Types of Child Abuse
- Child neglect is the continued failure by a parent or caregiver to provide a child with the basic things
- these include - Food, Clothing, Shelter, medical and dental care
- sexual abuse is someone using their power or advantage (threatening physical harm) over a child or young person and forcing them to participate in sexual activity
- Non-accidental injury or pattern of injuries to a child or young person usually caused by a parent or caregiver
- This abuse is sometimes in the form of excessive beatings, cigarette burns, shaking and attempted strangulation etc.
Emotional Abuse or Psychological harm
- where the behaviour of their parent or caregiver damages the confidence and self esteem of the child or young person
- can sometimes result in emotional disturbance or psychological trauma
- In some professions you are required to mandate a report if you suspect or notice a child is in harm
- mandatory reporting describes a legislation imposed on selected classes of people to report on suspected cases of child abuse.
How to Help?
How to make a Report
- You can make a report by phoning the Child Protection Helpline on 132 111
- If you require assistance call kids helpline on 1800 55 1800 or lifeline on 13 11 14
If you believe a child is in immediate danger call the police on 000