Fourth Grade PEAK
March 12, 2015
Power of One Projects - Due by April 9, 2015
- Your child should be near completion with his/her project to impact the world/ community - please, don't let time slip away!
- Don't forget to take photos of your child in action. You can put photos on a flash drive, email them to your child's account or save them to Google Drive. We will write reflections in class. If you have any additional flyers or material your child used, he/she should bring that to class as well.
- IF your project is not working out as planned - I gave some "plan b" ideas to the kids:
1. Go to Freedom House (In As Much ) on Saturday morning from 9 - noon and ask what you can do to serve - stock shelves, hand out numbers, clean up, help people with groceries to the their cars.
2. Make cards for one of the nursing homes in town - deliver them and spend some time talking to older people. Listen to their stories!
3. Call City Union Mission - ask what you could do to serve.
4. Morning Glory Cafe -- in Kansas City (you have spring break coming up - you could volunteer in one of many ways over spring break:
- Volunteers have many opportunities to be involved at Morning Glory Ministries. Volunteers can come one time or commit to a weekly or monthly date.
- Early risers can participate in Morning Glory Cafe where volunteers typically arrive by 6:30 am to prepare, serve and distribute breakfast to our guests every Tuesday through Friday. By 9:00 clean up is finished and our volunteers can proceed with their day.
- Mid-morning offers an opportunity to be help in our office of Emergency Assistance. Volunteers typically arrive by 8:15 am to sort, organize or interview our clients who come to seek assistance. Tuesday through Friday our EA office is open to clients.
- Saturday weekend warriors have a chance to assemble 600 sandwiches and prepare the sack lunches that are distributed over the weekend. These volunteers also help with clean up after the meal is complete and are typically finished by 1:30 pm.
- Sunday volunteers can assist packaging up chips and cookies for the lunches which they help to distribute to the guests of Hospitality House. Volunteers arrive by 11:30 to serve and clean up after the meal. They are finished with their duties by 2:30 pm.
- WEBSITE: http://www.morningglorycares.com/volunteer.php
THEME: Kids CAN
- Students finished persuasive nomination speeches.
Students published writing on electronic Tackk boards.
Students finished work on public speaking techniques: eye contact, gestures, voice intonation
All students finished filming speeches. We are editing the speeches on a MAC computer with the green screen editing tool. I am really excited at how the speeches are turning out!
- Students will make a bumper sticker with a slogan and trademark for his/her humanitarian.
- Each student will write a radio script to advertise his/her humanitarian's positive impact on the world. We will record and edit radio commercials.
- Science: Students have a checklist to prepare for our Consumer Report Testing Day. We will test on Thursday, March 26. Your child should have 3 of each brand he/she is testing plus any additional supplies (cups, napkins, etc) needed. Plan on at least 15 testers. If you need to put product on a paper plate or napkin - please provide those as well. Your child should also bring a water bottle on the testing day! Please discuss the test with your child. In class, we are making surveys, rating sheets, testing directions, etc. Here is a list of the products the students selected to test:You can bring products next week if they don't spoil (i.e. potato chips, powdered donuts, etc. )
- Topic Study: We continued to work on our topic study projects.
- Math: We continue to solve math problems.
I movie and Video techniques
- Students are learning how to shoot video and edit it through Imovie. Students are examining a variety of video - shooting techniques!
- Today students participated in an online quiz to test our knowledge of scientific vocabulary. The kids like it so much that some want to use this format for a topic study project for their independent research topic.
- Students learned to cite sources through Easy Bib - what an awesome research tool!
- Students are actively using their Chrome books
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account - we should have fun with this!
- We introduced Edmodo another online learning tool!
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. I will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some may even make it to real twitter. Tweets should be relevant to our learning day.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online.
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study.