Principal's Message May 31 - June 3
Dear Peabody and Watkins community,
This was a tough week for all of us. I hope you were able to hug your loved ones a little tighter and a little longer.
At school, our Mental Health team was prepared to support students in need. Thankfully our teachers provide a safe and loving environment, which minimized the impact of this week's tragedy on students' well-being. Our staffs gathered to discuss the advice from the experts on how to respond to students who want to discuss the news. Huge thanks to the staff, especially the Mental Health team, for supporting students and each other this week. Overall, we were able to continue with teaching and learning. Caregivers, you may want revisit the articles I sent earlier in the week ahead of the long weekend with your children.
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
- How to Talk to Kids About School Shootings | Common Sense Media
This week is one example of how we are able to love and support students. Our Student Panorama Survey results also support this claim. Our Loved, Challenged, and Prepared index increased 7 points from the fall administration and 15 points from last spring. All categories saw increases and all categories are at an all-time high. Community members can read more about the survey here.
- May 30- Memorial Day
- June 2- CSC Reflections due to APs and Berkowitz
- Postponed: June 2- Peabody and Watkins Staff vs. Stuart Hobson staff basketball game, 5pm.
- June 3- Popsicles and Pizza at the Watkins playground, 3:30 - 5:30 sponsored by the RCE group.
- June 6 - Rising PreK Play Date, Peabody Playground 3:30
- June 7- LSAT - new member elections (see below)
- June 10- Embassy Adoption Capstone Event (5th grade only)
- June 10- Peabody field day
- June 10 - Scholar Athlete Awards Banquet
- June 14- Watkins field day
- June 15- step up days at Watkins 1st - 4th graders
- June 17- Watkins 5th grade Promotion at Stuart Hobson
- June 17- Peabody Dance: Glitz and Glow Sticks
- June 20- No school, Juneteenth Observed
- June 21 - Kindergarten promotion
- June 24 - Last day of school for students
Asymptomatic Student Testing Schedule!
Every Friday: Asymptomatic COVID testing for students.
9:15 for Watkins
9:15 for Peabody (Kindergarten only - PK students all test at home weekly)
Memorial Day this Monday
REMINDER: RE-ENROLL TODAY!
PARCC is Complete!
All students and staff also deserve a huge shout out. PARCC is long and highly disruptive. Students in all grades endured schedule changes for weeks and yet all were able to keep their focus on learning.
5th Grade Year-End Events in June
Our team has been busy planning the end of year fun for our 5th graders. Caregivers, please take note of these exciting events in June!
- 7th - Stuart Hobson Middle School Step Up Day 9:30-11a and Rita’s Ice Social at 2pm
- 9th - Six Flags Field Trip
- 15th - Promotion Practice at Stuart Hobson
- 16th - Spring Dance on the Spirit of Washington
- 17th - Promotion at Stuart Hobson
- 24th - Last day of school for all students.