Hailey's Red River Carts
Ride now this is your fastest way to get places!
- Makes it easy to haul buffalo skins and meat after buffalo hunts
- Good for transportation and shelter during long trips and migration
- To get to homesteads
- Good for exporting furs
- To transport supplies from larger communities
- A defense mechanism during battles with the SIoux Indians
- Water can cause problem at the coast.
- Costs more money
Impact on North Dakota
- Fur trading became easier
- Métis people grew more in numbers.
- More horses were used to pull these carts.
How did it help settle the west?
- It was easier for them to carry more weight with the carts than it was with their own hands and body parts.
- It also made it easier to haul buffalo meats and animal hides.
Red River Carts