Columbia Heights Public Schools
CHPS Update | Dec. 21, 2022
Important Calendar Reminders!
- December 22 - January 2: Winter Break
- December 23, 26, 30 and January 2: District Office Closed
- January 3: Flex Learning Day (Students attend online and staff work on-site)
- January 16: Dr. Martin Luther King Day (no school but the District is open)
- January 30: No School for Grading Day (Mini Adventures & Adventure Club open)
CHHS's "Addams Family" Wins Spotlight Awards
Columbia Heights High School’s cast of The Addams Family received 16 honors through the Hennepin Theater Trust Spotlight Education Program. Spotlight Education is a high school theater awards program that sends trained theater professionals and educators to watch and assess participating schools’ theater productions. Over 100 schools across the state of Minnesota participate in the Spotlight Education program. Shows are awarded both group and individual honors.
The honors include:
- Honorable Mention for Overall Performance
- Honorable Mention for Ensemble Performance
- Honorable Mention for Dance Performance
- Honorable Mention for Overall Technical Team
- Outstanding Award for Lighting Crew
- Honorable Mention for Sound Crew
- Honorable Mention in a Leading Role for Malachi Tranby Jones as Wednesday Addams
- Honorable Mention in a Leading Role for Leo Pham as Gomez Addams
- Honorable Mention in a Supporting Role for Drake Kembitskey as Fester Addams
- Honorable Mention in a Supporting Role for Mathias Wheeler as Lucas Beineke
- Honorable Mention in a Supporting Role for Sophie Kuether as Alice Beineke
- Honorable Mention in a Featured Role for Rosie Smith as Grandma Addams
- Outstanding Award in Technical Leadership for Allison Giles, Stage Manager
- Outstanding Award in Technical Leadership for Hannah Severson, Light Board Operator
- Honorable Mention in Technical Leadership for Sakeena Janneh, Sound Board Operator
- Honorable Mention in Technical Leadership for Tristen Marquez, Music Operator
There were also four evaluator shout-outs: Ensemble Acting, Danquyen Le as Morticia Addams, Lily Kleinschmidt Pugsley Addams, and Brylee Torkelson as Lurch. Spotlight Evaluator Shoutouts are a distinction that has emerged to give recognition to those students who caught the attention of the evaluators.
Columbia Heights Super Fan Shirts for Sale as Fundraiser for NYC Study Seminar
CHPS Super Fan shirts are being sold for $15 by CHHS students at basketball games, swim meets and other events in the month of January. Online purchase is also available with shipping cost added at this link. This is a fundraiser for the NYC Study Seminar for our CHHS Band and AP Art Students.
Free Flu and COVID-19 Vaccines
Where: CHPS Family Center (1440 49th Ave. NE, Columbia Heights, 55421)
When: Thursday, January 19 from 4:30-7:00 p.m.
Bring your COVID Vaccination card if possible. You will not need your Health Insurance card or your ID.
$50 gift card for each COVID-19 Vaccine.
Community Vaccination Resources
Many students are behind in their vaccinations and it is important that students are fully vaccinated for their safety and for the safety of others. Please see the resources below for free or low cost vaccinations:
Neighborhood Health Source: neighborhoodhealthsource.org
- Appointments: Call 612.588.9411
- Interpreters available
- Patient Access Coordinators (PACs) available to help navigate enrolling in healthcare
- If you don’t have health insurance, they offer a sliding fee discount. They also accept most major insurance plans.
- Central Clinic: 2301 Central Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55418
- Fremont Clinic: 3300 Fremont Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55412
- North Metro Clinic: 10081 Dogwood St NW #100, Coon Rapids, MN 55448
- Sheridan Clinic: 342 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
Park Nicollet Brooklyn Center: healthpartners.com/care/ everyday/kids-health/no-shots-no-school/
- Immunization-only appointments available for school-age children who need vaccinations to attend school.
- You don’t need to be an existing Health Partners patient to schedule a visit.
- Appointments can be scheduled online at the website above
- Need to bring the barrier-free immunization form
CHHS ENCORE Starting January 9, 2023!!!
Attention all students and families – new ENCORE programs at the high school start the week of January 9! Reserve your space today! We’re offering board game club, coding club, investing club, DiscoverU with the University of Minnesota, comix club, female fitness, and esports this session.
The link to register is here:
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Johnson at email@example.com
Hylanders Have Heart
CHPS understands that winter can be a hard season for students, families and staff. Our school social workers and district nurse have provided many resources that are posted on our district website. Each student, staff and family are valued and are important to our school community! Please contact your school if there are needs that you have as our school leaders know of resources to provide additional support. #HylandersHaveHeart
CH Community Resilience Committee
A countywide Community Resilience Committee is looking for a couple of new members to broaden perspectives from underrepresented groups in its work to increase well-being for youth and the community. The committee operates at the request of the Anoka County Children and Family Council and is acting on a plan that addresses needs raised by community members. In 2023, it will meet approximately four times – likely by Zoom. This is a 1-2 hour per quarter time commitment. If you would like more information, or to be considered for a volunteer appointment to the committee, please contact Tammy Schmitz at 612-750-2306 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Activities Registration is OPEN for the following:
- Before School Strength Training- FREE! M, W, F from 6:45-7:45 a.m.
- CA Boys Basketball - Season starts January 9 – registration will close on January 4th
If you are involved in any of the following please register now:
- Speech Team
- Science Bowl
- One Act
- CA Musical
CHHS Students can now get into all Regular-Season Home Events for FREE with their student ID!!
Congrats to our CA Girls Basketball team on a great season!
After-School Activity Bus: We have 2 After-School Activity Buses every afternoon, they leave CA @ 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. and CHHS @ 4:45 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
Sports Physical for all Athletics
Every athlete participating in school-year sports must have a physical on file with the Activities Office. Student Athletes cannot register for the upcoming season without a sports physical on file. Sports physicals are valid for three years. 22-23 Sports Physical Form
More information can be found at the CHPS Activities Website or contact the Activities Office at 763-528-4511
Translation of Newsletters
Did You Know?
You can translate this newsletter, change the text size or view in high-contrast mode! Look for the Accessibility icon and click to view all your options!
¡Puedes traducir este boletín, cambiar el tamaño del texto o verlo en modo de alto contraste! Busque el icono de Accesibilidad y haga clic para ver todas sus opciones.
Waxaad turjumi kartaa warsidahaan, waxaad bedeli kartaa cabbirka qoraalka ama waxaad ku arki kartaa qaab isbarbar dhig sarreeya! Raadi astaanta Helitaanka oo guji si aad u aragto dhammaan xulashooyinkaaga!
هل كنت تعلم؟
يمكنك ترجمة هذه الرسالة الإخبارية أو تغيير حجم النص أو عرضها في وضع التباين العالي! ابحث عن رمز إمكانية الوصول وانقر لعرض جميع خياراتك!
Barruu oduu kana hiikuu, guddina barruu jijjiiruu ykn haala walfaallaa olaanaatiin ilaaluu dandeessa! Mallattoo Accessibility jedhu barbaadaatii filannoo keessan hunda ilaaluuf cuqaasaa!
Koj puas paub?
Koj tuaj yeem txhais cov ntawv xov xwm no, hloov cov ntawv loj lossis saib hauv hom sib txawv! Saib rau Accessibility icon thiab nyem rau saib tag nrho koj cov kev xaiv
Creating worlds of opportunity for each and every learning.
All Belong, All Succeed
Location: 1440 49th Avenue Northeast, Columbia Heights, MN, USA