Richardson Area Association of Black School Educators
What is RAABSE?
The mission of RAABSE is to enhance and facilitate the education of African American people; and to:
- Establish a coalition of African American educators and others directly or indirectly involved in the educational process.
- Create a forum for the exchange of ideas and strategies to improve educational opportunities for African Americans.
- Identify and develop black professionals who will assume leadership positions in education.
- Influence public policy concerning the education of African American people.
RAABSE 2016-2017 Executive Board
Dr. Duana Kindle-Past President
Ms. Ishii Tavarez-Vice President
Mr. Michael Thomas-Treasurer
Mrs. Charis Hunt-Recording Secretary
Ms. Tara Eldridge-Chaplin
Mrs. Tamesia Chatman-Corresponding Secretary
Ms. Angela Guesby-Parliamentarian
Mrs. Fannie Albert-Financial Secretary
Mr. Walter Smith-Historian
What's New with RAABSE??
RAABSE Board Retreat
December RAABSE Meeting
Keeping up with Legislation
2015 Legislative Priorities
Finance public schools to meet 21st century learning needs, including our growing and diverse student population:
- Ensure adequate funding for increased demands and standards for students.
- Fund targeted student interventions that have proven effective for teaching and learning, especially K-2 reading resources.
- Reserve public funds for public education by rejecting plans that would divert public monies to private entities.
- Preserve the defined benefits plan for retired educators and ensure financial stability of the retiree health care system.
Promote and protect research-based student learning fundamentals:
- Stop high stakes snapshot testing and ensure the nature of effective age and developmentally appropriate student assessments.
- Ensure nature of effective assessments—criterion-referenced, formative, multi-year, varied, ongoing.
- Restore access to voluntary, effective, full-day PreK programs.
- Give children a learning chance. Limit class size in K-4 (22:1). Extend class size limits to PreK (18:1).
Next RAABSE Meeting
Tuesday, Jan. 24th, 6pm
12800 Abrams Rd
Building Instructional Capacity". You can find more information about Dr. Crawford HERE.
- March 28th
- April 25th
- May 23rd
Are you registered for the TABSE Conference???
More than 700 educators from across the state of Texas gather annually for the TABSE State Conference to attend professional development sessions and educational workshops.
Educational leaders from throughout the state are planning the 2017 Texas Alliance of Black School Educators' (TABSE) 32nd Annual Conference which will be held in Houston, TX at the Hyatt Regency February 23-26, 2017. This year's conference theme is Their Lives, Their Future, Their Education...MATTER. The TASBE Conference will provide excellent learning opportunities designed to meet the needs of every educator.
The regular registration period ends December. 31, 2016.
Click HERE to register for the conference.
TABSE and NABSE
Texas Alliance of Black School Educators is an affiliate of NABSE. TABSE is committed to improving the educational achievement of African-American students by increasing the participation and expansion of Texas affiliates. TABSE further believes in identifying and promoting those activities, which are designed to sensitize the public at-large and educators, specifically to the needs of African-American students in academic and non-academic areas of development.
The National Alliance of Black School Educators is the nation's premier non-profit organization devoted to furthering the academic success for the nation's children-particularly children of African descent. Now in its 46th year, NABSE boasts an outreach to more than 10,000 preeminent educators including teachers, administrators, superintendents as well as corporate and institutional members. Found in 1970, NABSE is dedicated to improving both the educational experiences and accomplishments of African American youth through the development and use of instructional and motivational methods that increase levels of inspiration, attendance and overall achievement.
Submission for Member News
Do you have a favorite teacher, a wonderful Superintendent or an award-winning student that you'd like to nominate for this year's TABSE Awards? Click on the link for the nomination form.