Diversity & Equity Newsletter
Native American Heritage Month
President George H. W. Bush approved a joint resolution in 1990 proclaiming November “National American Indian Heritage Month." Each year since, the White House has designated November to be a month honoring and celebrating Native American Heritage.
Answering Tough Questions from Kids
When asking a question about a tough topic, you an follow these tips:
- Ask directly
- Be respectful
- Be genuine
- Accept no as a complete answer
- Try not to corner or put someone on the spot
When answering a question, you can follow these tips:
- Assume the person asking is being genuine
- Be truthful
- Be kind
- Don't make up stories or fairytales
- Admit when you do not know the answer
- Avoid sweeping generalizations
- Own up to your mistakes
- Keep conversations open for more information later
- If the question was asked "poorly" or with incorrect terminology, you can give an alternate way of asking with corrected wording
When questions come from kids, here are some additional tips to follow:
- If you need to look up the answer, invite the child to join you in researching
- Admitting when you don't know the answer but being excited to look it up builds trust in your relationship and the child's desire to learn
- If the question isn't appropriate for you to answer (ie. a student asks a teacher a body question), let the child know that you can not answer the question but their parent (or somebody else) may be able to
- Continue the conversation with the child
- Thank them for asking questions. This will encourage them to keep asking!
A Step Up Academy's Holiday Market
Saturday, Nov. 13th, 10am-4pm
520 Meetinghouse Road
THE PHILADELPHIA AUTISM NETWORK - SELF ADVOCATES (PAN-S) PRESENTS: Autism, Mental Health, and Self Care
Tuesday, Nov. 16th, 2-3:30pm
This is an online event.
Workshop developed by Aliki Koumenis.
Presentation by Aliki Koumenis and Robert Schmus.
A conversation about mental health, wellness, and self-care, from
the perspectives of Autistic Self-Advocates and professionals in the mental health field.
This button will take you to the registration/information page for the PAN-S Life on the Spectrum Series.
Brittingham's Dine & Donate Night!
Thursday, Nov. 18th, 4-9pm
640 Germantown Pike
Lafayette Hill, PA
Check Out These Resources!
Check out the Diversity Terminology & Language Glossary for current terms and language used to talk about diversity topics. This document will be frequently updated to keep on top of the ever-changing conversations about language usage.
The Diversity and Equity Committee will be hosting panel-style workshops featuring adults on the autism spectrum. Please fill out this form so we can see what topics and questions you might like to have covered during these sessions.
Do you have a topic or issue for the Diversity & Equity Committee to discuss? Have you found a resource, tool, etc you think would be beneficial to our goals? Do you have any questions or suggestions? This form is anonymous.