Ms. Sizemore's Class Newsletter
December 5- December 11: Book Fair
Wednesday, December 10: Festival of Lights (program at Dickson) Cost is $2.25.
Thursday, December 11: Hour of Code @ 8;15
Monday, December 15: Field Trip, Pack Library
Tuesday, December 16: Winter Program
Friday, December 19: Pajama Day, Gingerbread Houses
Festival of Lights
- Thanks to Charlotte (Maya's mom) for walking with us to the library before Thanksgiving.
- Thanks to Kelly (Alastair's mom), Stephanie (Ella's mom) and Amy (Stella's mom) for going with us the NC Arboretum.
- Thanks to Kelly (Alastair's mom), Lorne (Gabriella's dad) and Rachel (Cassie's mom) for walking with us to the library on Monday.
- Thanks to Hadley's family for providing delicious, healthy snacks before the break.
What We're Learning!
Math- Students are using what they know about place value to solve addition and subtraction problems. We are learning a new game called Close to 20, which is giving students practice with adding 3 addends. They are also practicing their basic math facts by adding number strings (Example: 1 + 4 + 4 + 9). They are playing a game called Beat the Calculator to see if they can total up a number string faster than a partner can add it up on a calculator. We have some pretty speedy kids in our class.
Reading- We are beginning to discuss character traits and how text details help us get to know our characters better. As you are reading at home, please talk about character traits. Students continue to work on retelling a story, both orally and in writing.
Writing- Following our trip to The Nature Center earlier in the year, students chose an animal they wanted to learn more about. Students are in the process of using Book Creator to make e-books about their animals. We will have an author celebration when these are complete.
- Second grade began piloting iPad a few years ago, so there are 2 class sets that can be rotated among the five second-grade classes. We just started our rotation with the iPads and will be working to integrate them to our everyday learning.
- In our weather unit, we are learning how technology makes data collection more accurate. When we were at the Arboretum, students used digital anemometers which are used to measure wind speed and I just ordered one for our classroom. With Mr. Emry's help, we used the digital probes to collect weather data all day yesterday.
- Hour of Code- We will be participating in the Hour of Code Thursday, Dec. 11 at 8:15. Parent volunteers would be greatly appreciated.
- Today, students did an interest inventory and took a placement test for a new program called myON. It is a digital library with thousands of digital books students can read and review. Over time, the program will get a feel for each student's interests and suggest additional books they might want to read. We will send home a letter before the break so you will know how to help your child access these books from home.