BY VALERIE BARRETT AND JANEK MANNING
South Carolina Columbia
SMILING FACES BEAUTIFUL PLACES !!
Facts about Religion in the South Carolina Colony
Government in the South Carolina Colony
Economics in the South Carolina Colony
People should come to South Carolina because :
South Carolina was one of the original thirteen colonies of the United States
2. In the Stamp Act Crisis of 1765, South Carolina came together with the other colonies to oppose British taxation and played a major role in Britain
3. In 2000, the Confederate flag was removed from the dome on top of the State House and placed on the grounds near the Confederate Soldier Monument in response to a NAACP boycott of the state and protests over the years.
4. The palmetto tree has been an important icon of South Carolina since the American Revolutionary War
5. When the British attacked a fort on Sullivan’s Island, near Charleston, the cannonballs bounced off the spongy palmetto logs used to build the exterior wall
6. On November 2, 1954, former governor Strom Thurmond became the first person to be elected to the U.S. Senate as a write-in candidate, winning 63 percent of the vote.
7. Thurmond served the state of South Carolina as senator for 47 years, five months and eight days.