Navigators Keep Their Compass Pointed toward Success
This month we will wrap up STAAR testing and our end of year (EOY) MAP testing. The Math STAAR test window closes at the end of the day on May 12th and our EOY MAP testing will take place on May 15-17, with make-ups being done on May 18th and 19th. The EOY MAP scores will be the first glimpse into where your child is performing academically for their teachers next school year. While we know another test right after STAAR testing is NOT the best case scenario, we are confident that our students will bring their best to finish out these assessments.
Innovation Week begins May 18th and continues through May 23rd. Innovation Week is a week where we pause our curriculum and explore something we're passionate about. On, Friday, April 28th students were able to view commercials for all the classes being offered, so if your child is coming home talking about how they want to learn about World Cultures, Escape Rooms or Lip Synch then that's what they mean. Students were asked to select 3 topics they'd like to study and will be placed in one of those three classes for the 4 days. You will receive a letter with the class your child will be participating in by May 12th at the latest. Innovation Week days run from about 9:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Students are grouped across grade levels and across all campuses for some of the most fun learning experiences we'll have all year. Lunch will be scheduled by Innovation Week class and a lunch time will be sent home as well.
As we get to the final week of the school year we'll celebrate with our awards programs. If your child is receiving an award you will receive an invitation by May 16th. The dates and times for our awards programs are listed in the events section below.
The next few weeks are jammed pack with fun and excitement so please feel free to join us on campus when you can. On a personal note, I want to take a moment to thank you for the support you've shown us this school year. Navigator Country is an AMAZING place to be because of our supportive and caring community.
May Reminders and Events
- MISD does not allow food deliveries for students from services such as UberEats or Doordash. Parents are welcome to bring lunch and eat with your child during lunch time but please do not bring food to share with other students.
- If you are bringing a birthday treat for your child to share with their class at the end of the day please try to bring individually wrapped items so they are easier to pass out to students without having multiple hands touching unwrapped food.
- MISD requires all visitors to all district campuses to show a government issued ID before you are allowed to enter a building. Please help us to verify the identity and purpose for visit for all visitors by not holding the door open for others that might be standing behind you if you are entering our building. This practice helps to ensure the safety of all persons inside the building.
- May 8-12 Book Fair
- May 9 - Band Concert
- May 10 - Lunch with a Loved One
- May 12th and 13th 6th Grade Fine Arts Academy Musical: Moana (tickets can be purchased at the door) 7:00-8:30
- May 15 - 6th Grade and STEM Choir performance @ 7:00 p.m.
- May 16 - 5th Grade Fine Arts Academy choir, band, orchestra concert @ 6:30 p.m.
- May 15-17 end of year MAP testing
- May 18-23 Innovation Week
- May 22 5th Grade Comprehensive Awards @ 6:30 p.m.
- May 23 6th Grade Comprehensive Awards @ 6:30 p.m.
- May 24 Fine Arts Academy Awards @ 9:00 a.m.
- May 24 STEM Academy Awards @ 2:15 p.m.
- May 25 - Last Day of School
If you are interested in helping out at on campus please see the info below for opportunities this month.
- We are processing donated books this Thursday, May 4th if you want to join. Choose either 8:30-11:30 am or 12:30-3:30 pm or any time in those ranges.
- Inventory Friday, May 5th from 8:30-11 am. If you have a laptop you could bring, that would be awesome!
- All library books are coming back May 8th & 9th. If you are free any time, I would love some help shelving the 1,460 that are currently checked out. Even if it’s for 30 minutes here or there, I would greatly appreciate it!
- Teacher Appreciation Food Sign Up May 8-12: www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0A44A5A729A5FC1-teacher1
They especially need help with setting up and clean up.
- Book Fair Sign Up May 8-12: signup.com/go/NfTGEgo
- Lunch with a Loved One Wednesday, May 10th. Sign up for a Fast Pass here.
- If you are planning to attend the Volunteer Appreciation Tea on May 12th at 2:15 pm, please RSVP by May 5th here.
Readers Are Leaders
Check out the latest info from our amazing librarian.
Library books are due:
Monday, May 8th for Comprehensive
Tuesday, May 9th for Academies
Scholastic Book Fair - May 8-12, 2023 Come have Lunch with a Loved One on May 11th during your child's lunch time and then shop the book fair to stock up on great summer reading material!
State Testing Updates and Resources
The STAAR (State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness) test is changing! The STAAR redesign is a result of House Bill (HB) 3906 passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in 2019. The redesign will be implemented in the state summative assessments administered in the Spring of 2023.
-New Question Types (no more than 75% of the STAAR test can be multiple choice questions)
Click on the link below to see more information regarding the changes to the test.
Important Information and Helpful Links
- Did you know if your family qualifies for the free or reduced lunch program your family also qualifies for other benefits through the Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer? More information about the P-EBT can be found at the Texas Human & Health Services Department.To fill out an application for the free or reduced lunch program please visit this link Student Nutrition
District website: https://www.mansfieldisd.org/
Compass Traits (Navigator behavior expectations)