Hawk Squawk 8/20/20
Message from Principal Griffiths
Hallinan is a special place with caring, dedicated professionals, fabulous parents and amazing students - there's no place like Hallinan!
When I chose our theme, 'There's No Place Like Hallinan' back in June, I had no idea just how appropriate it would be. Construction, COVID and Comprehensive Distance Learning, oh my! Just like Dorothy and her crew, we may have to weather a few storms and adapt to a lot of changes before we get back to Hallinan! But we will persevere and keep moving forward on our journey.
Meet and Greet: We were so excited to be able to see all of you in person for Meet and Greet, but per ODE guidelines and District communication, all meetings will be online for everyone's safety.
- 8/20-8/28 - Parents/guardians must complete and submit The LOSD Student/Parental Consent & Technology Form prior to device pick up on 9/1. NEW!!
- Tuesday 8/25 - Teacher Email: expect notification in the late afternoon of your student's teacher and link to sign-up for Meet and Greet
- Tuesday 9/1 - Supply Pick-up for all students (LO Online and Hybrid): device, charger, curriculum/materials and supplies as needed or pre-ordered school
- Wednesday-Friday 9/2-9/4 - Virtual Meet and Greet and Smart Start (you'll receive sign-up links from your classroom teacher on 8/25)
School Supplies: If you ordered school supplies through the PTO, they will be available during Meet and Greet for pick-up. If you did not order school supplies last spring, the recommended supply lists can be found here, feel free to purchase supplies that you need or use supplies that you already have at home. If your family needs assistance with supplies, please contact me.
Class Placement: You will receive teacher and cohort notification from your student's teacher on Tuesday evening, 8/25.
Students in the AM cohort will have their math and language arts classes in the morning and their science, social studies and health, music, PE, and innovation in the afternoon. That schedule is flipped for students in the PM cohort.
We received a large number of requests for cohort placement. Our priority is to create balanced classrooms. Our placement teams consider many factors including, but not limited to: number of students, gender identity, TAG, students with IEPs/504s, program placement and siblings. This year, we are also considering cohort sizes based on ODE and OHA guidance as we maintain an even number of students in the AM/PM cohorts. As per School Board decision on July 27, students with last names starting with A-K will be in the AM cohort, and last names starting with L-Z will be in the PM cohort. Because we must maintain balanced classes, for some grade levels, the A-K and L-Z division may be heavier on one side vs the other, thus requiring a shift from one cohort to the next based on the number of students. Placement requests must be received by 8/20 at 10 pm. Requests received after that time will not be considered.
Placement teams will be meeting on the first day of their teacher contract. Families will receive their class/cohort placement on the evening of Tuesday, August 25.
If your student will not be attending Hallinan in the Fall, please email Lee Gates at email@example.com (or reply to this newsletter) so we can plan accordingly and remove you from further communications.
There is a lot happening over these next couple of weeks. We'll do our best to keep you informed. And, we'll all get through this together. Hallinan is home to me and I want it to feel that way to you and your family.
Have a great weekend!
Verify Student Info Before Returning to School
LOSD thanks all the parents who have already verified their students' information for the 2020-21 school year. If you haven't done so yet, please to log into ParentVUE and review/update your students' information through the Register/Verify tab. This benefits both families and schools by:
- Ensuring that schools have accurate information to reach parents and other contacts in both emergency and non-emergency situations. Verification is important even if your contact information has not changed over the past year because the school may have incorrect information from a previous year.
- Allowing parents to review the health conditions on file at your student's school.
- Enabling distribution of electronic devices covered by the district's Technology Agreement
The verification window closes September 18, 2020.
If you have forgotten your ParentVUE password, go to the login page, click "I am a Parent," then click "Forgot Password." If you are unsure whether you have a ParentVUE account, contact Lee Gates at firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance with the verification process, refer to the user guide on the LOSD website or contact Lee. Please note that verification is not part of the ParentVUE mobile app. However, a button in the app allows you to open verification in a web browser, or you can log into ParentVUE on a computer.
ODE State Assessment Notice
Hallinan Renovation Update
The Hallinan Elementary Renovation Project will bring significant improvements to the forty-year-old facility, including upgrades in safety and security, technology and seismic and infrastructure.
Here is an update for the past week - we are getting closer!
- Exterior brick is completed with new water barrier installed behind brick. Brick sealer will be applied after manufacturer required cure time.
- All roofs are dried in with new insulation installed and roof cap sheet being installed.
- Sidewalks are being installed.
- Entry canopy concrete footings and columns are completed.
- Entry canopy is being framed currently.
- Interior mechanical, plumbing & electrical rough in is completed.
- Drywall, taping & texturing is underway.
- Outdoor classroom is in for City permit.
Office Contact Information
At this time, Hallinan Elementary is closed for renovation and summer break. The best way to reach us is by email. Please contact Lee Gates if you need to schedule a meeting.
Office Phone: 503-534-2353
Principal Melissa Griffiths - email@example.com
Secretary Lee Gates - firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary Linda Stevens - email@example.com