Brave Theatre Globe
Work hard. Be nice. Have courage.
January 17th, 2016
And we're back!
This flyer contains:
- Announcement: New website, Jungle Book dates, Brave Theatre Instagram
- Classroom updates: 6th Grade Film Festival and 5th Grade projects
- New BCI in the House dates
- Popcorn Tribe: January
- Huzzah Tribe: New tribe after spring break.
Brave Theatre Instagram: @bcibravetheatre
This is a public account (meaning anyone can follow it), but I will NOT "follow" your students. This means there can be no private messaging on this account--any comments I or your students make will be public as well.
I would like to use this platform to engage students, receive feedback from them, share a little about my life, and teach proper online etiquette.
Sixth Grade Classes
KISD Film Festival
Students have been working hard on their entries into the KISD Film Festival!
A few announcements:
Film Festival Online Entries
The KISD Film Festival requires entries to be made through public online services. I will be using YouTube to enter our films.
- I will not post any names or search filters.
- I will not share the links with anyone except for the KISD Film Festival judges.
- The links will be active until the end of the film festival and no longer.
- However, it is a public site and other people may stumble upon it. Also, if your student’s film is nominated, KISD will post the link on the district website.
- If you do NOT want me to post your student’s film online, you must let me know by 2:45pm on Monday, January 25th. Please understand that this means your student will NOT be entered into the competition. This will not affect his or her grade in any way.
Filming “On Location”
Some students would like to shoot their films outside or in the hallways. For the students’ safety and accountability, only groups with a guardian present may leave my room to film.
If you would like to help your student, feel free to volunteer!!
- You would monitor your students’ group while they film their scenes during class time. See schedule below.
- If you are planning on attending, please note that you will need a BACKGROUND CHECK on file with KISD. If you don’t have one on file with the front office, please follow this link: http://www.kellerisd.net/district/career/Pages/Volunteers.aspx Click on the link under "Volunteers." Click on "Apply for this position" on the right. It will look like a job application, but it is for the background check.
- Green and Gold pods: 8:35-9:25
- Maroon and Silver pods: 9:25-10:15
- Sky Blue and Neon pods: 10:15-11:05
- Please note we are on a block schedule, so if you need to know if your student comes to theatre on an "odd" day or "even" day, let me know!
Disneybound! See more pics on our Instagram: @bcibravetheatre
Fifth Grade Classes
Peter Pan: "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!"
We have been working on physical acting, playing games like "Make Me A..." and practicing miming. We also learned about Marcel Marceau, the famous mime who helped smuggle Jewish children out of Nazi-occupied France.
In the next couple of weeks, we will perform interviews and a lip-synch project (think Jimmy Fallon, but in groups).
Ask your student:
- What are the three tools of an actor?
- How do we define mime in the theatre?
A: Voice, Body, Imagination
A: Acting without your voice and without props
BCI in the House
Next Up: The Kelley's
- Keller ISD's take on "The Tony Awards" is coming up! Judges watched all 4 KISD high school musicals, and awards will be given for Best Musical, Best Actor, Best Actress, etc. It will be a fancy, fun awards night! You may even see some Brave Theatre students onstage...
- January 22, 2016, at 7 p.m. at Timber Creek High School
- Cost is $10
We'll bring back more BCI in the House events later in the semester. Most new kid-friendly movies don't come out until March (Zootopia! Jungle Book!!), and KISD Theatre is focused on their One-Act Play competitions, so it will be slower than the fall.
I'll keep you posted!