Cannon News FLASH
Staff Information & Updates 06/01/15
From The Principal's Pen...
Did You Know?
- All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. Research spanning 100 years shows that students typically score lower on standardized tests at the end of summer vacation than they do on the same tests at the beginning of the summer (White, 1906; Heyns, 1978; Entwisle & Alexander 1992; Cooper, 1996; Downey et al, 2004).
- Most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months. Low-income students also lose more than two months in reading achievement, despite the fact that their middle-class peers make slight gains (Cooper, 1996).
- More than half of the achievement gap between lower- and higher-income youth can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities. As a result, low-income youth are less likely to graduate from high school or enter college (Alexander et al, 2009).
- Children lose more than academic knowledge over the summer. Most children—particularly children at high risk of obesity—gain weight more rapidly when they are out of school during summer break (Von Hippel et al, 2010).
- Parents consistently cite summer as the most difficult time to ensure that their children have productive things to do (Duffett et al, 2009).
We have an opportunity to try to address the Summer Learning Gap that occurs with all kids, by allowing our Cannon scholars to keep their iPads this summer and to stay engaged in learning all summer long, with the Cannon Summer Reading Challenge & the Summer Learning Challenges!
I realize that this is the busiest time of the year for everyone, but please take the time this week to help us ensure that our scholars are aware of the expectations for summer learning, through the Reading/Learning Challenges that were sent home with all scholars. IF we keep our kids engaged in learning all summer, the pay-offs will be HUGE for them and us, as they return to school next year.
THANKS for your help with this!
Proud to be your principal!
SUMMER READING & LEARNING CHALLENGES!
Please take a moment to look over the details, using the links below.
Taking the time to review this information in class with your scholars and including this information in your parent communications will really help get our scholars involved!! All scholars that complete the summer challenges will be eligible for fun incentives when they return to school!
Please note that both of these challenges will be added to the Cannon app, under the STUDENT BUTTON this week. Please show your scholars how to access them this way!
LISA'S COACHING CORNER
Thank you for an amazing school year serving as your Learning Liaison.
I am excited about the future and look forward to working with you and
your team in any capacity, not just through PLCs. Please subscribe to
my blog at http://lisascoachingcorner.blogspot.com. I plan to continue
to write updates as I learn this summer. I am available via a phone
call or email.
Dates to Remember
6/1 End of Year Awards Ceremonies - 2nd grade - 8:30; 3rd grade - 9:45
6/2 End of Year Awards Ceremony- 4th grade - 1:45
6/3 End of Year Awards Ceremony - 5th grade - 8:30
6/4 Campus-Wide Clap-Out - 5th grade scholars - 11:30
6/4 Last day of school for students - early release - 11:45
6/4 End of year staff luncheon & recognitions - 12:30-1:30
6/5 Last work day for staff
8/4 Registration/Residency Verification 12:00-3:00 pm
8/5 Registration/Residency Verification 8:00-7:00 pm
8/17 1st day for staff - 2015-2016 school year!
8/18 Convocation - 9:00 am CHHS
8/20 Meet the Teacher Night!
8/24 1st day for students
PLANNING TO SCREAM THE THEME!!
Please continue to add YOUR ideas for our school "phrase" and any related artwork ideas you might have that support it to our document, so that we can scream our theme next year!
READY? SET. GO!! SCREAM THE THEME IDEAS - 2015-2016
REMINDERS & UPDATES
- iPAD SUMMER USE PERMISSION FORMS - All classroom teachers are responsible for collecting and recording responses from the parent permission forms for students to keep their iPads throughout the summer. After you have received forms from all parents, please turn these in to Tona, with a list on top of all students who did NOT receive permission to keep their devices. These devices, along with the chargers, will be collected by David on Wednesday, June 3rd.
- CLASSROOM LAPTOPS - All classroom teachers should plan to turn in their classroom laptops this week. David will be coming around to each classroom to collect these laptops and check them in on his inventory list. These will be placed in a safe storage area over the summer and technology services will update all devices.
- 5th GRADE CLAP OUT ON THE LAST DAY - Please make plans to have your students line the hallways on the last day of school, beginning at 11:30, to "clap-out" our 5th graders, as they walk the halls of Cannon for the final time! This tradition makes such an impression on scholars in ALL grade levels, and the 5th graders love seeing all of the educators who have positively impacted their elementary careers, one last time, as they parade through the halls.
- FLEX INFORMATION FOR 2015-2016 - Here are the instructions for accessing the Flex website. The FLEX modules have been moved from iTunes U to Google sites for ease and consistency. There are several modules that do not have content yet, but those should be completed soon so teachers will be able to work on them over the summer if they wish. Newly hired teachers will receive this information from HR so they can begin this summer if they wish. Click here to access FLEX modules.
Remember that district policy states that FLEX requirements are to be met within 60 days of the contract start date. Staff will receive credit in Eduphoria upon completion of these modules. Teachers can access and print their transcripts demonstrating completion of the FLEX requirements.
- STUDENT PLACEMENT FORMS - Please make sure you have met with your team, the Sped team & Cindy Walling to group your students into classes for next year. Turn in the pink/blue placement sheets to Tona and complete the Student Group class lists in THIS 2015-2016 CLASS LIST folder. Please refer to example class list that is in the folder, as well as the direction page in this folder, if you have any questions. Please complete these lists by June 2nd at 4:00 pm.
- STAFF PLP's -UPDATE & DUE DATE- One of the items on the End of the Year checklist for staff will be to make sure your PLP (Professional Learning Plan) for 2015-2016 is complete. Lisa has been discussing this in grade level PLC's and has shared a link to the PLP folder, which contains another folder called PLP Documents. Within this folder, you will find both PLP templates (the narrative form & the one with the boxes), as well as other related documents (LEAD 2021, Portrait of a Graduate, & Learning Platform Rubric, Portrait of a STEM Teacher). As a reminder, staff can choose either of the PLP templates to use, based on your personal preference. Remember that you will need to make a copy of whichever template you use and move it to your own PLP folder to complete. Remember that your PLP should be a PERSONALIZED learning plan - for your individual learning needs, not a TEAM learning plan. Select goals that you are personally passionate about and that will positively impact your scholars! PLP's need to be completed by staff before they leave for the summer. Click here for the Cannon Staff PLP folder & PLP Document folder. Lisa already has several appointments set up with staff members to help answer questions about PLP development. Let hee know if you would like to meet with her!
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR END OF YEAR STAFF LUNCHEON - We will gather as a staff on the last school day, June 4th, from 12:30-1:30, in the library, to celebrate our school year and say farewell for the summer! Lunch will be provided for all staff. We will also use this time to share important summer reminders, say farewell to staff that is not returning next year, present service awards, and introduce new staff! Mark your calendars now for this staff event!
SUMMER 2015 PD OPPORTUNITIES!
This link will be provided in the staff newsletter for the rest of the year, so check back often for new updates to the list!
This document currently has Humanities, Technology, STEM, and PBL class offerings. Everything listed is a district offered training and is FREE, unless noted otherwise. If there is a sign-up for the class already in Eduphoria, the link is listed.
**Please be aware the TECHNOLOGY classes fill up fast so SIGN UP FAST.
TO DO LIST
- Do attendance online between 9:45- 10:15 each day.
- Dual Language teachers meet at 3:00 on 6/1 in the library.
- Work with teams, Sped., and ASPIRE to complete student class lists.
- Promote Summer Reading/Learning Challenges to all scholars and parents!
- Share your ideas on the Scream the Theme 2015-2016 document!
- Make plans to attend End of Year Staff Luncheon - 6/4 - 12:30 pm
- Complete PLP's and submit to Cannon Staff PLP folder before last day of work.
- Check out the Summer PD opportunities for new updates!
- Have an AMAZING summer break! Rest, relax, recharge, and get reinvigorated through some professional learning opportunities! :)