based version

IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): must score at least 6.5 (each individual band score must be 6.0 or higher)

Can my TOEFL/IELTS requirement be waived?

The University of Denver will make the determination to waive your TOEFL/IELTS requirement if you can provide documentation that you meet one of the following criteria:

  • Earning a regionally accredited bachelor's degree from a U.S. Institution
  • If your native language is English
  • Applicants with a postsecondary degree from a formally-recognized/accredited institution and the institution's only language of instruction and examination is English

What is a degree plan and how do I complete my Degree Plan?

Your degree plan is a roadmap that details the required courses that are part of your academic program. A degree plan is required to complete the admission process and can be completed through our online Degree Builder tool.

Use the Degree Builder tool found on the University College website to create and submit your degree plan. Click on the above link or copy and paste this URL into your web browser: http://universitycollege.du.edu//DegreeBuilder/Student/ChooseDegree.aspx

Make sure to save your plan with your name and email address during the final step. Please make note of the record locator number provided when your degree plan has been successfully saved.

*You do NOT need to meet with an advisor before submitting your degree plan.

What should I include in my Essay/Statement of Purpose?

Your statement has considerable influence in admissions decisions. We will be looking for excellent written communications skills, clarity, and organization.

Sharing personal experiences, abilities, achievements, and goals is encouraged.

Your 2 page double spaced statement (approximately 450-550 words) should include:

  • How the degree you are seeking will enhance career plans
  • What you expect to learn and achieve in your degree program
  • The kind of professional position you anticipate having 5 years after you earn this degree
  • Your life experiences that form the foundation for your career or educational goals

How do I submit my letters of recommendation?

When completing your online application you will be asked to provide the names and email addresses for 2 recommenders. A Letter of Recommendation Form will be emailed directly to your recommenders from University College at the University of Denver immediately after adding their information to your application.

Please notify your recommenders to expect an email and to complete and submit the recommendation form electronically as soon as possible.

If your letter of recommendation provider is unable to submit an electronic copy, he/she may submit a letter in a sealed envelope signed across the back.

Whom should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

Letters should be completed by individuals such as former instructors, supervisors, co-workers, and individuals you know from community activities who can speak to your professional strengths and aptitude for graduate study.

Letters of recommendation should NOT be submitted by family members.

Do I need to send official transcripts and translations?

In most cases, when considering your application we will accept unofficial copies of your transcripts.

If the official language of instruction is not English, official translation copies of your transcript is requested.

If you are admitted as a student, we will require you to submit final official transcripts in a sealed envelope within the first 6 weeks of your first term. Final official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution.

Transcripts should be mailed to:

University College Admission Office

2211 S. Josephine Street

Denver, CO 80208

Who can assist me if I have questoins about the program or admission process?

University College Enrollment Counselors are available to assist students with any question regarding our programs, courses, and the admission process. To speak to an Enrollment Counselor, please contact the Student Support Center to schedule an appointment (800-347-2042; 303-871-2291; ucolsupport@du.edu). Questions specific to admission requirements can be directed to the University College International Admissions Counselor: ucolintl@du.edu.

What are the tuition rates and fees for Master's Degrees and Certificate Programs?

Current tuition rates and fees for master's degrees and certificates can be found at this webpage (http://universitycollege.du.edu/answers/tuition/masters-certificate.cfm).

Masters degrees are generally 48 hours in length, and graduate certificates are 24 hours.

How long will it take to receive an admissions decision?

The time that it takes to evaluate your application varies. This is dependent on the amount of time it takes the program director and the admission committee to evaluate your application, and for the university to evaluate your transcripts.

Most admission decisions take approximately 4-6 weeks once an application is complete.

Can I receive CPT/OPT?

Yes, we offer both CPT and OPT.

The type and duration of employment authorization you may receive will depend on the nature of the employment, your immigration status, and the relationship of the employment to your academic program.

Please check with the ISSS (International Student & Scholar Services) office for eligibility and necessary documents/forms.

For more information click on the link above, or copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: http://www.du.edu/isss/cpt-opt-employment/index.html

Will I be able to take all my courses on campus?

As a provision of an F-1 student visa, graduate students are required to take at least two courses (8 quarter credits) with at least 4-credit hour course on campus (undergraduate students on an F-1 visa must enroll in three courses (12 quarter credits) with at least two 4-credit hour courses on campus).

Due to limited on campus course offerings, it is likely that some courses will only be offered online. Review the annual course schedule located on the University College home page and work closely with your academic advisor to map out your program completion to ensure you have campus course options each quarter.

What steps should I take to obtain my I-20 (for students seeking an F-1 visa only)?

During the admissions process you will be asked to provide several documents to accompany your application, which directly relate to issuing an I-20. These include a photocopy of your current passport, a financial verification form, and the Supplemental Information Form (SEVIS supplement). Once you have been admitted, your I-20 will be processed by the Office of Internationalization and mailed to you. Mailing the I-20 may take 2-4 weeks.

Do I have access to the career service center?

Yes, once admitted you will have access to view internships and job opportunities through the Career Center.

Our advisors recommend you begin working with career services right away.

For more information consult the Career Services website (http://www.du.edu/career/index.html).

How do I find out about health insurance, housing, and student activities?

All international students with an I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Denver are required to participate in the University's Student Health Insurance Plan. For questions about coverage and cost visit the Health and Counseling website at http://www.du.edu/health-and-counseling-center/coveragecosts/

Information about housing and student life is available on the ISSS website at http://www.du.edu/isss/du-life/index.html

How do I contact ISSS (International Student & Scholar Services)?

Physical office location and mailing address:

International Student & Scholar Services

International House

2200 S Josephine St. (map)

Denver, CO 80208

Phone: + 1 303-871-4912

Email: isss@du.edu

Big image