BAMS Staff Newsletter
November 16, 2014 - Volume 2, Issue 11
It's a Great Day to Be Great!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2015, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing sample rubric score from the September 2014 writing benchmark based on the school developed writing rubric (adapted from the Smarter Balanced writing rubric).
DPI School of Recognition
PBIS School of Merit
Routinely Take Literacy Risks
Be a CEO
Driving Question for 2014-2015:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare our students for the Badger Exam assessment (and other higher level thinking opportunities)?
Goals for SSR and SSW
- Provide a time for every student in our building to read and write.
- Ensure this time is a positive part of our students' day.
News and Notes
- Veteran's Day Program - Thank you again for helping to support our Veteran's Day Program. The veterans that I spoke with were very thankful to be able to speak to our students. Kudos to Theresa Galligan-Amundson for organizing another great event. Thank you Mike Riese and Anthony Rasmussen for the the music performances. Great work!
- Staff Medical Leaves - Sarah McDowell's last day before her medical leave is Monday, November 17th. We will be thinking and hoping for a speeding recovery. Joan Brenner's last day before her medical leave is November 25th. Again, we hope that the recovery goes well. They are both planning on returning after Winter Break. Please be thinking good thoughts for both of these great ladies!
- Cindy, Shelly, and Chris are AWESOME! - Wednesday is Educational Support Professionals Day. Thank you Cindy, Shelly, and Chris for all that you do! We are fortunate to have you in our building serving our students. We appreciate your effort and support!
- You may have seen another new face in the building last week. Matthew Jorgensen will be with Judy Jarvenpaa and our 7th graders until December 5th. Matthew is a initial practicum student from UWO. Please welcome him if you haven't done so already.
- If you feel driven to donate money or items for the Team Room, donations can be given to Kim Broten or Jenny Stahl. Do what feels good! Thank you to anyone that donated funds. We were able to restock some items for the Team Room.
Out of the Office
- November 17th - 1-3pm - SPED Aide Interviews
- November 18th - 10am - Admin Team Meeting, DMR
- November 20th - 10am-2pm - Family Medical Leave, Sheboygan
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
- The Oriole Way Team is trying something new this year with our days prior to Winter Break (December 22nd and 23rd). The team will be planning 2 days of activities to promote servitude and giving in our students. These days will also serve as one of our PBIS Celebrations for the school year. Please speak with any Oriole Way team member for more information.
- Thank you for continuing to be present in our halls and other school areas. This helps our students to make better choices.
- NEXT Meeting - December 10th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
Dates to Remember
- November 19th - Staff Meeting, 2:50-3:30pm
- November 20th - Oriole Leaders Meeting, 10:40-11:40am
- November 24th - School Board Meeting, 7pm
- November 25th - End of 6th Grade Exploratory
- November 26-28th - Thanksgiving Break
*See Google Doc titled "2014-2015 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Staff Meeting Agenda
Staff Meeting: November 19 - 2:50-3:30pm - DMR
What have we changed to prepare our students for Smarter Balanced?
SSW and SSR Role Playing
Review Goal of Writing/Reading Time
What would you do?
News and Notes
Drill Protocol with new radios
Next Meeting: December 12 - 12:45-1:15pm - DMR
Blackboard Connect Messages
Messages sent this week: None
*New messaging system (ParentLink) tentatively coming in December.