Mrs. Drake's Kindergarten News
Hello Kindergarten Families!
Welcome to Kindergarten Room 108. Here you will find updates and news of what's happening in our classroom.
Here's What We've Been Up To...
In Language Arts...
In Language Arts...
- This week we learned that there are three ways to read a book. We can read the words, look at the pictures and tell a story we already know.
- We continued jolly phonics this week focusing on the letters e ,h, r, m, d
- Kindergarten readers learned that they can read the world by looking and thinking, "What would make sense?" We had fun walking around the school reading different signs and looking at a variety of familiar logos.
- In writing we learned that we can become growing artists. We can draw lines, shapes, people, add color, words, details and fill up the whole space.
- We worked on respecting others and being good listeners. Mrs. Levin came in and told us stories.
- During our specials play block, students participated in a lesson called "Thinking Thoughts and Feeling Feelings."
- Students have been introduced to our classroom iPads. Each child has a 4-digit password that they are working really hard to remember.
- Our current science is on weather. We brainstormed a list of things we already know about weather and read What Will the Weather Be Like Today?
- Students have been learning to subitize which mean that they can recognize the number of objects quickly without counting them.
- Some of this weeks favorite math centers including sorting dominoes, practicing writing numbers, and a five frame matching game
- Kindergarten mathematicians have been searching for patterns on our September calendar. This month our calendar's pattern includes familiar shapes we see around the world. Students are predicting what they think the next picture in the pattern will be and are working on explaining their thinking.
Kindergarten at play
Letters and Words
s, a ,t ,i ,p ,n c ,k ,e ,h ,r, m, d
I, a, the, like, see, can, at, my, go
- Remember to sign up for parent-teacher conferences. A form went home this week with instructions on how to sign up.
- Don't forget to send your child's take home folder back to school in his/her backpack daily.
- If your child doesn't have an extra change of clothes in his/her locker, please make sure to send some.