MTE Family Newsletter
December 11, 2020
Mountlake Terrace Elementary Little Hawks
Attendance Line: (425) 431-3364
ECEAP Preschool Office: (425) 431-3339
Edmonds School District : (425) 431-7000
MONDAY is Packet, Library Book, Art Supply, AND Spirit Wear pick-up from 10:30 to 5:00PM. Kindergarten - 6th Grade
In this issue:
- Message from Principal Mary Williams
- Family Chat with Principal Mary Williams - with Spanish Interpretation - December 14th
- MTE Spirit Wear T-shirts are here for every Kindergarten through 6th grade student! Pick them up on Monday!
- Move 60 Registration for Spring PLAY HARD. EAT HEALTHY. LIVE WELL. (K - 6th)
- Ukulele Club starts in January! (3rd - 6th)
- Winter Break Free Meal Service
- Clothes for Kids
- Reminder - Spirit Week - December 14 - 18
- Reminder - Virtual Scholastic Book Fair! December 1 - 14
- Student and Family Self Referral Form (in newsletter every week)
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS
- Community eFliers via Peachjar
- Helpful Links
Message from Principal Mary Williams
As Winter Break quickly approaches I have been thinking of fun things I can do with my kids at home that are inexpensive/free and fun. I thought that there may be others of you that are looking for fun winter activities to do together with your families.
So here are a few ideas for you:
- Visit the local spots with the best lights (there seem to be a lot of them this year)
- Put lights up at your house (regardless of what you celebrate, this can be a nice thing to do just to bring light during such a dark time of year)
- Bake cookies
- Go for a winter hike
- Drink hot chocolate with marshmallows (preferably in pajamas)
- Send cards to people you care about
- Attend a virtual concert (there are lots of free concerts happening right now)
- Read together
- Have a karaoke night
- Have a family movie marathon
- Go ice skating
- Learn about a different culture and their traditions (try making some special foods you find when learning)
- Make edible outdoor decor that can feed the birds and squirrels (pinecone bird feeder, strings of popcorn and berries) (How to make a Pinecone Bird Feeder)
- Make paper chains out of construction paper (or snowflakes)
- Play board games or card games
- Make homemade playdough (Playdough Recipe)
- Build a fort out of blankets
- Have a family sleepover in the living room
- Dress up for a family dinner
Most importantly; relax, enjoy each other and have fun!
One more week until Winter Break!
Yours in learning,
Mountlake Terrace Elementary
Family Chat with Principal Mary Williams - with Spanish Interpretation - December 14th
Meeting ID: 826 3405 8640
MTE Spirit Wear T-shirts are here - for Kindergarten through 6th grade students.
Hello MTE Community,
During the December 14th packet pick-up, PTO has a packet for Kindergarten through 6th grade. If you haven't picked up your Little Hawk Art supplies please come pick them up on Monday. PTO will also be distributing spirit wear t-shirts for every student in the school.
Thank you for supporting MTE PTO!
Text PTO to 88202 to receive text updates from MTE PTO
Spring Move 60 Registration PLAY HARD. EAT HEALTHY. LIVE WELL.
"Choose to Move 60!" fall session will wrap up on January 29, 2021. We had over 1,700 students enrolled in the fall session which was awesome! We know that students that participate in exercise, physical activity, and movement focus better in school, sleep better, feel healthier, and have lower rates of depression. We encourage all K-6 students to register for the spring session. The program is FREE, online, and available to all elementary students! Here is a video from our Edmonds School District physical education teachers that you can share with families on the importance of physical activity: The Importance of PA
Move 60! Spring Session starts February 8th. For information about registering for the spring session Move 60 Registration
Any student who signs up for a Move 60 At-Home Equipment Bag on the registration form can get one for free! The bag has the same equipment as the equipment kit from the fall session (jump rope, scarf, paddle, rubber playground ball, and bean bag).We will be distributing the Move 60 equipment kits at the following schools to students who are registered for the spring session and signed up for an equipment bag:
1. Monday, February 1, 2021 - Mountlake Terrace Elementary, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
2. Tuesday, February 2, 2021 - Hazelwood Elementary, 1:00 - 3:00 pm
3. Wednesday, February 3, 2021 - College Place Elementary, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
4. Thursday, February 4, 2021 - Cedar Valley Elementary, 4:00 - 6:00 pm
5. Friday, February 5, 2021 - Oak Heights Elementary, 1:00 - 3:00 pm
For more information about Move 60:
Like us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/move60/
PLAY HARD. EAT HEALTHY. LIVE WELL.
Ukulele Club starts in January!
Hello Little Hawks, it's your music teacher, Mrs. Harreld!
I know some of you have been waiting for this, and I'm excited to announce that Ukulele Club will be restarting in January over Zoom! We will have 2 meetings each week. One meeting will be for any 3rd-6th grade student that wants to start learning ukulele. This will be the beginner class. The 2nd meeting will be for 5th and 6th grade students that already know how to read tabs, and are ready to start learning how to play songs. Students that show up to the beginner class that demonstrate the necessary skills can move to the more advanced class after a period of time, regardless of grade. I am so excited to be able to offer this opportunity to our community. Families - if you want to attend these calls and strum along with us you are more than welcome! I will be sharing the sign up forms via canvas messages in January. That form is also where you will be able to indicate if you need to borrow an instrument, and learn when the meetings will be happening. In the meantime, you can check out our ukulele playlist on Youtube to learn the basics and some of our favorite songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3zlkG5V2Y&list=PLu8u0IyR21mOrU6I5eoUOTCXZj8b9XyHI
Have a fabulous break, I'll see you in the new year on Zoom!
Thanks all, I'm so excited to be able to start this!
Clothes For Kids is still open for school wardrobe shopping by appointment only.
If your family is in need of school clothes or warm winter gear, please call our school office - (425) 431-7894 so that we can refer you to Clothes for Kids. Any student in Snohomish County or the Northshore School District (Head Start/ECEAP through 12th grade) who requests help is eligible to receive free school clothing from Clothes For Kids. School clothing starts at size 3T and goes up to plus-size teen.
Please note that Clothes for Kids will be closed from December 21-January 3 for the winter break. They will reopen on Monday, January 4, 2020.
Clothes For Kids
MTE Scholastic Book Fair - DEC. 1 - DEC. 14
Our Book Fair is online! Support our school and help your child discover new books, favorite characters, complete series, and more! You'll love the fun new option to shop for Book Fair exclusives directly from the interactive booklist and enjoy free shipping on book-only purchases over $25.
Come have a fun social zoom with your favorite staff and friends.
Mrs. Nakkour and Ms. Kelly will be joining you to have fun, play games, and introduce special guests!
Time: 11:45 - 12:15
Zoom link: https://edmondsschools.zoom.us/s/81208370779
Student and Family Self Referral Form
Mark your calendars:
14 Packet and Library Book pick-up 10:30 - 5:00PM
14 School Spirit Day - PJ's and Pets Day - Wear your pajamas and bring your pet or your favorite stuffed animal to "school".
14 Family Chat with Principal Mary Williams- 10:00 and 6:00 - Zoom with SPANISH interpretation
15 School Spirit Day - Favorite Shirt or Top Day
17 School Spirit Day - Crazy Hat or Hair Day
18 School Spirit Day - Wear your Little Hawk Spirit Wear or school colors (red, black, and grey)
19 through January 3 WINTER BREAK - NO SCHOOL
Community eFliers via Peachjar
Peachjar is an app that will streamline the way you find out about different events, opportunities, etc. that are happening in the community and our school district.
You will receive periodic emails from Peachjar with events and activities related to your school community.
You can also always go to the Peachjar Quick Link on our school website.
Clothes for Kids cultivates confidence and a readiness to learn by providing students and their families the opportunity to choose a personalized wardrobe at no cost.
The “What is Family Access?” webpage provides step by step instructions on how to log onto Skyward.