What makes this person special or interesting?
Michelle Obama is special because she is the first African American first lady the United States. She was born and raised on the south side of Chicago. She learned how to read at age four, and she skipped second grade. By sixth grade she was in all gifted and talented classes. She attended Chicago's first magnet high school for gifted children. After high school, she attended Princeton University and graduated cum laude in 1985. She then went to Harvard Law school.
What effect did she have on the World?
Before Michelle was first lady, she felt her true calling was working with people to serve their communities, and neighbors. She was the founding executive director of Chicago Chapter of Public allies. This is an Americorps program that prepares youth for public service. As first lady, she launched the 2010 "Lets Move" campaign, aimed at tackling the challenges of childhood obesity. This program focuses on healthier food in schools, encouraging kids to be more physically active, and making healthy food affordable and available throughout the United States. In 2011 she joined Jill Biden with the "Joining Forces" . This helps service members and their families meet their unique needs. These two major programs help millions of Americans.
Smart-she is one of the most educated first ladies
Normal-she shops at target and wore a 32$ dress on the today show in 2011
A mother-she thinks of herself as mother first
Healthy-eating and exercising are a way of life for her
Beautiful-inside and out
Events that changed her life
Meeting Barack Obama changed her life.
Michelle Obama's Timeline
- Born January 17, 1964
- 1981 graduated Whitney M. Young Magnet high school as class salutorian
- 1985 graduated from Princeton
- 1988 Harvard Law school
- 1989 Met Barack. He was a summer intern.
- Married Barack October 3, 1992
- 1993 Executive director Chicago public affairs
- 1998 Malia (her daughter) was born
- 2001 Sasha (her daughter) was born
- 2002 Vice president of Community and External Affairs for University of Chicago Medical Center
- 2004 Barack Obama elected to U.S. senate
- 2006 Essence Magazine names Michelle as one of 25 World's Most Inspiring Women
- 2008 Barack Obama elected as President of the United States
- 2010 Launches "Let's Move"
- 2011 Launches "Joining Forces"
- 2012 Barack Obama is reelected as President of the United States
Colbert, David. Michelle Obama An American Story.
Boston, Sandpiper, 2009. Print.