Media Impact on Body Image
The way you see yourself and imagine how you look.
The way you not only look but they way you feel on the inside.
How are body images shaped?
A lot of times people get caught up in what models look like and what famous people look like but in reality not even them look that good because they use Photoshop on their pictures.
Self Image Facts
- 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies
- Only 5% posses the body type of women portrayed in adds
- 58% of college aged girls feel pressured to be a certain weight
- The more reality a teen watches the more likely they are to find appearance important
- More than 40% of women and 20% men agreed they would consider cosmetic surgery
- 95% of people with eating disorders are between 12-25
- Only 10% of people with an eating disorder seek professional help
- More than 80% of girls have tried dieting by the age of 10
- More than 90% girls ages 15-17 would change at least one thing about themselves
- At least 12% of teen age boys use unproven supplements or steriods
5 ways to improve body image
- Avoid offending media
- Consciously seek out media that positively reinforces body image
- Eat respectively
- Replace a negative thought with a positive one
- Work out