ASD ES Student Led Conferences
What should parents expect?
Wednesday, March 26th, 8am to Thursday, March 27th, 3pm
American School of Dubai
What is the format for the conferences?
When do we visit special classes?
Families are encouraged to use the hour before or after the homeroom conferences to visit the specialist classrooms and learn about their child's learning in those classes. Families with more than one child in grades K-5 may take those children to the conferences.
Note: If your child’s classroom conference is from 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., you will need to visit specialists BEFORE 2:00 p.m. because their rooms will close at 3:00 p.m.
What is the format for special classes?
ART: Students and parents are invited to visit their own art room to touch base. Students from K2 through Grade 5 will have artwork displayed throughout the school along with guiding questions to encourage parents and children to talk about the pieces on display. Sample projects are also available in the art rooms for students to further share art processes, media, and techniques. For Grades 3-5, the following opportunities are available in the homeroom classrooms.
- Grades 3 and 4: Students have photos of their projects currently available on their Google Drive.
- Grade 5: Students have artwork posted in their e-portfolios accompanied by written reflections.
MUSIC: Students and parents are invited to visit their own music room to touch base. For more focused reflection, the following opportunities are available.
- K1 and K2: Visit Ms. Tina's music room (E104) where students independently lead parents through stations to show beat, rhythmic and melodic exploration.
- Grades 1 and 2: Visit Miss Roemer's music room (E202) for rhythmic and melodic reading and writing stations specific to first and second grade.
- Grades 3 and 4: Visit Mr. Arenas' music room (E240) for rhythmic and melodic reading and writing stations specific to third and fourth grade.
- Grade 5: Students share music learning and goal setting as part of their e-portfolio sharing in their homeroom classrooms.
PE: Students explain their learning at stations that have been set up.
- K1: Students go to the Blue Room and lead parents through stations to show what they know in P.E. / Movement class with Ms. Tina (Arenas).
- Grades K2 through 5: Students go to the elementary gym. Stations will be set up for students to share their learning. Grade 5 will also share some work from PE on their E-Portfolios during their classroom visits.
TECHNOLOGY: Students will share what they have learned about technology in their homerooms. You may also visit the tech coaches in the labs to learn more.
- Renee Williams: Tech Coach in E228
- Jenn Kellett: Tech Coach in E228
- Larry Kuhns: Tech Coach in E248 of the Library
LIBRARY: Visit the Elementary Library with your child to explore some learning stations where students can demonstrate their library and research skills. Take some time to browse and check out our new books. Librarians will be available to make reading suggestions or help connect you to our ebooks and databases.
LSS, COUNSELORS, AND SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST: Contact your child's learning support teacher, counselor, or the school psychologist directly to arrange appointments if you would like to meet during student led conferences.