SHES Weekly Update
August 5th, 2022
Updates for the Week of May 29 - June 2, 2023
Dear Shadow Hills Families,
I would like to express my heartfelt pride and gratitude for the hard work and dedication demonstrated by our students during the recent testing period. It has been a challenging journey, but with your support and their determination, we are just about to complete another successful academic year.
I am thrilled to announce that we have some exciting end-of-year events planned that I know our students and families eagerly await. These events provide an opportunity for our school community to come together, celebrate achievements, and create lasting memories. Here is a glimpse of what's in store for the remainder of the academic year:
1. Multicultural Performance: The Multicultural Performance, scheduled for June 1, will showcase the diversity and rich Spanish cultural heritage of our school. Our students will take the stage, presenting vibrant dances, music, and traditional costumes.
2. Spirit Assembly: Our last spirit assembly is scheduled for June 2. We look forward to seeing all our award recipients and their families.
3. Field Day: Our annual Field Day will be held on June 8. Students will engage in a variety of outdoor activities and games. It promises to be a day filled with fun, laughter, and unforgettable moments. Please ensure that all student and volunteers turn in a permission slip to your child's teacher.
4. 5th Grade Promotion Activities: For our 5th-grade students, this marks an important milestone in their academic journey. We have carefully planned a series of promotion activities to commemorate their achievements and bid them farewell as they embark on their middle school years.
As we approach Memorial Day weekend, I would like to remind everyone that there will be no school on Monday, May 29, in observance of this important national holiday. It is a time for us to reflect upon and honor the courageous individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in the military. Let us remember their valor and contributions to our country.
Lastly, I would like to inform you all that Mountain View Learning Academy's promotion ceremony will be on Tuesday, May 30, from 9:00 am to 11:30 am. The event will be held on the front lawn of Shadow Hills, parking will be more difficult, please plan accordingly.
Thank you once again for your continued support, trust, and partnership in providing the best education for our students. I look forward to celebrating the achievements, milestones, and end-of-year events together in the coming weeks. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.
Note from Mr. Selleck
I was able to be on campus most of this week to observe and begin to get to know some of the staff and kids. I am extremely grateful to Mrs. Meris for hosting me and being so generous with her time during this transition.
Some of the highlights of the week included the greetings each morning from the students, seeing dedicated teachers in action in the classrooms, students working hard on state testing, support staff going above and beyond to keep the school running smoothly, an evening of little league baseball, and the expression of gratitude for the volunteers.
I hope you are having a great Memorial Day Weekend,
We want to express our sincere appreciation to all members of Team AUSD. Your unwavering dedication and commitment have a profound and beneficial influence on all of our students' lives. We're genuinely grateful for your contributions and can't thank you enough!
Character Education - Perseverance
Here at school, we have been very busy learning about perseverance- what it means, and how we can practice it! Learning happens best when it is done both at school and at home. Below are many ways that you can help you child continue to learn about the theme of perseverance through reading about it, talking about it, and practicing it! We have really enjoyed exploring this topic at school, and I hope your family will enjoy it just as much!
Reading About It
Here are some books to help you learn more perseverance:
Help your child learn to persevere by engaging in difficult tasks with him/her. Buy a large puzzle, learn and perfect a new skill, etc. Find something to do together and commit to pushing each other through the challenge.
Talk About It!
Here are some discussion points to help you talk about perseverance with your child:
- What do you think perseverance means and why is it important?
- Tell me about someone when it was hard to get through a challenge. How did you feel after?
- What are some things that are hard for you to push through, and how can I help you?
- What are 3 goals you have? What may be some challenges to meeting these goals? What will happen if you don't give up?
We are excited to announce our annual Multicultural Performance from our students and staff for your enjoyment. We would like to extend a special invitation to all families to attend and join us in celebrating the hard work and achievements of our students. This performance is a great way to showcase our school's dedication to fostering a bicultural environment where students can learn and grow in Spanish and English. We believe that by providing our students with a multicultural education, we are preparing them to be global citizens who can thrive in an increasingly diverse and interconnected world. We look forward to seeing you at our multicultural performance and celebrating the achievements of our students together.
SHES Field Day
We are excited to announce that Field Day is just around the corner! Field Day is a highly anticipated event where our students come together to engage in various outdoor activities, fostering teamwork, friendly competition, and physical fitness. We are confident that this year's Field Day will be an unforgettable experience for our students, and we invite you to join us in cheering them on. Let's make this day a memorable one for our students!
If you would like your child to participate in Field Day, please complete a student permission slip and turn it in to your child's teacher. If you would like to volunteer, please fill out a volunteer permission slip.
5th grade families only.
5th grade families only.
5th grade families only.
Summer Expanded Learning Program
Registration is open for our Summer Expanded Learning Program. Spaces are still available in many of our camps. such as Chess, Math Mania, Spanish Art, Being a DJ, Literature and Crafts, Cooking and Nutrition, STEM, Drumming, Creative Writing, and much more.