Pleasant View Elementary Flyer
Friday, September 16, 2022
Dear PVE Families
What an incredibly exciting week at PVE! We are beyond thrilled about our IDOE Excellence in Early Literacy Award and can't wait to continue to prepare for Jog-A-Thon! Our students continue to learn and grow through the varied experiences our talented team prepares for them each day.
Here are some other notable activities to highlight:
- PVE IDOE Early Literacy Award - The special flyer outlining our exciting award regarding excellence in literacy instruction is linked here in case anyone missed or wants to read about it again! Please do see our special "Reach for the Stars" Red Carpet Gala spirit day section below to prepared for next Wednesday's day of celebration for all staff and students.
- PVE Dad's Club Tailgate TONIGHT - Friday, September 16th (5-7pm) is our annual Tailgate! We hope to see many families come out tonight for our PVE Dad's Club Tailgate prior to the ZCHS Homecoming Football Game. The cost is $5 (cash or Venmo) per person (3 and under free) and includes hamburgers/hotdogs, chips, drinks, games and more! Please bring your own chair
- Jogathon is NEXT FRIDAY 9/23 - Please see the section below for the schedule, donation link, prize information, and tips to prepare your child below!
- Breakfast Offering Begins 10/10 - We will begin offering breakfast on Monday, October 10th each school day between 7:45am and 8:05. As a reminder, you do not need to sign your child up, he or she can just come to the upper café to eat on any day. However, this year there will be a charge of $1.40 (unless free/reduced status is in play).
- GROW Fall Break Access Days: ZCS GROW offers childcare during Fall Break, October 10th-14th at Pleasant View Elementary. This is for Preschool through 6th grade. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30. See the GROW section further down in the flyer for all the details!
- School Safety Lessons - Over the next two weeks, safety lessons will occur in all classrooms. Please be on the lookout for a message that I will send this weekend via ParentSquare.
- Fundaes Dining for Dollars 9/21 from 4-8pm! We are looking forward to our 1st PVE Dining for Dollars, where a portion of the proceeds go directly to PVE. We will have dozens of PVE staff present to welcome families and scoop ice cream throughout the event. See below for a list of which PVE Staff Members will be at Fundaes during this time.
Hope to see you soon at our Tailgate and hope you enjoy the Homecoming Game if you choose to attend!
All the best,
Stacy and Jodi
Dr. Stacy Smith - Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17999
Mrs. Jodi Morrow - Assistant Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17994
2022-2023 Important Dates
September 15th - October 15th - National Hispanic Heritage Month
September 16th - PVE Dad's Club Tailgate at Jennings Field (5-7pm) & ZCS Homecoming
September 17th - Constitution Day
September 19th - September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Spirit Week
September 21st - Reach for the Stars Red Carpet Gala Spirit Day & PVE Dining For Dollars at Fundae's with PVE Staff Scoopers after school!
September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Fundraiser (rain date 9/28) & ZEF Polo at Sunset Event (see image towards end of flyer for details)
September 26th & 27th - 1st Grade Grandparents Day
September 29th from 6:00-7:30pm - PVE STEAM/Wellness Family Night
September 26th - October 4th - 1st Grade Music Visits
October 5th - PVE October Spirit Day
October 7th - End of Quarter 1 & Fall Party/Crazy Dress Day
October 10th -14th - No School due to Fall Break
October 24th - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences (PM)
October 25th - eDay & Family/Student Conferences
October 27th from 5:00-6:00pm - PTO Meeting in the Media Center
November 2nd - PVE November Spirit Day
November 10th - 3rd Grade World Kindness Day
November 11th - Veterans Day Program
November 23rd -25th - No School due to Thanksgiving Break
December 7th - PVE December Spirit Day
December 9th - 4th Grade Indiana's Birthday
December 20th - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1 & Winter Parties
December 21st -January 2nd - No School due to Winter Break
ZCS 2022-2023 School Calendar (click for the district calendar)
PVE Dad's Club Tailgate - September 16th!
- Location: Jennings Field (next to football stadium)
- Time: 5:00-7:00pm
- Tickets sold at the event - cash or Venmo at the gate
- $5 per person (4 - adult) - free for children 3 and under
- Please bring your own chairs!
- There will be food for dinner, games, and FUN!
We can't wait to see all of you and your kids on September 16th! This event is for the WHOLE FAMILY, not just dads and kids!
Adam RitterPVE Dads Club President
PVE Student Pianists!
We have been so luck to have two students play for us at arrival the last two Friday mornings! Esther played for us last Friday, 9/9 and Charlotte played for us today, 9/16! They both did just an incredible job! It makes such a difference to our arrival when it is flooded by music played by our students.
Please visit the sign-up link below to schedule a day for your child to play during morning arrival.
- We would like the pianists to arrive around 7:40am and play until the 8:00 o'clock bell. The parents of the child playing are welcome to stay the whole time and enjoy as well! Please note that siblings are more than welcome to share the playing time if you would prefer.
We are looking forward to celebrating your child's passion and talent for music!
Constitution Day - September 17th
Constitution Day is on September 17, 2022. If you would like to learn more about Constitution Day, please check out the National Endowment for the Humanities who provides content on the Constitution through the EDSITEMENT web site: http://edsitement.neh.gov/constitution-day
Additionally, Saturday, 17, 2022 is Smithsonian Day and many of our local museums will have free admission on September 17, 2022. Please check out Indy’s Child website for more information regarding free admission to Connor Prairie, Eiteljorg Museum, Indiana Historical Society and other locations. Indy’s Child Website
Jog-A-Thon Spirit Week
- Monday 9/19 - “Blast Off” Pajama Spirit Day!
- Tuesday 9/20 – Let’s “Rock-et” Crazy Hair/Hat Spirit Day!
- Wednesday 9/21 – “Reach for the Stars” Red Carpet GALA Spirit Day! This will help celebrate both our Excellence in Literacy Award and Jog-A-Thon!
- Thursday – 9/22 –“PVE is Out of this World" Outer Space Wear or ZCS/PVE Spirit Day!
- Friday – 9/23 “The Final Countdown” Jog-A-Thon Day! Wear tennis shoes, shorts, and t-shirt – students will change into their Jog-A-Thon shirt at school.
"Reach for the Stars" Red Carpet Gala Day - Wednesday, 9/21/22
Wednesday, 9/21/22 - Fancy Dress/Gala Attire Spirit Day for ALL (please send in shoes for recess and/or PE if needed) - Staff will also be dressed to impress in gala attire on this day!
- Red Carpet roll-out for bus and car riders at arrival!
- VIP photo booth set up on the lower café stage with AWARD.
- Lunch rooms will be decorated in gala fashion and students will be given a special cookie dessert - FREE to ALL regardless of whether they buy a lunch. *For those with food allergies, information will be sent by classroom teacher to determine if an alternative is required for your child.
- ALL students will be given a special keepsake - so look for that in their backpacks!
- Classrooms will each have their own additional ways to celebrate during the day.
In addition, PTO is providing a special lunch for PVE Staff and all staff members will receive a keepsake on this day!
Times and Preparation Details
- 8:15-9:15 - 3rd Grade
- 9:25-10:10 1st Grade & AM Preschool Classes & Cobos/Hlade/Seymour
- 10:20-11:20 - 4th Grade
- 11:30-12:30 - 2nd Grade
- 1:20-1:55 - Kindergarten & PM Preschool Classes
Thank you so much to the volunteers who signed up to assist with course safety and other jobs this year. When volunteers arrive at school, they will go directly outside of Door 1 to check-in at a table. There is no need to stop at the office or come inside the building.
Spectator Section: For those who would like to come cheer on their PVE student, you may do so from the designated spectator area, which will be in the bus lot on the sidewalk between the recycle bins and Door 34. Please do not check in at the office. For the health and safety of all, we respectfully request that you take your photos and cheer from the spectator area only.
Preparation Tips for Jog-A-Thon
- Hydrate – Have your child(ren) drink more water than usual up to 2- 3 days ahead to hydrate properly for the event.
- Eat a healthy dinner the night before Jogathon - Please consider one high in carbohydrates, like pasta.
Discuss with your Child(ren):
- Importance of Pacing – Remind your child(ren) to start off slow and gradually increase pace as the time elapses, depending on how their body feels like they have been practicing in PE/Wellness Class. Let them know that walking the whole time is a great accomplishment too.
- Safety – Please remind them to not run at any time; only walking and jogging are permitted.
- Know Your Limits – Your child(ren) should be able to have fun the whole time and talk with all their friends as they walk or jog. If it feels hard, then they may be going too fast, and should slow down and only walk.
*Preschool & Kdg – 30 minutes for Jog-A-Thon
*1st Grade - 45 minutes for Jog-A-Thon
*Grades 2, 3, 4 – 60 minutes for Jog-A-Thon
- Listen to Parent Volunteers & Staff– Remind your child(ren) that this year our parent volunteers will be spaced out along the track in order to monitor for safety. They will remind students to get water, and ask those students to walk/take a water break if they appear to be overexerting.
- Spectator Area - As always, we will have a designated place for any potential spectators to view Jog-A-Thon. Please remind your child to stay on the track and just wave from a distance to any potential adults that they know who may come to watch.
Please check running shoes to make sure that they are not too big or too small – they're growing fast!
On Event Day:
- Dress in loose, lightweight, comfortable layers of clothing on Jog-A-Thon Day – Check weather!
- Please have your child bring his or her own water bottle.
- Wear running shoes with socks.
- Eat a good breakfast to fuel up for increased activity.
- Apply sunscreen before they head off to school to limit exposure.
- Consider having your child bring a change of clothes for after the event if you think they may sweat a lot or think dumping water on their head is a good idea! (Please remember dry socks!
- Remind your child(ren) of the discussion points above.
How does Jog-A-Thon work?
- Students will change into their Jog-A-Thon t-shirts at school and go out to the bus lot with their grade level at a designated time.
- All grades will do a stretch in their classrooms BEFORE and AFTER Jogathon.
- When they arrive in the bus lot the DJ will be spinning some Kidz Bop tunes and Soar will be in attendance! Once settled, the whole grade level will walk the first lap together to warm up our bodies and say our Jogathon cheer. After the first lap is complete the students will be given permission to gradually increase their pace until it is time to cool down.
- Staff will be monitoring weather and exercise conditions throughout the day, and modifications will be made, if necessary.
- In addition to staff, please note that parent volunteers will be spaced around the track to monitor students to ensure participants are hydrating and pacing safely.
- At the end of the cool-down walking period, students will head back to the classrooms to cool down, enjoy a healthy snack, and participate in a post-Jogathon stretching. If your child's time for Jogathon is later in the day, the snack may be eaten before the event takes place.
- Students will wear/take home their Jog-A-Thon t-shirts.
Jog-A-Thon Donations and Prizes
Thank you to everyone who has already turned in their donations, and/or donated gift cards for our Early Bird Drawings! As you can see (image attached) we have raised over $10,000 so far towards our goal of $39,000.01.
We have two more early bird drawings:
- September 19 - 6 gift cards
- September 23rd - the "BIG" prizes (astronaut helmet, stomp rockets, space squishmallows, and more!)
Please be sure to make donations by September 22nd in order to get your child's name into the early bird raffles!
Donation Payment Link - Click the link below for both online donations AND to indicate that you donated via cash/check as well. Please note that cash/check donations will only count towards your student and classroom if submitted through the online website, linked below.
- PVE Jogathon Donation Website - For those who want to donate via cash/check. Please enter your child's information, select cash/check payment at checkout, and send in the donation with the provided envelope found in the Parent Packet sent home on September 1st.
- Top Student Per Grade: Water Bottle & Gym Teacher or the Day
- Top Student School Wide: Principal for the Day
- Runner Up Student School Wide: Assistant Principal for the Day
- Top Participating Class: Special Class Prize & Extra Recess
- Highest Class Participation Per Grade: Choice of Spirit Day, Popsicle Party OR Extra Recess
- Top Fundraising Class in the School: $250 donation for classroom and Extra Recess
Whole School Celebration
- If we reach or surpass our goal of $39,000.01 - PVE will have an Out of This World Space Adventure Celebration sponsored by the Long Family (Valbridge Property Advisors)
Jog-A-Thon Cheer Lyrics (written by Mrs. Hampton)
PVE Counselors' Corner
Second Step is a research based social-emotional learning curriculum. Each week a 30 minute lesson during their “Strong Steps” time is devoted to strengthening these skills.
This week was Lesson Five in the Skills for Learning Unit.
- Kindergarten and first grade students learned about being assertive. They practiced using an assertive posture (face the person, head up and shoulders back) and tone of voice (calm, firm; respectful words). Assertive communication is the best way to ask for help.
- Second grade students learned how to identify feelings and that everyone feels a wide variety of emotions. Some feelings are comfortable and others are uncomfortable.
- Third grade students practiced empathy skills by identifying others’ feelings. Students learned how looking for clues on a person’s face or body in a situation helps you notice and understand how that person is feeling.
- Fourth graders discovered it is possible to have more than one feeling at the same time. Being able to understand that others might have complex feelings is an important part of empathy.
There are home link activities for all grade levels this week. Below are the home link activities if you would like to work with your student on an extension activity together!
- Kindergarten Home Links
- 1st Grade Home Links
- 2nd Grade Home Links
- 3rd Grade Home Links
- 4th Grade Home Links
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to reach out for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Tammy Mazelin PVE K-2 School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie Rieke PVE 2-4 School Counselor email@example.com
Fundaes Dining for Dollars - 9/21 from 4:00-8:00pm
- 2nd Grade Teacher Mrs. Weesies
- 3rd Grade Teacher Mrs. Schierholz
- 1st Grade Teacher Mrs. Knapik
- Principal Smith
- SLP Ms. Powell
- 1st Grade Teacher Mrs. McCauley
- 2nd Grade Teacher Mrs. Dawson
- 4th Grade Teacher Mrs. Mikesell
- 4th Grade Teacher Mrs. Matthews
- 3rd Grade Teacher Mrs. Williams
- Kdg Teacher Ms. Leach
- Kdg Teacher Ms. Hilton
- 3rd Grade Teacher Mrs. Westfall
- 1st Grade Teacher Mrs. Frye
- Wellness Teacher Mrs. Wanser
- Resource Teacher Mrs. DeLoddere
PVE STEAM/Wellness Family Night - 9/29 - Save the Date!
Family Fun, Fairytales, Facts and Fitness
Join us at PVE for our STEAM/Wellness Family Night!
Thursday, September 29th 6:00-7:30
We can't wait to invite our PVE families to our STEAM/Wellness Night at the end of September. Feel free to come for the whole time, or just stop in for a little bit! Please see what is being planned for this incredible night so far!
· Walk the nature trail and look for plants and animals around the grounds
· Enjoy playing on the lower playground
· Family Gaga ball – lower playground
· Basketball shooting – lower playground
· Family 4 square- lower playground
Indoors – Lower campus
· Incredibox – Create your own music using technology – lower computer lab
· Obstacle course – lower gym
· K-2 Fairytale STEM Challenges – STEM Room
· K-1 Math fact games – lower café
· Art activities in the art room and library
Indoors – Upper Campus
· Incredibox – Create your own music using technology- Upper computer lab
· Climbing Wall – Adventure Center
· Robotics Demonstration – Adventure Center
· Grades 3-4 Fairytale STEM challenges- PD Room
· Grades 2-4 Math Fact Games – Upper Cafe
· Gaga Ball – continuous and elimination – Drumfit room/Upper gym
ZCS GROW News and Updates
Fall Break Access Days
- ZCS GROW offers childcare during Fall Break, October 10th-14th at Pleasant View Elementary. This is for Preschool through 6th grade. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30. We will be taking 2 field trips: one to Beasley’s Orchard and one to the Indianapolis Zoo. On the other days kids get to go swimming at Zionsville High School. There is something fun planned every day that week!! The cost is $75/day for K-6th and $85/day for Preschool. Please register at www.ezchildtrack.com/zcsgrow/parent. If you have any questions, please contact Becca King at firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s a fun week to celebrate Fall!.
- Before and After-School Care (BAC) is now full at our PVE site.
- Kindergarten Bridge and Early Start Spanish are optional, fee based programs that “bridge” the time between the 7:50-8:00 arrival time for 1st-4th grade students, and the start of the instructional day for Kindergarten students, which is 8:50-9:00.
- Access Days Care provides a childcare option for when school is not in session for parents who need care for their children during some of the school breaks during the year.
- Eagle Rec (ERE) offers fee based programs in a variety of interest areas - see link above for classes offered at PVE
PVE Food Service/Café Information
ZCS Food Service News
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
PVE Café News
- Breakfast Offering will begin on Monday, October 17th!
- Lunch visitors will be welcome to come and eat with their child once again starting Quarter Two of the school year. We will be launching a new sign-up procedure for parents to utilize who wish to come and eat during their child's lunch time - more information to come after school gets underway!
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.