The Diplomatistic Saviour
Chiune Sugihara was a Japanese diplomat to the country of Lithuania. He was stationed in Kanaus, Lithuania. Chiune issued over 1800 visas in the period of a week. Roughly helping over some 2000 Jews. This all took place of late July. He even issued visas out of the train to Berlin!
What did Sugihara do at Kaunas, Lithuania?
- Issued roughly 1900 visas.
- Japan's Ministry of Foreign affairs declined four times
- Sugihara continued issuing visas from the train
- People treat these visas as heirlooms
- Sugihara recieved "Righteous Among Nations Award" one year before he died
- Sugihara was born January 1st, 1900
- Sugihara worked from 1940-1941 in Lithuania
- Sugihara two sons, Chiaki & Hiroki
- Sugihara served three years in a soviet prison.