WMS- Aug 8 update
A Note from the Desk of Ms. Serino, principal
THIS WEDNESDAY 8/10- Virtual Orientation for New Students
NEW: Here are the slides that will guide our session.
Meeting ID: 826 7676 8961
One tap mobile: +13017158592,,82676768961# US (Washington DC)
NEXT WEEK- Aug 16 or 19- Chromebook Distribution for New Students
All 6th graders and any new 7th and 8th graders will be issued Chromebooks this year.
We hope many of you can pick them up before school starts! We have two dates to offer...
- Tuesday, August 16 from 9-12 and
- Friday, August 19 from 12-3
Chromebooks will be distributed curbside by the cafeteria entrance. Please have your student ID number written on an index card to expedite the process.
Students who are unable to attend on these dates will have other opportunities to retrieve their Chromebook at the beginning of the school year.
NEW INFO- Label Everything
Middle school kids visit approximately 10-13 spaces each school day and their items get misplaced ALL THE TIME. In my family? We use a Sharpie or we lose the items!!!!
So, please label everything, and, if you are going to purchase cute labels, why not support a Westland fundraiser through Mabel's Labels? https://mabelslabels.com/en_US/fundraising/support/
UPDATED- Help us recruit!
- a building services worker
- a speech language pathologist
- a special education teacher
- a long term substitute teacher to serve our ARS students
- two computer science teachers
- two special education paraeducators to serve our ARS students
We need your help as we continue to look for:
- a special education teacher to support our Autism Resource Services (ARS) program
- a 6.5 hr/day special education paraeducator to support students in various classes (with benefits)
- a 7 hr lunch aide/paraedcator (with benefits)
- two, 6 hr/day special education paraeducators to support individual students (no benefits)
Please contact Alison_L_Serino@mcpsmd.org with any leads.
Search MCPS careers for details.
Aug 25 New Parent/Caregiver Info Sessions- Virtual! Bilingual!
NEW These are the slides we will present. Slides for Aug 25 Meeting
Thursday, August 25 from 6:00-7:00 PM.
Presentation in English with interpretation in Spanish.
Meeting ID: 973 2464 3856
One tap mobile: +13017158592,,97324643856# US (Washington DC)
Cell Phone Policy 2022-23
- Students may use devices before 8:10 and after 3:00. (same)
- Parents who need to get urgent messages to kids should contact the main office. (same)
- Devices must be stored in student lockers. (new)
- Students may send/receive messages during the 4 minutes before and the 4 minutes after their lunch while standing at their lockers. (new)
- There will be no cell phone use during lunch by any grade levels of students on any days of the week. (new)
School Supply List
A 3-ring binder with locking rings
A pencil pouch
Pens, pencils, highlighters
A set of colored pencils
Headphones or earbuds
Non-aerosol deodorant (for PE)
We supply Chromebook, charger and case
We supply combination locks
A change of clothes for PE. Black, navy, white or gray t-shirts and shorts/pants. PE teachers will sell Westland clothes when school starts.
A planner/calendar book
A reusable water bottle
Apply Now for Free and Reduced-Priced Meals
Please use the link here to submit your application.
Vaccination or Medical Forms
Summer MYP Exploration for All Westland Students
Summer MYP Exploration- assigned book (Rick) and online assignments
Each summer, Westland students and staff read a text that explores a compelling issue(s). Students also complete several assignments within an online classroom. This work leads into further school-wide exploration and action in the fall.
Please come by the school between 8:30-3:30 to borrow a copy of the text, Rick by Alex Gino or get it from your local library! Click here. Westland MYP Summer Exploration- book and myMCPS classroom
Summer Learning for All Westland Students
Summer Math- practice exercises
We encourage Westland students to complete material for the math class they are enrolled in this fall (2022-23) to keep their math brains sharp. Click here. Westland Summer Math practice
Summer Reading- book (of your choice) and reflection (of your choice)
We ask Westland students to read a book of their choice and complete a reflection question of their choice. This will be submitted to English teachers as a homework assignment in the fall. Click here. Westland Summer Reading assignment
A Cool Way to Practice Opening a Locker!
Practice with https://www.hoodamath.com/games/combinationlock.html.
- Turn to the right to the first number.
- Turn to the left and pass the first number once. Land on the second number.
- Turn to the right to the last number.,
Fall Athletics- medical forms and parent permission
The athletics registration portal will not open for middle school athletes until August 15 but we want to make people aware that physical evaluations are required prior to the first day of tryouts.
Resources to assist with the online registration process can be found here. Forms are available here. Resources in Spanish are available here. Additional information regarding middle school athletics registration can be found here.
Save the Date- Back to School Night on Sept 15 IN PERSON for Parents
Teachers will also publish introductory videos for parents to review at their convenience.
Running Calendar (new items added in bold)
- W, 8/10- Sneak Peek Orientation for new students- 6:00 PM Zoom
- M, 8/15- Online Athletic Portal for 7th/8th graders opens
- Tu, 8/16- Chromebook Distribution for new students- 9:00 AM- 12:00 Noon
- Tu, 8/16- Sneak Peek Orientation for new students- 6:00 PM Zoom
- F, 8/19- Chromebook Distribution for new students - 12:00- 3:00 PM
- Th, 8/25- Mini Day Orientation for new students- 8:30 AM- 12:00 PM in person
- Th, 8/25- New Parent Info Session- 6:00 PM Zoom (bilingual Spanish/English)
- M, 8/29- First Day of School for Students- 8:15-3:00
- M, 9/5- Labor Day Holiday
- F, 9/9- Student Photos Taken at School
- W, 9/14- Early Release Day- Students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- Th, 9/15- Back to School Night for Parents- 6:30-8:30 PM in person (intro videos will also be available)
- W, 9/21- After School Mix and Mingle for Sixth Graders- 3-4:30 PM
- M, 9/26- No School for Students/Teachers
- W, 9/28- Sixth Grade MYP & Team Building Day
- Th, 9/29- After School Mix and Mingle for Seventh Graders- 3-4:30 PM
- Th, 9/29- Cross Country and Boys Softball at Silver Creek, Girls Softball Home
- F, 9/30- MYP-focused learning
- F, 9/30- Early Release Day- Students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- F, 9/30- 8th Grade Bowling Outing, 12:30-2:30 PM
Main Office (240.740.5850)
Principal- Alison Serino, Alison_L_Serino@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal (6th grade and half of 8th grade M-Z)- Jason Jefferson, Jason_A_Jefferson@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal (7th grade and half of 8th grade 8 A-L)- Natasha Alston, Natasha_S_Alston@mcpcmsd.org
Administrative Secretary- Terri Howells, Mary_T_Howells@mcpsmd.org
Financial Specialist- Suzanne Marcou, Suzanne_W_Marcou@mcpsmd.org
Counseling/Registrar Office (240.740.5860)
Counseling Chairperson/7th grade counselor- Caryn Fischer, Caryn_Fischer@mcpsmd.org
6th Grade Counselor- Lauren Geissel, Lauren_Geissel@mcpsmd.org
7th Grade Counselor- Ashley Harper, Ashley_Harper@mcpsmd.org
8th Grade Counselor- Laura Williams, Laura_K_Williams@mcpsmd.org
Counseling Office Secretary- (Sara) Sally Belott, Sara_A_Belott@mcpsmd.org