MARCH 2019 - DATES TO KNOW
Here are notable dates this month for students and parents to know:
- March 1 - Minimum day schedule - school dismissed at 1:15
- March 9 - AHS Boosters Crab Feed
- March 22 - AHS Pops Concert
- March 25-29 - AHS Springfest Week
- March 29 - Springfest Night Rally
MARCH 2019 - HIGHLIGHTED ITEMS
AHS Boosters Crab Feed
Tickets are available for the AHS Boosters Crab Feed! The Crab Feed is the primary fund raiser for AHS Boosters. Boosters generously supports all AHS athletics programs.
If you have questions about 2019 AHS Booster Crab Feed, email AHS.Boosters01@gmail.com or call Michelle Soares at 510-206-7872.
FUSD Parent Satisfaction Survey
The FUSD Parent Satisfaction Survey is available to parents through March 7, 2019.
Fremont Unified is partnering with Common Sense Media this school year on a 4-part Community Education Series on Digital Citizenship, technology trends, and online safety. Common Sense is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century.
Each one-hour evening workshop will cover diverse topics and is open to all parents, guardians, caregivers, friends, and families who want to learn more about the world our children are living in, so we can help them navigate through it more successfully and healthfully. Two of the workshops will be held at American High School. You can review the flyer here.
CALIFORNIA DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL
On February 25, 2019, the State Superintendent's office announced the 2019 California Distinguished Schools. We're pleased to share that AHS is among the recipients. This is a great recognition for our school. Only 162 secondary schools were selected this year and we are proud to be one of the recognized schools.
You can read more about the Distinguished School program and see all recipients at this LINK.
COURSE REGISTRATION - 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
Course registration for the 2019-2020 school year is underway. Counselors delivered presentations to students the last two weeks of February. For AHS students, the student registration forms are due on Tuesday, March 5 to their math teachers. For Thornton students, the registration forms are due Monday, March 4.
The AHS Counselors delivered a Parent Chat presentation on February 7, 2019 (LINK). This presentation covers common questions (particularly about AP and Honors courses) that they are regularly asked about.
Pops Concert - March 22
The Pops Concert will take place on Friday, March 22. This is an evening of good food and great performances. All proceeds directly support the AHS Music Program.
AHS student recognized
Congratulations to AHS 10th grade student Shreya Ramachandran. She was recognized with a "20 Under Twenty" award by the State Bank of India. She accepted her award at a ceremony in India.
AHS Mock Trial
Congratulations to the AHS Mock Trial team! This year's team ended their very successful season as a semi-finalist in Alameda County. Our Mock Trial team members are all superstars and they represented AHS very well!
Pops Concert - March 22
AHS student recognized
California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) - APRIL 2-11
AHS will administer the CAASPP from April 2-April 11 to grade 11 and grade 12 students. Please review this notice on the CAASPP administration.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress, or CAASPP, is the state academic testing program. CAASPP is a system intended to provide information that can be used to monitor student progress and ensure that all students leave high school ready for college and career. Like last year, CAASPP includes computer-based tests in English language arts, mathematics, and science. Students in grades 3-8 and 11 will take the computer adaptive tests in English and math in spring of 2019. Students in grades 5, 8, and an assigned high school grade will also take the tests in science. At AHS, grade 12 students will take the science test.
If you would like more information regarding your school’s schedule, please contact your school’s main office. Following the spring testing, students will receive individual score reports. Student score reports will be electronically distributed to parents/guardians in late summer/early fall and will include an overall score, and description of the student’s achievement level for English language arts, mathematics, and science if applicable. If you would like more information, please visit the Parent/Student tab of the CDE CAASPP Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/.
Students enrolled in the Spanish Dual Immersion programs at Blacow Elementary School, Grimmer Elementary School, Vallejo Mill Elementary School, or Hopkins Junior High School in grades 3, 4, 6, and 7 will also take the California Spanish Assessment (CSA).
Parents and guardians have the right to exempt their child from taking the CAASPP assessments. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s participation, please contact your school’s principal.
PTSA REFLECTION CONTEST
In this year's annual Reflection contest, American High School had a total of 13 entries: Literature (3 entries), Music Composition (1 entry), Photography (4 entries), and Visual Arts (5 entries).
Each submitted artwork was judged and three students' artwork were selected to represent American High at the FCPTA (Fremont Council PTA) level:
- Andrew Lee for his music composition titled "Warrior of the Wild"
- Michelle Lee for her poem titled "Dear Mom"
- Christine Wan for her art titled "Heroes, In Plain Sight"
At the FCPTA level, Andrew's music composition was selected to represent our school at the Peralta District PTA level and received the Award of Excellence. Additionally, Christine Wan was recognized for her beautiful artwork with the Rising Star Award. Congratulations to the winners and a big thank you to all the participants who put their time and effort into this competition!
Thank you to Mrs. Campos for arranging for the artwork to be judged and thank to all the judges!
SCHOOL ACCOUNTABILITY REPORT CARDS (SARCs)
Federal and state laws require school districts to make accountability reports available to the public online. Accountability report information is based on data and information from the previous year. Dates will run one year behind.
We are pleased to inform you that our district's School Accountability Report Cards (SARCs) are available in English, Spanish, and/or Chinese, as required. You may view the SARCs on the Fremont Unified School District web site at www.fremont.k12.ca.us under Resources & Contacts/School Reports, or by visiting your school office. To answer any questions regarding the SARCs, there are designated personnel available at each school site.
For more information about SARC requirements, see the California Department of Education (CDE) SARC web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/sa/.
UPCOMING PARENT EVENTS
Thursday, March 7th, 7pm
AHS Band Parent Organization Meeting
Tuesday, March 12th, 7:30pm
AHS Faculty Commons
Wednesday, March 13th, 6:30pm
DATES TO KNOW THIS YEAR
District Holidays (no school)
- Labor Day - Monday, September 3
- Veterans Day - Monday, November 12
- Thanksgiving Break - Monday, Nov. 19 - Friday, Nov. 23
- Winter Break - Monday, Dec. 24 - Friday, Jan. 4
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Monday, January 21
- Presidents’ Day - Monday, February 18
- Spring Break - Friday, April 19 - Friday, April 26
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 27
Minimum days (school dismissed at 1:15)
- Friday, September 21
- Wednesday, November 14
- Thursday, November 15
- Friday, November 16
- Friday, December 21
- Friday, March 1
- Thursday, April 18
1st Semester Finals (school begins at 9:00 and dismissed at 1:30)
- Wednesday, January 23
- Thursday, January 24
- Friday, January 25
2nd Semester Finals (school begins at 9:00 and school dismissed at 1:30)
- Monday, June 10
- Tuesday, June 11
- Wednesday, June 12
- PTSA Grad Nite - Friday, June 7 - Sunday, June 9
- Senior 2nd Semester Finals - Wednesday, June 5 and Thursday, June 6
- Senior Debt and Final Transcript Checkout - Monday, June 10
- Senior Graduation Practice - Tuesday, June 11
- AHS Graduation Ceremony - Wednesday, June 12, 3:00 p.m. at TAK Stadium
ATHLETIC CLEARANCE REGISTRATION - FamilyID
We are excited to announce that we are now offering the convenience of online registration for American High School Athletics through FamilyID (www.familyid.com). FamilyID is a secure registration platform that provides you with an easy, user-friendly way to register for our athletic programs, and helps us to be more administratively efficient and environmentally responsible. When you register through FamilyID, the system keeps track of your information in your FamilyID profile.
The best thing is that you will enter your information only once for each family member for multiple uses and multiple programs, so you will only have to remember your login information to be able to resubmit for each season and/or year.
BEFORE YOU REGISTER:
If you want to upload your physical, please make sure you have a clear, legible copy from your doctor (M.D. or D.O. only) including the office stamp, doctor signature, and date. The physical must be within the last calendar year for it to be valid. If you still wish to bring a hard copy in, you may turn it in to Office B after you complete the online registration process.
Even if you have already completed the paperwork process for a fall or winter sport (2018-19), you will need to redo it on FamilyID if you wish to participate in a Spring sport. If you submitted a physical for the fall or winter season, we have it on file and you will not need a copy of it. Registration for Spring sports will open on Wednesday, December 5, 2018 on FamilyID and close on Monday, February 11, 2019.
INFORMATION NEEDED TO REGISTER:
It will be helpful to have the following information handy to allow for accurate completion of your online registration.
- Emergency Contact Information
- Medical insurance information
A parent/guardian should register by clicking on this link: https://www.familyid.com/american-high-school
Follow these steps:
- To find your program, click on the link provided by the Organization above and select the registration form under the word Programs.
- Next click on the green Register Now button and scroll, if necessary, to the Create Account/Log In green buttons. If this is your first time using FamilyID, click Create Account. Click Log In, if you already have a FamilyID account.
- Create your secure FamilyID account by entering the account owner First and Last names (parent/guardian), E-mail address and password. Select I Agree to the FamilyID Terms of Service. Click Create Account.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your new account. (If you don’t see the email, check your E-mail filters (spam, junk, etc.).
- Click on the link in your activation E-mail, which will log you in to FamilyID.com
- Once in the registration form, complete the information requested. All fields with a red* are required to have an answer.
- Click the Continue button when your form is complete.
- Review your registration summary.
- Click the green Submit button. After selecting ‘Submit’, the online registration will be complete. You will receive a completion email from FamilyID confirming your registration.
- In order to complete the registration process, you will need to pick up your clearance sheet from Office B to take to tryouts and if you have a donation check, you can bring it in at this time as well.
At any time, you may login at www.familyid.com to update your information and to check your registration(s).
To view a completed registration, select the 'Registration' tab on the blue bar.
- If you are having trouble following the directions above, you can watch a brief new user video to help create an account here.
- If you need further assistance with registration, contact FamilyID at: email@example.com or 888-800-5583 x1.
- Support is available seven days per week and messages will be returned promptly.
Fremont Unified School District is now accepting donations online! Follow this link to make your donation.