A Note From The Principal
Welcome to November Sunnyland Families!
It has been a pleasure to see and talk to so many families during parent – teacher conferences. These important meetings will continue for the next couple of weeks. Please do not hesitate to ask your student’s teacher any questions you may have about their progress academically or socially.
November is Native American Heritage Month. The acknowledgment of Native American peoples began with a week in 1976 and a month in 1990. Growing up in small towns in Missouri and Iowa I was not aware of anything, but the popular Eurocentric history taught in that time. Only when I began working in a school with a significant Indigenous population did I learn a fuller truth of a history that includes genocide and settler colonialism. It is with care and honesty that we hope to teach our students to have a more complete understanding of Native American peoples and their ways of knowing and being that leads to appreciation and valuing of cultures different than our own.
In October we hosted Dr. Keiran O’Mahoney from Neural Education for a parent night and a day of staff learning. Dr. O’Mahoney was clear that three factors have significant influence on a student’s ability to learn:
1. Sleep – Children need 10 – 12 hours of sleep a night. They should have the same bedtime and wake up time regardless of the day of the week. Yes, that means staying up late and sleeping late on weekends should be limited.
2. Exercise – Children need to move their bodies – before school and after school as well as during school.
3. Diet – Children need high quality nutritious foods.
Please join us for Coffee and Conversations on Wednesday, November 20th at 8:15 when I will share more information from Neural Education.
Lastly, holiday time is fast approaching. For some families the holiday season brings pressure that results in stress and worry. As a Sunnyland community we’d like to ask for your help. You received a message recently asking you to consider donating gift cards if you can contribute to others. This link will take you to sign up genius to help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080c44a8aa2ca3fa7-sunnyland
If your family is in need, please fill out the form at this link: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=wCFn_eR3jUS0OOIfXCvWdeCwsx4PDERPo4kHVUfVwxxUOVlHSFowVDVNMFVBOE1VSElTOEJTNlNIRi4u
We will do our best to meet as much need as possible.
Speaking for all the staff at Sunnyland, it is a privilege to work with your children daily. We are grateful for the trust and faith you put in us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at 360-676-6446 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments, questions, or suggestions.
Important Dates to Remember
- Nov 1 NO SCHOOL
- Nov 1 All day conferences, 8:00-3:00
- Nov 5 2nd grade-N Bild EdVenture walking field trip to Cornwall Park, 8:15-11:00
- Nov 6 Dental Van-Sealant, 8:30
- Nov 7 Veteran's Day Assembly, 1:45-2:15
- Nov 7 Conferences, 1:00-6:00
- Nov 7 The "Big Read", library 6:00-7:30
- Nov 11 NO SCHOOL
- Nov 12 3rd grade-Buehrer EdVenture walking field trip to Cornwall Park, 8:30-11:30
- Nov 15 Fire Drill, 2:00 pm
- Nov 18-Nov 22 Wheat Week, 4th grade
- Nov 20 Coffee and Conversation, Library 8:00-9:00
- Nov 27 Early Release day for all Elementary, Middle and High Schools.
- Nov 28 NO SCHOOL-Thanksgiving
- Nov 29 NO SCHOOL
Is your child entering Kindergarten next year and currently not in preschool?
Our Promise K program is a free, full-day program (8:00 am-2:30 pm) located at several of the elementary schools in our district (sites determined based on enrollment).This program will focus on basic academic and social skills to help qualifying students get a jump-start toward success in school. The anticipated start date is January 28, 2020. Promise K will follow the district calendar; the last day of the school year is currently June 11, 2020.
If your child qualifies and you are interested in enrolling your child into our Promise K program, please complete the online application form http://bellinghamschools.org/promise-kindergarten/) By November 30th. If you have any questions, contact Kris Newberry at (360) 676-6488.
After-School Dinner Program Free for All Students 18 and Under
Bellingham Public Schools currently offers free hot dinner to all children 18 and under in the community. These meals are offered daily Mondays through Thursdays through June 4, 2020.
Dinner is served from 5 to 6 p.m. at Shuksan Middle School, located at 2717 Alderwood Avenue (at the corner of Northwest and Alderwood).
Please note: Accompanying adults are charged $4.25 All meals must be eaten onsite in the Shuksan cafeteria and “to go” options are not available. Dinner will not be served on the following
Thursdays that are middle school early dismissal days: Sept. 19, Oct. 31, Nov. 27, (Wed.),Dec. 12, Feb. 6, March 5, April 30.
The after-school dinner program is sponsored by the Child and Adult Care Food Program
(CACFP) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
For more information, contact Food Services for Bellingham Public Schools.
Brain in the classroom is new, get up to speed with your teacher and children, come to this PTA workshop.
October 17, Sunnyland Gym 5:00-6:00
Reminder of Bicycle Safety and Security
Sick and Injured Students
If your child becomes sick or injured at school, we need to have an emergency contact on file who can pick them up. We do not have the facilities to house ill and injured students and these students should not be returned to class or sent home on the bus. This is for the safety of them and other students.
Check your emergency contacts and make sure one of them is available to pick up your child if needed.
- Fever of 100 degrees or more-students need to be fever-free for 24 hours (without using fever reducing medication) before returning to school.
- Vomiting or Diarrhea-students need to stay home 24 hours after last vomiting/diarrhea.
- Strep Throat-Students need to stay home for 24 hours after the first antibiotic is begun.
- Vaccine Preventable Diseases (Whooping Cough, Chicken Pox (Varicella), Measles or Mumps)-See a healthcare provider and do not return to school until your healthcare provider says your child is no longer contagious.
Thank you for helping us keep all our students safe and healthy!
Sunnyland PTA Officers for 2019-20
Co-President – Ann Boustead 214-564-5201, email@example.com
Co-President - Nickie Rail 760-917-0468, firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer - Pat Kelly 360-325-5296, email@example.com
Secretary - Megan Porter 801-319-3366, firstname.lastname@example.org
Enrichment - Abby Atkins 360-389-1805, email@example.com
Enrichment - Cari Chan 360-201-9547, firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications - Allison Leckie 360-527-3096, email@example.com
Fundraising - Brianna Robbins 360-220-4770, Briannarobbinsrealestate@gmail.com