Room 25 News
News you can use...
It's hard to believe we are nearing the end of our second trimester! Teacher grade books close on Friday, Feb 14th in preparation for report cards and parent conferences in March. Therefore, all missing student work will need to be completed by that date. If your child is missing assignments, I will be working with them on developing a timeline to complete their tasks before Friday 2/14; parents will be made aware.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, Feb 14th: Valentine's Day Friendship Party. All parents are welcome from 1:15 - 2:15pm. More info to follow from our fabulous Room Parents! Information on our February community service project is listed below the academic update.
- School will be closed Monday 2/16 - Friday 2/20 for President's Week - enjoy the time with your kiddos!
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be held the week of March 10th. Students will be dismissed at 12:00 noon to allow teachers to meet with parents in the afternoon. Conference sign ups will take place on my wiki after the February break. I will email you when it is up and running!
- 4th Grade Play - Go West! Mark your calendar for Friday, March 21st @ 1:15pm in the FAB. We will journey through history heading overland to California during the Gold Rush. Please join us for a medley of singing, square dancing, instrumentals, and ole' western fun!
- Play Auditions Please check your child's Friday folder for information on next Wednesday's Go West! auditions (Feb 12th @ 11:55-12:30pm in the Music Room). Auditions include singing parts (3 possible songs) and instrumentals (must bring sheet music). Auditions for speaking parts will take place upon returning from the February break. Please refer to the flyer from Mrs. Royster (in WOW folder) specifics.
- Language Arts: We will be closing up our novel study next week on Patty Reed's Doll, a historical fiction book based on the overland experience and Donner Party (child appropriate though excluding the cannibalism). Your child has been working to complete three technology integration projects on this subject!
- Math: Part of your child's math homework next week will be to complete the sample SBAC (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) Practice Test WITH YOU! The SBAC is based on our new CCSS (Common Core State Standards). The primary purpose of assigning this as a parent-child task is so together you can discuss and identify major shifts in the way standardized testing will be conducted (and therefore, the way we learn has shifted - a deeper sense of proficiency). In summary, YOU and YOUR CHILD will take the sample 4th grade state math test as part of your child's HW by Thursday, 2/13. On Monday, I will explain to students how they can access the practice test online.
- Science: Chapter 7 test Wednesday, Feb 12th. We have completed our studies of Electromagnets and each student has completed their study guide for the upcoming exam. Students have been practicing writing out their answers to concepts to be tested in short response/essay form. I strongly encourage students to study with a classmate by quizzing one another in person, over the phone, or FaceTime/Skype; at the very least, parents should be quizzing students with the help of the study guide.
- Social Studies: By the end of next week, we will conclude our studies on the California Mission & Rancho Era. Each child has posted their CA Mission videos to Edmodo; I hope they have shared their technology creations with you! (Ask them to if they haven't!). In addition, next week each child will be partnered up to "apply" to start a rancho. Their integrated technology application (persuasive letter, hand drawn diseno, and use of a presentation app like iMovie or Keynote) will be presented to the Mexican government (aka. ME!) for consideration.
Kindness Coins for a Kindergarten Teacher
The children of Room 25 have been showing so much kindness by bringing in coins to help this teacher in need; coins will be accepted through the end of February. All coins will be donated to a fund set up in Trisha's name and will go towards the cost of treatment expenses not covered by insurance. Warm hugs and thanks go out to your thoughtful and kind kiddos for their selflessness and generosity!