Elijah of Buxton
By: Christopher Paul Curtis
Elijah- The main character. The first child born free in the town of Buxton. He is very fragile. Elijah is very talented at throwing rocks so hard that they can be used as a weapon.
Cooter- Elijah's best friend. Helps out around town.
The Preacher (Zepheria)- A mysterious man. Claims to be a "Preacher."
Mr. Leroy- A hard worker who chops down trees to earn money so he can buy his family. Elijah is his helper.
Mrs. Holton- A women who Mr. Leroy works for. Her husband is a slave in which she is trying to get free.
Theodore- A trustworthy man. He tries to help Mr. Leroy get his family back.
Emma Collins- A girl in Elijah's class at school. She is even more fragile then Elijah.
Ma-Wee- A boy that the Preacher and Elijah met at the carnival. Is almost a slave for the carnival.
- Elijah was the first free born slave in Buxton.
- Elijah's mom and Emma Collin's mom were competing to see who would have their child first.
- The Preacher takes a bunch of Elijah's fish.
- The Preacher sees Elijah's talent in throwing rocks.
- The Preacher convinces Elijah to go to the carnival with him to show off his talent.
- When they get back from the carnival Elijah found out that the Preacher had gone back and freed Ma-Wee because he was being treated badly.
- Mrs. Holton's husband has died.
- Mr. Leroy makes her a sign for above her to door to remember her husband.
- She pays him by giving him enough gold coins to buy his whole family.
- The Preacher and Theodor go to buy Mr. Leroy's family.
- Later, a carriage comes back with injured Theodor in it saying he has been shot by Zepheria (The Preacher).
- Mr. Leroy captures Elijah and makes him go to America with him to find The Preacher, get his money back, and kill him.
- Mr. Leroy dies and Elijah is left alone to find The Preacher.
- Elijah ends ups finding five slaves that have been captured and a baby.
- Elijah takes the baby, with the parents permission, and brings it back to Buxton saving the baby's life.
Curtis, Christopher Paul. Elijah of Buxton. United States: Scholastic Inc. 2007. Print.
Bird, Elizabeth. "Top 100 Children’s Novels #60: Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis." A Fuse 8 Production. School Library Journal, 2016. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/2012/05/24/top-100-childrens-novels-60-bud-not-buddy-by-christopher-paul-curtis/#_>.
"Christopher Paul Curtis's Biography." Scholastic Teachers. Scholastic, 2016. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/contributor/christopher-paul-curtis>.