SCCS Home Bulletin
September 22, 2021
FROM DR. B.
Greetings, SCCS families and supporters!
I’m looking forward to starting a series of notes to you, getting back to the basics and our ABCs. We’ll be focusing on the ABCs of SCCS.
First up: A = alternate revenue and accessibility.
Over the past few years, we’ve made intentional efforts to increase alternate revenue streams (outside of tuition) in order to provide as much accessibility as possible. Why? We want as many mission-appropriate families to be able to access the great things that God is doing at Sioux Center Christian School, and we never want finances to be a barrier.
Alternate revenue efforts have included Tales and Trails (summer camp), Kindercare (TK and K students coming to school on Fridays), 4Care (preschool students coming to SCCS when they are not at preschool, since preschool is a half-day program), aftercare (after-school care), Outlet 75 (the school’s retail store), the SCCS Foundation (individuals including SCCS in their final estate plans), and Spanish Club (after-school Spanish language teaching).
Some interesting information about these alternate revenue efforts:
- 62 kids (and several students that do not attend SCCS) participated in Tales and Trails summer camp last summer (an increase of 20 kids from the summer before)
- The SCCS Foundation has now reached over $3.0M, with $97,000 being distributed to the school to offset costs for the 21-22 school year
- Each family received a $460 discount per child this year, which are the profits distributed from these alternate revenue efforts (with 511 students enrolled, that’s a total of $235,060!)
We praise God for His financial blessings to SCCS, and it is our desire to continue deepening our efforts so that we can be as accessible as possible to families. In another article, I’ll share more about the Legacy Plan, which is another accessibility method we have at SCCS.
Have a great week ahead, Trailblazers. Thank you for choosing SCCS!
3RD GRADE DAY AT FIELDS OF FUN
KINDERGARTEN NIGHT AT FIELDS OF FUN
Not many things better than the sound of kids playing with their friends, a crisp fall night, and good food. Kindergarten night at Fields of Fun! #somuchenergy #bigpig #pumpkinbread #treasured #trained #transformed
BOARD OF TRUSTEES UPDATE
The board of trustees is thankful for the support of the SCCS community and the passion the constituency has for the mission of SCCS. Please check out this link for an update from Greg Van Dyke, board president:
IMPACT OUR TREASURED STUDENTS
You can give a donation that impacts our students while also receiving 75% of your donation back!
How is this possible??
When you make a donation to NICSTO (Northwest Iowa Christian Schools Tuition Organization), you receive an IOWA TAX CREDIT certificate valued at 75% of your donation.
Sioux Center Christian receives 100% of your gift and grants it to students who qualify. Last year, 267 of our students were blessed to receive $224,807 in NICSTO tuition grants!
Our goal this year is $316,242…and if we do not reach our goal, other Christian schools within NICSTO are allowed to finish up our goal and receive additional tuition grants for their school.
It’s easy to give! There is no minimum or maximum; you may give cash, grain, stocks, bonds, or from your IRA.
Learn more about this giving opportunity: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/support/nicsto.cfm
Forms are available by the TRIP window or at the link above.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- There will be no school for students on Thursday, Oct 7 and Friday, Oct. 8. Teachers will be attending the Heartland Conference on Dordt's campus on those days. The TRIP office will be open on Thursday from 8:00-1:00 and closed on Friday. The school office will be closed both days.
BOX TOP INFORMATION
The physical box tops are going away and being replaced by digital ones. As a school we are no longer collecting box tops in the classrooms but encourage you to continue to scan your receipts for the school. We will also continue to have a box outside of the TRIP office where you can bring any physical box tops that you still have. If you have any questions or need help with the app, you can contact Emily Mouw (303-437-6430) or Kristi Van Wyk (712-449-5365) Thanks!
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS NEEDED
We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Carmen Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
BRIDGE OF HOPE APPLE PIES
Bridge of Hope is once again making and selling delicious apple pies as a fundraiser for their Christian Education Fund. Pies are $15 each. If interested in purchasing, please contact the church office (722- 3951 or email@example.com) with your name, phone number and number of pies you wish to purchase by Monday, September 27.
Pies will be made on Saturday, October 23, and will be ready for pickup at the church office/Ministry Center (43 2nd Street NE) on Tuesday, October 26 or Thursday, October 28, from 9:00am to 5:00pm. (If neither of those pick-up dates work, arrangements can be made for a different time.) Thanks for your support!
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
5th/6th Sioux Center Rec Volleyball Teams & Schedules
Western Christian Junior Wolfpack Girls Basketball for Grades 5-8
6th-8th Theatre Workshop Sign up
Try Hockey for Grades K-4
Dordt Cheer Youth Camp for Grades TK-6
Girl Scout Information
Sioux Center Drivers Fall Education Classes
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED