The History of the Smilodon
By: Ryyan Elsayed
What Time is Good for You?
The Smilodon first appeared 1.6 million years ago. Luckily for us, this fierce carnivore went extinct about 11,00 years ago. It was one of the few animals that lived during the last Ice Age. It was named by Danish naturalist and paleontologist Peter Wiullhelm Lund in 1842.
- Was the largest saber-toothed tiger (4-5 feet long, 3 feet high)
- Power- House Weighs about 440 pounds!
- Short, yet STRONG legs (specifically front legs)
- Had 12 inch long skull that housed 2 huge canine teeth (up to 7 inches)
- Extremely strong jaws opened to 120° made it east to pierce their preys
Family? Is that You?
The smallest and earliest of the genus Smilodon
Intermediate size between the S. Gracillis and the S. Populator
The largest and latest of its genus
Reasons for Extinction
See Me in Action!