January 3 - 7, 2022
Happy New Year Tiger Families!!
Vision: W. G. Sanders Middle School, in collaboration with an engaged community, is committed to ensuring that each learner achieves his/her potential in a safe, caring, academically challenging and diverse learning environment that will develop productive citizens for a changing world.
Mission: We are W. G. Sanders Middle School, a leader in transforming lives through education, empowering all students to achieve their potential and dreams.
Goals (What do we want to see at the end of the year?)
By June 2022, the number/percent of OSS students will be reduced from 187/31.48% to no more than 154/29.48%.
By June 2022, the chronic absenteeism rate will be reduced from 11.8% to less than 9.8%.
By June 2022, more than 65% of students in grades 6-8 will meet or exceed growth targets in reading and math based on the district’s interim assessment.
By June 2022, more than 92% of the students will pass the End of the Course Exam in Algebra I.
How Are We Progressing?
Use the below link to register for the one hour session to be held January 13, 2022, from 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm.
New DHEC Guidelines
SCDHEC has aligned its guidance regarding isolations and quarantines to reflect changes in the recommended protocols that were announced by the CDC last week.
Additional information will follow.
Tidbits of Information for You
- All after school programs resume on Monday, January 3rd
- Pageant Practice will resume on Tuesday's and Thursday's (Jan 4th and 6th)
- Pageant Glamour Shots will be taken on January 29th; look for additional information from Mrs. Kelley
- All basketball and cheer practices will resume as normal on January 3rd
- The first basketball game of the new year is Wednesday, January 5th, at Gibbes Middle School, 5:45 pm
- The STAR testing window is January 5th - 21st
- SIC Meeting: January 10th at 5:30 pm
- A Career Magnet Virtual Information Session will be held on January 11th at 5:00 pm for new interested parents. Additional dates will follow.
- A Montessori Virtual Parent Information Session will be held January 13th at 12:30 pm for those parents who are interested in Montessori (You must have 3 consecutive years of previous Montessori instruction)
- The end of Quarter 2/Semester 1 is January 13th
- January 14th is a Teacher Workday/No School for Students
- January 17th is Martin Luther King, Jr Holiday/No School
- Report cards will be issued on January 20th
Upcoming Class Changes
- 6th Grade Traditional GT Math will move from 6th period to 1st period and join with the Career Magnet class taught by Ms. Tori Seymour.
- Ms. Patubo will open a needed 8th grade traditional math class to reduce class size and to provide the needed support in 8th grade traditional math instruction.
- The traditiional honors science classes will be pulled out and will recieve their instruction from Ms. Wedderburn. We are expecting a new science teacher who will replace Ms. Wedderburn as the 8th grade traditional science teacher.
- CM and Traditional: Club/Intervention will change to Club for some and Intervention for others. We will use the STAR results to determine which students are in need of the additional academic support during Club/Intervention Friday's.
- Mrs. Butler will teach all of 7th grade SS. Should this change, we will let you know.